Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

why .uk?

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by julian, Mar 23, 2008.

?

would you like to see a .uk extension

Poll closed Apr 2, 2008.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    85.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

i've been pondering this question for sometime.. can someone shed some light?

who's idea was it to include the .co

just about every other major country has a simple extension, that any entity can register:

• .fr = france
    • .de = germany
    • .ru = russia
    • .us = united states
    • .it = italy

I realise that .uk is exclusive to government organisations etc but again why? - surely thats what .gov.uk could be for ;)

so can someone explain why here in the UK we decided to make life a bit more difficult and include another dot and two chars at the end of the domain - and is it a rule that should be relaxed in the future to allow the registration of .uk domains to anyone?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. etro United Kingdom

etro Member

JANET (ja.net) are responsible for second level extensions I believe. Before the DNS system had been established, JANET used a name registration scheme (NRS) to define UK academic networks (eg. uk.ac.abdn). uk.co was assigned for commerce at the same time.

When DNS came along, it looks as if the NRS records where simply flipped for convenience.

As for the poll, I don't think the .uk extension should be released. .co.uk is a well established domain and I think it would do more harm than good if top level registration were possible.

4. paulleahy United Kingdom

paulleahy Active Member

Why would anyone want that it would devalue our .co.uks and only give us something else to spend our money on

5. mat

mat Well-Known Member

It would of been better in the long run to have just .uk in the first place.

But the .co.uk has built up so much recognition now that it cant be changed.

6. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

This is true and my main point it really - If we wound back the clock and starting again would it have been better?

Every other country seems to have got it right first time except us... doh :confused:

was just thinking what about a .GB :mrgreen: ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  7. mat

mat Well-Known Member

I think if they ever made something like the .gb, although its shorter it would certainly only be a substitute for .co.uk

I reckon the powerfull and wealthy war lords behind Nominet are going to release and register up all .uk domain names in the year 2010 rendering all our out of date .co.uk's worthless :cool:

8. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

hey good point that would be ironic - everyone sat smuggly on their pile of domains for the last 10 years only to become worthless overnight... :eek:

don't think it could happen though .co.uk is too embedded.. ;)

but just imagine... all the old favourites up for sunrise land grab again... sex.uk,...dating.uk..., cars.uk, fly.uk :p

9. mat

mat Well-Known Member

I think it would have alot of people on here remortgaging their houses.

Youd have to purchase hundreds and thousands really wouldnt you!

Then 10 years down the line you can say to your kids you got in on the .uk boom before everyone else :cool:

10. lzy

lzy Member

I know of a country which was offering .com.xx for several years before releasing .xx few years ago and .xx immediately became more popular.

11. rjs_essex United Kingdom

rjs_essex Well-Known Member

It all started out as .gb :)

From Wikipedia becasue I can't be bothered to write it out myself:

This is interesting though...

So its a case of 'been there, done that'... It will never be .gb and it will never be .uk :)

Rich :cool:

12. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

Imagine the DRS's if they ever brought out .uk

If it was nominet administrating it they would have to offer the .co.uk owner the first shot at the .uk name otherwise they'd be sued senseless and countless drs cases would arise.

So ultimately unless it was a straight substitution with both running parallel to each other for a few years whilst .co.uk's were phased out it won't happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.