Domain Manage

Whats everyone doing today?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by SF, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

What are your plans today?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

Testing some new flavours of eliquid, watching customers reactions when they try bacon and maple syrup, never gets boring (it's rank)

4. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Sounds good, do people really buy them flavours eww

5. boxerdog

Lol yeah there's a few out there that obviously didn't have the correct taste buds fitted at birth.
    So what's your plans for the day?
    Is anyone else getting up early to watch the fight?

6. nick-harper United Kingdom

nick-harper Active Member

Working today, don't think I will be able to stay up to watch the fight. I am hoping it won't be an anti climax after all of the hype.

7. fabpack United Kingdom

fabpack Active Member

Outside for a few hours, fixing some electric fencing at the stables :)

8. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Had planned to wash the car, cut the grass and pressure wash the conservatory, so far the little one has made sure ive not done any of that.

The missus now has it in her head we need a new Bed/mattress and bedroom furniture so no doubt my afternoon will consist of walking around super stores with a tape measure looking bored

9. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun Adam, anyone ever had a water bed?

10. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

Clean the ducks pond this morning.

Now eating a duck egg omelette.

Cutting grass this afternoon before getting piddled on wine tonight.

11. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Duck Egg omelete sounds nice, feet up red wine take away?

12. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

I ran a church bellringing lesson for 6 learners this morning. I had four helpers.

I'm ringing for a wedding at 2:15pm ... we'll ring for about 45 minutes. Good band of ringers (none of the learners!) so should sound nice...if you like the sound of church bells, that is.

13. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I might go for a bike ride later. I am now out on the mountain bike most evenings and definitely feel better for it.

14. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

It is! Fresher the eggs the better. Can't get anywhere near fresh from supermarkets / shops. Sometimes I get the chicken ones just after they have been laid, so still warm. Get them in a frying pan quick, and between 2 bits of local baker bread, with a bit of ketchup and ummmmm........... lovely :D

As for red wine and take away..... well no. will be either lasagne or spag bol and white wine. Can't stand red. Bleugh!

15. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

Will try to do BBQ now, weather outside isn't great here in Derby, but I got too much meat and beers at home + few friends over to watch the Man U game latter on...

At evening time will have girlfriend over and spend some time with her, than stay up all night into early Sunday morning and watch Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Hope Packman don't let me down, just put £50 on him at Bet365 ;)

16. boxerdog

Same here, just started to get back in to my biking, love riding round the countryside. I've just got a new bike, a carbon one, makes it a hell of a lot easier to ride as it's so light.

17. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Ah that sounds fun, it must be alot of pressure not to pull the cord at the wrong time. Sounds like a nice hobby.

18. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Thats just showing off now :D

19. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Thanks for that :)

Being able to 'strike' your bell at just the right time is a key part of ringing. We even have 'striking competitions' between more experienced bands - these can be a bit nerve-wracking.

It is a nice hobby. It's social, mainly secular (in case you wondered) and really satisfying once you've got a grasp of the basics. Inter-generational too - at last Tuesday's practice, I had 11 year olds ringing alongside Mike who's well into his 80's.

20. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Do you have to learn the tune before hand I am assuming or the correct timings, also what if the person before you rang a little late which then threw you off? or are you alone when ringing?

21. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

This is for Sean - If you're not Sean and have no interest in bellringing, skip this!!!

We learn/memorise the tunes, or 'methods' as we call them, beforehand. There are standard ones that are rung across the country. Others are made up every week - learnt, rung and then forgotten.

Each bell has a ringer, so a ten bell tower will have ten ringers when all the bells are rung.

When the bells are being rung normally, the bell starts with its mouth up, it swings down and round and back up to the mouth up position. It then swings back the other way.

By holding up the bell at top dead centre, I can slow my bell and make it move back a place in the sequence with the other bells. Someone else will have to ring their bell a bit quicker to take my earlier place in the sequence. We've swopped places. We do this from one pull to the next and that's called change ringing.

The path I weave though the other bells in the sequence follows a pattern, or the method. Each ringer knows (hopefully) the method so all the bells move seamlessly amongst each other from one pull to another. Done well, it sounds lovely.

Here's a youtube clip of some York students ringing a seven bell method quite nicely (but not perfectly) - they settle into rounds then go into changes at 0:42 (most ringing rooms are larger than this!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVL2hPyH6s

Here's an easy method that I start my learners on:

http://www.vismeth.co.uk/methview4.php?P=5.1.5.1.5-125&T=Plain+Bob+Doubles&S=Doubles&B=5&R=Rung

Here's a popular one for ten bells - you need a fair bit of experience to ring this - I learn the blue squiggly line:

http://www.vismeth.co.uk/methview4....=Yorkshire+Surprise+Royal&S=Royal&B=10&R=Rung

There are many methods in between for six, seven or eight bells and they're the ones that are rung more frequently.

Finally, in the south west more so, there's 'call changes' where the effect can be really nice. Only one pair of bells is swopped at a time and only about once every 10 pulls.

Have a watch of this youtube video. In the first minute, the ringers are ringing up the bells from their overnight, 'mouth down' position, to 'up' and ready for normal ringing. In the middle section, they're ringing call changes. At the end, they are ringing the bells down to the mouth down position where it's much safer to leave the bells when unattended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naLQ7Lvqvnw

Heavitree (near Exeter) are a notable ring of bells - the heaviest there is about 1.25 tons.

This band is very male. Where I ring in Derbyshire, there's as many ladies ringing as blokes.

Nice hobby. There's always room for more ringers ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.