Domain Manage

Why are some .CO.UK domains not suspended?

Discussion in 'Drop catching Domain Names' started by FCP, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FCP

FCP Active Member

Why are some domains suspended when others show the "Renewal required" message until they drop?

Phill

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

<edit> read the question wrong..........................

Grant

4. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Sent to Nominet today:

Good afternoon Nominet,

Could you please give me an idea as to why the following domains have
    not been suspended:

domainpark.co.uk
    360.co.uk
    cargo.co.uk
    dtn.co.uk
    proxy.co.uk

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

No response as yet.

5. FCP

FCP Active Member

Thanks aZooZa, its not just me then :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

It's simply down to the fact that if you send the right person at Nominet the right bottle of wine, they'll leave Renewal Required up for the crack.

Seriously... Sometime's, I am told, it's "fun" to let some "juicy" domain names go to suspended status. Take cargo.co.uk. That went to suspended 26/07/07. It was then renewed using the automaton on the same date of 26/07/07. Nominet raised an invoice to the respective registrar 07/08/2007. That has yet to be paid. Of course when the account manager makes her monthly telephone call to the Registrar to confirm that she can take payment for that invoice, permission for her to do so will be granted. At that point the registration status will change.

Such fun isn't it! :mrgreen:

7. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Thanks didnt spot them names :)

8. jonno United Kingdom

jonno Active Member

did you not read the post above yours? :p

9. FCP

FCP Active Member

aZooZa, did you get a response from Nominet?

10. invincible

Doubt it. They were probably too busy quaffing some fine wines to type back. :mrgreen:

11. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Indeed I did. My question has been elevated to higher management. I will post a summary back here when I get a reply. I can't quote from Nominet emails on here - that's not good form I think given their email disclaimer/legalese footer.

12. invincible

Glad you are on the case. I honestly think Bob Gilbert should be brought in on this so do you think you could see to it that this matter is at the top of the pile on his desk tomorrow morning? It might also be best practice to alert both the Registrar and Registrant to the matter as clearly they must have no idea what is going on either. :rolleyes:

13. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

So what's your reason for doing it then? - does it give you any advantage with longer renewal dates etc or is it just a "fun" excerise for you?

It doesn't bother me in the slightest; just curious. :)

14. SIMONR85

SIMONR85 Active Member

are you after 360.co.uk?? i have 36t.co.uk if your interested

15. invincible

I guess it's an exercise of getting people's hopes up as high as possible, then snatching them away at the last minute whilst minimising revenue loss. :twisted: It probably keeps those that have come along late to .uk interested, perhaps under the notion that they might have a chance at a juicy domain name. Sometimes, I am told, it's even fun to let a good domain name go into suspended status for a while, giving plenty of time for many to notice this, before subsequently renewing it. Some might not notice the renewal and try to catch it, when it isn't dropping, on the magic number of days after the renewal date. I've heard stories of people banging away all day for one name, only to find out it wasn't actually suspended anymore! :mrgreen:

As far as why "Renewal Required" is still showing, nor a future "Renewal date", those won't change until the actual invoice is paid [I believe]. As you will be aware, there is a more appropriate registration status of "Renewal request being processed". It seems that on some occasions the Registration Status and Renewal date don't change after a renewal has been submitted but before the invoice has been paid, and on other occasions they do. The domain name awh.co.uk was renewed today, after a brief suspension, and the registration status and renewal date immediately changed. Going back to cargo.co.uk; even though this domain name has been renewed neither the renewal date or registration status have changed. Attempting to renew both awh.co.uk and cargo.co.uk a second time, within seperate emails, returns "V174 Domain name has been renewed, but not yet paid for." for both.

Thus the title of this thread is ambiguous. The domain names in questions had been suspended, and were renewed. However the renewal date and registration status have yet to change for the domain names originally mentioned.

16. invincible

Note the difference between "your" and "you are/you're".

Even though 36t.co.uk is fantastically close to 360.co.uk, somehow I think big brand managers are going to pass over it. :-D They might like 36o.co.uk which was registered today to catch any wild "typo spill", but only in conjunction with the former I should imagine. Nice try at plugging your domain name in an unrelated thread though!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Nice response David, could have been shortened to "little things" though.

18. invincible

Sometimes I consider it useful to be verbose, especially as I know my responses won't be read solely by the person I am immediately replying too. :) Here there will be thread-followers with varying knowledge so covering what appears to be obvious ground saves me, or someone else, potentially having to explain other things later on. One great irritation of mine is when I read old USENET or forum posts where contributors hadn't been detailed enough for me to follow absolutely everything that had been discussed. Anyway, who is this "David" guy? I cannot tell because you didn't quote any particular person when you posted. :mrgreen::cool::)

19. paul

paul Well-Known Member

LOL about time someone pointed it out :)

20. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Typographical errors happen to the best of us it seems. ;)

:arrow: Topic

21. invincible

That one often trips me up. :mrgreen: The your and you are/you're is everywhere. Normally I spell check but I don't think that one would have been picked up. If you look even closer you may spot at least one other that I made in that post, and maybe more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.