Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

why are there so many premium .me.uk's still available

Discussion in 'General Board' started by WigWam, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

Just done a quick scan on available .me.uk's and found that their are hundreds of premium .me.uk's still available (some thats .co.uk or .com version would sell for thousands) why is this?

In my experience they rank just aswell in google and if not better in yahoo.

WigWam

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

I'll have to check my videogames.me.uk on Yahoo, it's nowhere on Google ?

I think people are scared of spending their time and effort on a .me.uk

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

They're worth nothing to "real businesses". So if YOU plan to build a site on them, they're fine, but no end-users will be lining up to buy them so the only way to make money out of them is to DEVELOP them.

5. pugyrob United Kingdom

pugyrob Well-Known Member

they get no extra exact match bonus in Google where org.uk and co.uk do.

6. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

surely in your market (financial services) .me.uk's seem more personal and more attractive (iva.me.uk) is owned by a financial services company :)

WigWam

7. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

I bet Rob is very happy with that as would I if a large company owned a nice looking site on a .me.uk and I had the .co.uk

In fact I'd be smiling all the way to the bank as their type in traffic hit my site. So in affect they have no / low search value and leak like hell.

8. mat

mat Well-Known Member

Their main site name is fasimms.com though right?

9. pugyrob United Kingdom

I would love me.uk's to be worth a lot, i own some nice ones.

I dont know of any financial company that uses one as its main site and the iva me.uk as Mat says is just a redirect. I also dont know any that figure high for search in Google for finance terms, there may be some but they are not prominent.

They sound right in some markets but not in this one (to me).

10. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

I think some such as love.me.uk or find.me.uk could be worth a few bob ;)

WigWam

11. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

I'm hoping my Afghanistan .me .uk will be worth something one day ?

12. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

I am in me.uk for a while and done some research on me.uk's performance. Let me share it with you now.

1. me.uk in SERPs is doing better than .org.uk. Many people might think it is not true, but me.uk has to be handled correctly. Lets take a hypothetical domain wine /co/org/me. Now, what many users are looking at is how the keyword wine performs on G and Y. This is not a correct way to treat me.uk. In fact you should look under slightly different angle. And my tests show that "dual keyword" works different, e.g. if you have pages titled red_wine.html then co and me are virtually at the same level for the keyword "red wine" and org is behind.

2. PR gives me.uk a head start. If all our domains have same PR of, let's say 2, then "real" PR for co is 2, for org is closer to 1.7, and for me is around 2.2

3. me.uk is useless in B2B but in B2C works good.

me.uk should not be taken lightly. Type-in traffic is not the "king" if you don't own a "super generic" like money, health or similar. Organic SE traffic generated by me.uk outperforms org.uk. Therefore real-life businesses would eventually recognize it.

13. WigWam

WigWam Well-Known Member

agreed. Earlier on this year I acquired clocks.me.uk & radio.me.uk of another member here. clocks.me.uk has paid for itsself many times with minimal work just using adsense.

WigWam

14. pugyrob United Kingdom

Sorry but that goes against every bit of information that is commonly available on the internet. I would like to see these examples of me.uk's out performing org.uk's for "exact match" terms with the same level of marketing on both.

Wigwam, i am glad clocks.me.uk has made you more than you paid for it, that however doesn't prove a whole lot. I am not saying no one can ever make money from them but the OP was "why are there so many generics available". One of the big reasons is their lack of SE friendliness when compared to its competitor TLD's. I am happy to back up these claims with fact but please don't make me because i really should be working!!

15. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

Poker does not count as work Rob.

16. pugyrob United Kingdom

agreed, they are potentially brandable and desirebale for different reasons. I own remortgage.me.uk which i bought on here for £75, i think i overpaid for it!!;)

17. pugyrob United Kingdom

Lol you sound like my father in law!!!!!!!!!

18. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

I am not revealing the test site yet, sorry ;) But my statement is based on my own stats.

19. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

there's not many registered in real terms, plus am i right in saying .me.uk are not allowed to be ecommerce sites by nominet?

20. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

I think that's the oft asked question. The way Nominets' rules read, it states:

What is a personal namespace? It doesn't mean to say you can't put Google Ads on it, or Affiliates.

It seems less clear as to how a private individual must use it. Wouldn't it be nice for Nominet to clear up that little point, once and for all?

21. pugyrob United Kingdom

And to clear up org.uk uses. Although they say they wont take action against people using them commercially, a small print clause in that document from Nominet stopped me doing a deal with an org.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.