Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

whats wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Affiliate Marketing' started by fresh79, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fresh79 United Kingdom

fresh79 Active Member

Here is a puzzle. Girls Boots has been around page 1 for a while now, gets about 600 to 700 UV's pm and rising. but has not sold anything for 4 months now?
    What are you first impressions on why its underperforming? bounce rate is 30.29% & average time on site is 0.53 seconds.
    Yes i know its thin on original content, but the traffic is there but no sales...
    any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I've just tried clicking on "Take me to this deal" on about 10 different products on your site and none of them take me to a merchant, it just hangs, ie goes to the affiliate window link then reports that it is "waiting for Schuh.co.uk" but never resolves.

4. Fabster

Fabster Member

I had a similar situation on a Norwegian domain a while back. It was also a price comparison site with 70-100 daily UV's. I sold close to nothing.

After a while I changed it to PPc, because the supplier gave both options. Instantly it started gaining revenue. Good for me, but maybe not so much for the advertisers?

Are people tired of price comparison sites like ours maybe?

5. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

i would say its because:

all the boots i looked at are for "ladies" and not girls

and there are loads of "sandals" on the homepage :confused:

6. fresh79 United Kingdom

fresh79 Active Member

@ty
    thats very strange I have just clicked 6 random ones and they all work?? both schuh and wynsor

@boxerdog
    I think your on the money there. when i loaded the datafeeds the awin feeds in particular didnt show marchant categories and category paths. so being lazy i just loaded it:? Im thinking of trying ECU on this site to drill down on the more specific products.

7. fresh79 United Kingdom

fresh79 Active Member

Has anyone had success with Easy Content units? I know your a SB man Boxerdog.

8. mat

mat Well-Known Member

I was going to say exactly the same. I can imagine most are searching for childrens boots.

The site looks great though, just full of the wrong products in my opinion!

9. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

The click through works for me. Why not have the first page show random products, might help you find the type of people who are looking, (either mums for kids, or adults for themselves)

10. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Well-Known Member

I use ECU's very sucessfully on a lot of my sites (pm if you want a link).

Are people landing and then wandering straight off to one of the adsense links at the top of the page?
    Can you add a "Buy" button along side your info button so it's clear what people need to do if they want to buy?

Are you monitoring what search terms people are entering once they get onto your website and start searching internally?

It's not clear to me when I'm navigating the site which section I'm in. Can you change the menu colour of the active item to show that I'm in Biker Boots etc?

Why not have a Shop by Size / Shop by Colour / Shop by Brand option?

Where is the uniqe content? This site is completely made up of data feeds. What about a news section about the latest boot styles, celebs seen wearing particular types of boots etc?

Why is there no contact page? I often get enquiries from people asking for items they can't find.

Just my 2 pence!

11. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this several times before, but I can't see the point in having Adsense ads on an affiliate store, why send business to other sites and you earn a couple of pence for an Adsense click, whereas if you don't have the Adsense, you may make a sale yourself and earn a few quid commission, probably doesn't matter in this instance as you say you aren't getting any sale, but still.

Also, when I click the "Take me to this deal" links, it takes me straight to the retailers site, I think it would be better if those links opened in a new window, so that the visitor keeps your store page open for them to click more products and get more cookies on computers, rather than them going elsewhere after being taken directly to the retailers site.

12. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

remember what G is looking for when ranking top sites:

1. Unique content
    2. New content

It has neither... I've had datafeed sites just disappear - i've then added news every day and they come back. Maybe try that as well.

13. Fabster

Fabster Member

Hmm...never thought about that before. Might have to remove some adsense :)

14. wonder_lander United Kingdom

I actually saw a merchant doing this! Crazy waste of a visitor to just send them off to an adsense link

15. fresh79 United Kingdom

fresh79 Active Member

Thanks for all the tips guys..
    So far I have removed the adsense
    updated feed to show more relevent stuff
    updated image ads at top to more kids shoes niche
    added an ECU to the sidebar (experiment)
    added a hover state on menu. (adding an active state is a bit of a pain but will do it later)
    added open new window on cloaked links

Any more ideas

16. wonder_lander United Kingdom

I would say take off "Highlight lowest price" on your ecu as it's not necessary.

Consider adding a call to action (Buy Now / Shop Now)

Maybe also add click ref to your ecu so you can see what unit your click came from.

17. peter_w United Kingdom

peter_w Active Member

I'm not convinced if "Take me to this deal" is really the best fit. I also think people will probably be discouraged when they don't find more information on your product pages.

I.e. http://www.girlsboots.org.uk/pull-on-mid-high-boot-junior

All you have is a picture. People will want to know more - i.e. material, sizes, maybe some kind of description.

"Buy now from StoreName" would probably fit better than "take me to deal"?

The prices aren't even the same - You list it as £10, but it's actually now £8 (http://www.minibarratts.co.uk/en/Pu...c=Affiliates-_-Product Feed-_-Links-_-Generic)

18. fresh79 United Kingdom

fresh79 Active Member

@wonder_lander
    thanks, got ECU how i want it with your help.

@peter
    yes its not right, i will add "shop now" and an image of merchant & raise issue wiht Awin about minibarrats datafeed errors - but i cant correct each wrong product! there are 100's, besides if the actual price is cheaper than advertised then great lets hope it converts !

19. infoman66

infoman66 Member

The average time that a visitor spends on your site is 0.53 seconds.
    Bounce rate around 30% ...

If this quickly leaves the page, it means that he came to the wrong place ... Every third visitor try to get transferred to one of your pages where it waits message that the requested product non existed for a long time ...

How this is resolved ...

Appealing graphic advertising, with emphasis on the reduction of price or something like that (action, sale, special offers, etc), to maintain the attention of visitors and showed interest by the products you offer ...

Pictures of products to be more attractive (product specification and pictures from various angles) ...

Of course you must have a product worth buying ...

20. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

I know this is an old thread, resurrected by a possible spammer, but I cannot see that your site will ever make the money you want it to.

Items like shoes will only sell for 2 reasons - 1 - the person has already tried them on in store and has bought them at a later date or 2 - there is a VERY CLEAR returns policy. Most women I know (and I know a shit load ;-) ) may buy on a whim but will want to know how to get their money back as 50% of the time they wont keep them.

That said, the first item I clicked on was not in stock and the domain is a .org.uk (but thats an arguement for another time)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.