Domain Manage

Who is the cheapest for .co.uk domains , i'm finding 123reg a bit pricey.

Discussion in 'General Board' started by justwondering, Aug 17, 2016.

1. justwondering United Kingdom

justwondering Active Member

Hi , Long time no post , I have various .co.uk names been renewed by 123reg and they are charing me around £16.00 for 2 years , not a massive amount , but it can add up on a fair few names....

Anyone got a good recommendations for the best price and service , I more than likely would transfer all my domain names across too.

TYI :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

How many names do you have? There will be a breakeven point where it becomes useful to have your own tag at Nominet (£3.75 pa).

You get much more control that way too, albeit without the hosted nameservers, email accounts, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. nimtree Italy

nimtree New Member

Try Fasthosts....new regs are just 1 too

• Like Like x 1
  6. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

7. karlm United Kingdom

karlm Well-Known Member

I can vouch for Lowreg great service

8. mattyr45 India

mattyr45 Active Member

I use them too. No VAT currently payable on the prices advertised either.

9. ian

ian Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Fasthosts are as bad at service as 123reg, AVOID!

10. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Any reasons why, that fall under what would generally be considered to be current? I don't recall using them myself, ever, but would be interested to know more detail.

11. ian

Multitude of issues over the years, slow/uneducated responses, issues with directing domains, had my payment card fraudulently used (unwilling to go into details of this on a public forum). It was just a load of small things so was delighted when I moved my remaining domains away.

12. invincible

How long ago did you experience any of the above? I'm wondering about giving the registrar a trial and would be useful to gage. :)

13. ian

I moved the last domain about 6 months ago which wasn't without issues either; took them 7 days to action a tag change. I'd give them a miss. All IMO.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. DomainManage

DomainManage Active Member Acorn Supporter

I used Fasthosts for over 10 years for many different things, they had their biggie login hack thing a few years back, but generally pretty good, its been an emotional journey but slowly coming to an end.

At one point I was in their top 100 resellers - wowzers how impressive :rolleyes:

I've used myself, or sold every conceivable service they offer. Their not the cheapest for sure but thats not a huge deal for some services.

They only have (or had now to be honest) one thing that for "me" made them head and shoulders above:

1&1
    123-reg
    GoDaddy
    UKReg
    Easy
    Heart

None of the above I would touch in a million years a few years back.

15. justwondering United Kingdom

Cheers for all your replies , I shall take a look a lowreg :)

16. justwondering United Kingdom

If I transfer all my various domains to another provider , will my renewal dates remain the same and will there be a charge for transferring ? From either the current company I use 123reg or to my new potential company ?

17. scottmccloud

I have a few domains with LowReg (most are elsewhere) and this thread has reminded me about an email I got a while ago. Are these sort of terms standard across all registrars? 60 days?

"Hello,

In an effort to streamline the renewal of domains we are implementing a very important change to our terms and it will affect all domain registrants.

As of June 30th 2016 at 20.15 our new registrant terms have come into effect.

It will not apply to any domain that has currently past its expiry date on our system and will only apply to domains that expire from the 1st of July 2016

Please visit our terms for our expired domains policy. https://www.lowreg.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.html

Once a domain has reached 60days post expiry Lowreg Ltd trading as lowreg.co.uk reserves the right to delete or to transfer the domain to ourselves or any other registrant.

At this time you will no longer be the legal registrant and have no rights to the domain.

We will of course send out reminder emails at 90,60 and 30 days before expiry and at 25 and 50 days post expiry, giving you plenty of opportunity to renew your domains.

If you have any questions please open a ticket from within your control panel.

Best Wishes,

LowReg"

18. invincible

I don't believe them adding this into their T&C's constitutes the Registant giving explicit consent for a domain name to be taken over which Nominet require a registrar to obtain from the Registant. From the Registrar Agreement:

E3.6. You may, no earlier than 30 days after the expiry of a domain name on an Accredited Channel Partner Tag, take steps to transfer the domain name into your name, provided that you have previously informed the Registrant that you intend to do this and obtained their explicit consent to your doing so. Such consent must be obtained no earlier than 30 days before the date on which the domain name is due to expire, and no later than 30 days after the date on which the domain name expired. Even if you transfer a domain name in these circumstances, the original Registrant of the domain name must always retain the right to renew the domain name in question as set out in paragraph B.1.13 above. You may not transfer a domain name into the name of a third party under this paragraph;

E.3.7. You may not transfer a domain name under paragraph E.3.6. where you have formally notified Your Customer that you are no longer providing them with Registrar Services, or where you and Your Customer have mutually agreed that you are no longer obliged to provide Registrar Services to Your Customer; and

Also as far as Nominet are concerned a domain name is registered to a registrant right up to when it would have been deleted by them (the registry). The original registrant always retains the right to renew the domain name as stated. All registrars have to adhere to the registrant agreement and can't pick and chose what they want to do, trying to supersede sections with their own customised T&Cs, as far as I am aware.

19. invincible

I'd imagine most registrars will accept an inbound change of IPS Tag for free. The expiry date is set by the registry. Some may want to add another year on during the process so check with one domain name first.

20. ian

That is absolutely wrong, and I'd not use a registrar that imposes such conditions. The domain is owned by the registrant up until cancellation by Nominet; the registrar cannot at 60 days suddenly take ownership of a domain and do with what they want (I assume cherry picking the best to keep or sell). I personally feel they are trying to take advantage in the terms. Hopefully David is reporting this internally if he feels as above, they are not meeting with their responsibility.

21. scottmccloud

David, Ian, thank you. Thought it looked wrong when I saw it.