Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

windows vista anyone?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by tifosi, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Anyone here using Windows (bag o shite) Vista?

Managed to get a zeroaccess rootkit on my laptop which was a bitch to remove, but in the process has corrupted the windows defender files.

As a last resort before I dump vista finally- and I've tried everythng available to get it sorted, it's been suggested I copy over the Windows defender files from a working version.

So if anyone out there can zip up their program files > windows defender files and send them to me at admin@anyname.co.uk I'd be grateful.

You may have to turn defender off first before copying them.

Thanks

Stephen

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

4. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Looked at that, but it would need me to remove the avg internet suite that I've got. Prefer to see if I can replace the files and make the internal windows defender links work again.

Thanks

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

6. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have been compromised by a pretty sophisticated attack I'd back personal documents and start afresh. You could spend hours trying to sort this out and there is no guarantee they haven't compromised other programmes your unaware of

7. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

I agree with this. To be honest, Vista was shite, move to 7 at least, you can still get hold of it.

8. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Problem with this is that I've got the infection sorted - using the link that edwin mentioned which I found yesterday. It zapped it all fine though it took about 6hrs to do it all!

Problem was part of the process was to rename the windows defender folder to stop fake virus messages then revert it before doing the zapping. But forgot to rename it first, so everything is zapped but the process has screwed with how vista see the windows defender files. Service won't start because is can't see the files properly. Probably somewhere vista has invalid links but sorting it may be a lost cause!

Replacing the WD folder is the last resort someone else used to sort it.

For now I've moved the folder to disable it, not ideal but malwarebytes is running in the background instead along with AVG.

Laptop is dev machine crammed to the gills so starting again would be with a new machine and not vista and turning this one into a linux clone.

Damn windows to hell!! :)

Just a last resort to see if the file replacement works, so if anyone can help!? :)

9. AssetDomains

I probably have a vista install disk knocking around not sure the files you need would be accessible on it though I think they pack a lot of stuff up

10. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

No, would actually need the c:/program files/windows defender folder zipped up.

Thanks.

May just be a 'sign' that it's time to move to 7/8. Which to use? 7 or 8. 8 seems to have issues for standard laptops.

Clearing down the machine gonna be a bitch. Prefer to do it at my own pace! :)

11. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

If you bare with me I have a handful of desktops most are XP but I know one is vista ultimate, I will have a look later this afternoon.

12. AssetDomains

Think I have you sorted just plugged in a old old 2.5 drive from a vista laptop

13. AssetDomains

14. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Thanks. Seems to have sorted it. Weird, must be the way windows deals with file/directory nodes. Was showing the files there but not accessible. Replacing them with new ones seems to have done it.

Still, it's a sign to ditch Vista.

Maybe turn the thread into a which to chose from? Had a look at downloading a windows 7 iso (legitimate one!) and buying an activation key. Which to chose professional or ultimate?

15. AssetDomains

There about to fix widows 8 mid October might be worth looking at that. When I upgraded with the compatibility checker tool from the website was a lot cheaper than retail stores for the licence. Think that might have been an opening offer though

16. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Seem to remember an update for £26 (converted) somewhere recently but can't remember where. Sure one of you can recall. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.