Domain Manage

Wordpress for idiots (me)

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by Aiden Roberts, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiden Roberts

Aiden Roberts Well-Known Member

Hi I have posted in this section because I am still relatively new.

Thanks to you guys and gals on here i have learned to get a hosting account, set up wordpress, reconfigure databases, deal with themes, plugins, join affiliate programs and even a little bit of html. On my own I have managed to mess it up every step of the way:confused:

I wonder if anyone could explain to me why a laterooms search box won't dispaly in a text/html widget in twenty ten theme, I have cleared the cache, changed my browser and even looked at the options in mysql admin but still can't figure out why I can't see it?

Any ideas will be welcome

Thank you

Aiden

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

What code are you attempting to insert in the text widget?

4. Aiden Roberts

Hi Chris

I copied the code from laterooms (javascript) and posted it into text widget, it didn't work. I installed the html javascript adder and put that in the widget area then added the code but that didn't work either?

Basically I don't understand whats happening I am beginning to think it might be something to do with the path access to my files but that is just an uneducated guess although I am weary to start messing in case I lose the lot again.

Thanks Chris

Aiden

5. Aiden Roberts

I read somewhere it could be vista but can't see it on other platforms either?

6. chrisduggan United Kingdom

chrisduggan Active Member

7. Aiden Roberts

Thanks Chris

I have updated java on my comp, looked at the vista settings and even put the code into a blooger blog, it simply will not display? I can see it in the code on the page so it's there just doesn't want to show itself, I even emailed laterooms.

I give up I have tried everything?

Thanks

Aiden

8. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

WordPress can be very funny with Javascript. Have you installed that plugin mentioned above? And have you tried entering the code into sidebar.php without using widgets?

9. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

You may find there's a conflict with a plugin that you have installed and active.
    Try de-activating all your plugins and then drop the code into the sidebar widget. If it then shows, re-activate plugins one by one to find the culprit.

That has worked for me on occasion.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  10. Aiden Roberts

@Blossom- just tried the sidebar but no joy?

@fish-will deactivate plugins in try sidebar again, thanks

Will let you know how I get on

Aiden

11. Aiden Roberts

No that doesn't work either, could it be something to do with my file maneger, has javascript got to be enabled in there or somewhere in wordpress settings?

Losing the will at the moment:mad:

Aiden

12. peter_w United Kingdom

peter_w Active Member

If it isn't working when pasted directly into sidebar.php this doesn't even sound like a Wordpress issue.

Open up a blank notepad file, paste the laterooms code in it. Save the file as laterooms.html (or whatever) and upload it to your webserver and see if it works in that file.

13. Aiden Roberts

Hi thanks for your help

I pasted it into notepad and tried to view it in IE9, got a warning saying allow scripting and active x, allowed them and got a blank page.

Here is the code does it look ok:

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://affiliates.laterooms.com/Banners.ashx/http://affiliates.laterooms.com/Banners.ashx/"></script><script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">laterooms.banners.yellowAlt({partnerId: '11645', language: 'en', defaultKeyword: 'Liverpool'});</script>

it is in the page on view source but just wont show up, maybe you could look at the site and see if it is on your page www.liverpool-hotels.org.uk

Any advice appreciated

Aiden

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  14. seemly

seemly Active Member

Should the URL found in the 'src' of the first script code really duplicate itself?:

Code:
    http://affiliates.laterooms.com/Banners.ashx/http://affiliates.laterooms.com/Banners.ashx/
    Try replacing your code with the following:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://affiliates.laterooms.com/Banners.ashx/"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">laterooms.banners.yellowAlt({partnerId: '11645', language: 'en', defaultKeyword: 'Liverpool'});</script>

Also, looking at your website there is some conflicting hidden comments displaying. This means the hidden comments have been closed before they were meant to, displaying the following greyed out text:

Code:
    <!-- #primary .widget-area

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aiden Roberts

Seemly you are a genius :p thank you thank you, did what you said and hey presto there it was all yellowy yipeeeee!

As for your second point I haven't got a clue how to rectify it but will look into it.

Thank you again I have been hours on this.

Aiden

16. seemly

seemly Active Member

Good stuff. I'm glad the ad is now showing. :cool:

Now on to my next point, or rather your next problem, when you inserted this code, where have you put it?

Did you put it in the sidebar.php file itself? Or did you use the text widget option in you admin control panel?

17. Aiden Roberts

I put it straight into a text widget and it worked fine, I tried it in the sidebar earlier when it was double coded but it didnt work so I took it back out.

Thanks

Aiden

18. seemly

seemly Active Member

i think that's your problem then. You may have overwritten or deleted the...

Code:
    -->
    to complete the commented html code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.