Discussion in 'General Board' started by binny, Dec 16, 2011.
Mhmmmmmmm, that's too philosophical for me.
Aha, a poll. Discuss!
My opinion is that this countries economy is going nowhere and won't for be the foreseeable future. The reasons are simple;
- High taxes
- Poor work ethic (the majority)
- Decreasing education standards (university tuition).
- Highly uncompetitive compared to countries such as china in virtually all markets
and if we leave the EU we will be trully fooked!
We need to make this country attractive to other countries. If I was in charge of our finances (god forbid) this country would be turned around.
Off the top of my head;
- Businesses earning less than £2mil should be given the option to either pay their tax or use it to directly employ new staff, lowering unemployment - increasing employment tax revenue.
- 15% VAT on all items apart from ones deemed unhealthy ~ 40% VAT on those, used to compensate the healthcare system
- Lower fuel tax for citizens, businesses could receive subsidies based on their efforts to reduce consumption.
- Staged reduction of higher rate income taxes to encourage HI's to live here.
- Open the borders
- Unless you have a long term disability you should not be able to claim jsa for more than 6 months per annum.
- Sell council property
- Minimum of 5 years contribution to the economy before you can claim benefits / state pension.
- Large subsidies & grants to manufacturing companies to relocate to this country. Set-up and purchase unused business premisses and rent them out at highly subsidised rates to new businesses & sole traders.
- Privatise the NHS - impose strict budgets.
- Reduce banking taxes to 0.005%
- Increase investment in renewable energies.
- Increase investment in Africa, South America & SE Aisa - open better trade ties.
- Direct agriculture subsidies
- Compulsory financial studies / money managment in schools
- Allow high street stores to open 24/7/365 if they wish to be
Introduce a system where people can directly vote on issues (similar to epetitions.gov.uk, but it actually counts as a vote towards the subject)
Most importantly, sell Scotland (£50 ono )
The truth is at the moment if you have an idea that you think will make you millions you are either going to set-up in a tax haven (as many members of this forum have) or in a country with cheap labour & manufacturing infrastructure ~ neither of which this country has. Remember china has more 'Gifted and talented' students than the USA has students!
Definitely agree with teaching money management in schools - this has been an argument for years. Get rid of pointless subjects and replace with something that will help individuals and the nation as a whole.
Nothing is going to change this generation but the Government should start making preparation for the next!
Indeed, I was watching the news a few days ago and there was a middle aged man who took out a £500 payday loan so he could afford a flat screen for his living room.
Hang fire guys... who is going to teach it
The last generation have started teaching their stupidity now.. Some of my friends are teachers and I just shake my head.
Separate names with a comma.