Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

you'll never know..

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by julian, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

just sold a very strange branadable domain that I meant to let drop via sedo for low £££.

I have now found out via the nom e-mail address it is to a millionaire entrepreneur who was director of company who will now use it and could have obviously afforded more. My point being that you never know who's on the end of these offers..

shit happens..

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

I think the name of the game is to take what you are prepared to accept. I think we've all experienced this; my last gutwrencher was a gambling domain that was bought buy Caesars through a third party :)

4. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between willing and able. Some of these guys might have been able to pay more, but that's not that say that they would have been willing. Had you tried to push the price up, they might have just moved onto the next alternative.

5. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Can you disclose the name ? it could be an interesting exercise.

6. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Well at least he used his genuine email once the deal was clinched - in my experience that's a real rarity these days.

I rarely if ever follow-up the history on a domain I've sold, though somebody emailed me recently to congratulate me on a "brandable" domain sale to Amazon - The truth being that I had sold the domain to the company that Amazon made the Multi-million buy-out of , A year after my sale.

I treat any good and succesful development of a domain I've sold as justification of my logic with the initial domain registration - reassuring when it comes to Brandables I can tell you

7. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

another problem with using sedo

seriously, why doesn't every domainer have their own dedicated sales site?

even a one page lander with contact details or form?
    you can only blame yourselves

8. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

What about escrow ?

9. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

escrow.com

or get paid bank transfer

i have sold many .uk to french, italians etc even and they never bat an eyelid when i asked to be paid by international bank transfer in £

uk buyers BACS

just invoice them with details

for really big buys xx,xxx same thing or use moniker escrow, escrow or again bank transfer

10. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Simple solution.

Price according to what you're happy with for the domain, not for a particular buyer.

Those who do have a lot of money didn't amass it by getting overcharged on everything they buy... :)

11. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

It' s very, very rare for a direct enquiry to use a traceble email account when enquiring about a domain whatever the nature of the transaction. I know my pricing must be good by the number that agree to pay me prior to the domain transfer - I have to look to check my hand is still attached

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  12. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Funny enough. I know that a domain of mine is inplay literally from today - from very fundemental information that lands in your lap - and thats before I've been even asked if it's available.

The .com was listed as sold on DNJournal yesteday (So I Know that price) - new registrant has used a UK hosting service for the domain despite they being a Californian business entity - And yep the hyphenated .co.uk and the major tlds have also been acquired in the last few days mostly hand regged. Obviously I still hold the word pairing .co.uk - i think i'm even pretty sure what they are going to use the words for - which isn't obvious but quite clever when you think about it. today shows as day one of their site build (Coming soon type layout)

invistagative work about 15 mins - just through keeping a regular eye on Global domain sales.

13. Pred United Kingdom

Pred Well-Known Member

totally disagree
    but thats just my experience

14. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

No problem Pred - I honestly think we work in completely different markets. But, I do know what works outside of the standard generics. .

15. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Couldn't resist also spending a few minutes working out what your domain is.

Although the .com didn't sell for a huge amount, fingers crossed you get a call from them with a nice offer. ;)

16. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

WEll Well done mate for working it out - can you also guess what you think the application will be _ I'm just going to give this hint 'MP' Thats my gut instinct - but hopefully you've also just verfied the timeline events I mentioned above

Domains can be a great life sometimes ;) And strangely enough . i'm no good at word puzzles

17. wb

wb Well-Known Member

If we're both thinking of the same MP acronym, then that was my initial thought too. Little more digging looks like we're correct too, as they have filed multiple trademarks last month relating to exactly that. Before anyone asks, I won't be posting up what the domain is.

Without taking the thread too off topic, this does show it's always worth doing the research. However, I'm still sticking with my original trail of thought in that it's the domain that should have a price attached to it, not the person buying it. Doing research simply allows the domain to easily appreciate in value before you decide how much to let it go (to anyone) for.

18. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I'm going to slightly disagree with you - In that I'm happy to be "A self righteous bastard - I meant facilitator" to a sale. I can usually identify with the buyer or at least try to.

I've sold domains well below what I think they're worth, but at the same time I believe they ended up with the right users.

Worse still talked one or two (four figure) buyers out of buying my domains as inappropriate for their use.

The plus side - Capitalise at will. :razz:

19. wb

wb Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I think our thoughts probably overlap somewhere inbetween, as I don't completely disagree but doing the research or working out what a buyer might want to use it for (i.e. something which hadn't come to mind before) could easily inflate the sale price to anyone.

I also enjoy the investigative side of things, so it's a bonus doing it. Like you say it's usually not impossible to identify the buyer, as almost everyone has a digital footprint making it quite easy with only basic knowledge.

20. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I'm personally hoping to see this thread develop a little more- It does (and has the potential) to open up that age old question - How do I price a domain ???

Anybody that has been around the block once or twice Knows there is no fixed or definitive answer. But there are steers that do rely on our individual experience - the parameters (domainer or end user) negotiating and communication skills. (professional or adhoc)

There's No right or wrong - I know i have scared a buyer or two away by coming across too knowing in the past - better to play the all 'under assuming party' until were talking final transaction.

I've learnt more from the buyers of my domains and their so varied operating parameters than from any proponent of sales and selling - And I've 20 years of history in selling.

21. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Just as a small futherance to the above - I am going to own up to having put probably on average at least an hour or Five of solid work with every sale I've ever made. Those working in strictly the 'generic' market have. I accept, very little to gain by the same approach.

I consider every domain i own a miniature work of art.
    * It took time to pick the subject
    * to grasp it's market relevance
    * to imagine its width of application
    * to define its 'correct' contextual structure
    * to go out on a limb

If as i feel I've done most of the above with most of my domain registrations - be buggered if I would then sell it at a price or without a similar amount of repeated work.

Just a philosophy- which has served me well

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.