Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

will there be the same opportunities in the coming years

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by salimnina, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

It's not proper English. Makes the site owner look illiterate (or desperate). The correct expression is "van hire". "vans hire" sounds that you're hiring out Vans shoes.

There is usually a VERY GOOD REASON why unregistered names are still available! Remember, there are thousands of domainers looking, looking, looking every single day... so if you find an available name 99.9% of the time it's going to be junk. It's learning to spot that 0.1% that requires the time, effort and patience.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I would have advised picasso not to give up his day job. There are always exceptions to the rule. Innovation should never be scoffed at.

I think if you were to interview all the domain owners going back to the beginning of the internet, most would tell you that when they first registered a name it was to develop as a website. I think the education gained from that angle is far more valuable than coming in with a view just to look for domains in order to make a fast profit. You must learn what has got inherent value, to me when buying a domain the litmus test is, am I prepared to hold this domain for 5 to 10 years.

4. Aiden Roberts

Aiden Roberts Well-Known Member

This is really good advice along with the radio test which was Edwin's I think ;)

Aiden

P.S If it was Edwin can he repeat the radio test here please.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

BTW, if English is not your first language then why not invest in domains in your own language? There's money to be made in most major world languages, if you know what you're doing...

6. storebuilder

storebuilder Active Member

Any start is a good start in my book. You already learnt something and got great advice just from getting started.

Lots of good domains drop every week that the main dropcatchers are not bothered with. It's a case of picking a niche and going with it.

Good luck!

7. salimnina

salimnina Member

The question is if the name i available then one might think it's rubbish ( sure it was mentioned more than once in the early days), but again all the names were availble at one time and who ought to guess they'll be going...otherwise no one would buy them.

If it's a mistake then it's costing me at least few £ not that it will break my back, but I am learning as some said, but back to the point, I am willing to stick to that domain, yes for as long as it takes because I will be developping it and I saw some ugly names out there doing better in that category.

I am not jumping up and down, I know it doesn't sound well, but as you mentioned guys, nothing is left, and this is the best I can come up with in that niche, for now of course

I am actually doing some french reseach at the same time, the only thing is I don't know but the .com is associated with English somehow, again cheers guys, I like criticism, that's the only way up

The way I see it, time's running, few names left now, less tomorrow, but again I might be wrong

8. retired_member33

retired_member33 Retired Member

I think this pretty much depends on the country/lagnguage.

My first language is Dutch and with 5 million .nl domains registered in a small country with only 17 million citiziens there are very few opportunities to register a good generic domain, I tend to go after Dutch .com domains these days as my main business is developing them but in terms of resale value they aren't as good as the .nl and unfortunally we don't have any secondary extensions as .org.uk or .me.uk.

But I guess its different for each country and language.

9. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

To the OP, watch all the videos at:

http://www.domainsherpa.com/

and you pick will up some tips and thoughts on the market from experts.

Rgds

10. salimnina

salimnina Member

11. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

I personally feel that their will be movement soon,large portfolio's of parked domains will be hit ,the Government will instruct Nominet to favour the person that will create jobs via an online business ,this will come from tweeking the DRS which is currently in use...this is my personal opinion not shared by other domainers

12. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I think we're more likely to see pigs fly first.

13. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Not in your or my lifetime.

there may be some tweaking of the system but, it isn't about to be re-invented to the point of any ground breaking changes - far to late in the day for that

14. retired_member32

retired_member32 Retired Member

people forget you don't own the domain ,its a lease agreement which could be altered within a five minute white paper passed ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.