20i Domains

Any Golfers around ?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Adam H, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I'm getting into my golf ( playing not watching ) a little and started to goto to the driving range a few times a week to practice. Got confident enough to do an 18 hole last week and i'm now hooked, should have hit the courses much sooner as you learn so much more.

I brought some REALLY cheap clubs about 10 years ago and to be fair they are not to bad and have served well, but after trying a mates Wilson Irons which are mid range prices I could feel the difference straight away, so now looking to upgrade but not go mental as I have a habit of buying all the gear and then hardly using it ( Like my MTB and Cyclocross bikes lol ).

So i've been looking at clubs, shafts etc and didnt release how much there is to it. I've been looking at some Taylormade Irons, graphite shalfs with regular flex. ( M2/M3 ranges ). So about £400 - £800 I guess and then a few additionals like a reasonable putter with new grip and a hybrid ( not sure which one yet, was looking at a cheap cobra hybrid ).

Any advice for a novice ? Is it best to stick with regular flex until your more experienced and know abit more about your game ?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Hi Adam, I always go for Steel shafts for Irons and graphite on drivers. Callaway make some great irons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. Adam H

Yeah I've been looking at Taylormade, Callaway and Ping as the 3 brands to consider. Mainly from recommendations. The whole shafts flex and graphite and Iron thing is beyond me. My current set are Iron, my mates Wilsons are Iron so i guess i should try a few graphite irons before being over eagar and just buying some lol.

5. keano United Kingdom

keano Active Member

Good for you on getting started Adam :)

You won't go far wrong with a set of irons from Taylormade, Callaway or Ping as all three are top brands. As you're starting out hitting the course I'd recommend going for a set of cavity backed irons as they will be more forgiving for shots that aren't quite out of the sweetspot.

In terms of the shafts I would stick with steel shafts on the irons and generally most drivers tend to come with graphite shafts these days. The type of shaft which would suit you best will be determined by the tempo of your swing and the club head speed you generate. The faster you swing and harder you hit it, the more likely you would want a stiffer shaft that's why (generalisation) with your irons you will want more control so regular steel shafts are a good way to go and for a driver you'll want distance so stiffer graphite shafts work well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adam H

Thanks Keano, that makes alot of sense. My weakest part of my game is certainly closer shots at the min to get on the green, with me being a bit heavy handed my short chipping from 50 - 100 yards is something I've been practicing more since being on the course. But that is also the reason i've opted for newer/better Irons as my judgement of the shorter weighted hits were so much better when i used my mates Wilsons instead of my own.

My mate tells me my swing speed and distance is alot harder/faster than his and I shouldnt really be getting the distance I do with my preferred 9 iron, but I'm not sure what that compares to in comparison to other people or whats considered fast/hard or whether he's right as he's an novice like me. I guess thats the point id need to get fitted properly.

Out of interest, have you played or recommend a chipper? been looking at a cheap Wilson HDX chipper to try for like £30. Which would allow me to use your putting stroke from just outside the green ? Is it recommended to use them or to try and get less aggressive with a PW/AW/SW ?

7. keano United Kingdom

keano Active Member

I can honestly say I've never used a chipper before. If it was me personally I'd stick with the PW/SW and if you need a lower trajectory go with an 8 or 9 iron to bump a shot in. Having a wider range of options allows you to build up a repertoire of different shots to your game which you'll need depending on different courses/conditions.

I should have mentioned in my last post (I'm sure you know yourself) but I'd massively recommend trying out as many clubs as you can before buying. Can be really tempting to get a nice set off the Internet for a good price but without physically using them they could turn out to be completely unsuitable. By having a demo of some clubs the pro will be able to advise on other bits on bobs when he watches you swing as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adam H

The small local club near me where I go on the ranges have offered to let me go out with a few Ping and Wilson Staffs but unfortuantly they don't have any Taylormades which is what I'm steering towards more than others ( The M3 irons i'm looking at ). I might pop over to another local club shop tonight and see if they've got a wider range to try out :)

Thanks again for the advice, helps massively.

9. Adam H

Any thoughts on Cobra Irons ? Someone has mentioned the Cobra King F7 Irons as being more forgiving than the Taylormade M3 Irons ?

10. keano United Kingdom

keano Active Member

Good man. The M3 irons look very nice! Cobra tend to be known for their oversized drivers more than their irons as far as I'm aware but if you've got the chance to give them a demo I'd say why not :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

The flex of your shaft (oh er) is usually dictated by your swing speed, check out the table below..

Carry Distance Swing Speed Flex
    200 to 240 yards 85 to 95 mph Regular
    240 to 275 yards 95 to 110 mph Stiff/Firm
    Over 275 yards Over 110 mph Tour (Extra) Stiff

Go for cavity back irons, don't even think about blades or muscle backs, you won't notice the difference and they're much harder to hit.

Go for a mallet putter as they have a higher MOI, and try different thickness of grips too.

Make sure you gap your wedges correctly - you need to make sure that < 100 yards, you have a nice distance spacing so you can pretty much know exact what club and how to swing to be pretty accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Adam H

Played with a oddessy putter with a super stroke grip on it the other day, felt so good and easy to use. So i'll definately be opting for the thicker putter grips ( probably a super stroke one )

13. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

Golfer here, but I'm not very good and I don't get out often enough.

I picked up a set of Mizuno irons on ebay, been fairly happy with them. I just read a few web articles, looking for forgiving models from a few years ago, then picking some that looked to be available for what I wanted to pay.

I also picked up a driver and a fairway driver new on ebay, from people selling off stock. Again, just looked at reviews for models that were now considered "old".

If I could get out more, I'd probably consider a set of new irons.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tricky1 United Kingdom

Tricky1 Active Member

Go and visit your local PGA pro and ask them for advice. Try as many models as you can, you’ll know what feels comfortable and easy on the eye when you look down on them.

I’ve played for 38 years and a lot of that time off single figures. I wouldn’t offer advice on clubs, please speak to your Pro and at the same time get some lessons.

If you want to improve quickly practise your short game and never stop focussing on it.

Still the best golf book...

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...MIlZjXsJDc4wIVF-DtCh1t-QjUEAQYAyABEgJ3_PD_BwE

• Like Like x 1
  15. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

hmm - not sure I agree with that..

A lot of pros are shite and just try and sell you the most expensive clubs, clubs don't actually change that much so you can bag some bargains.

If you want to spend a lot of money and do it right - go see ping in Gainsborough and get fitted correctly.

Agree with the short game comment though - that's make or break, don't focus on how far you can hit it with a driver.

Anyone up for getting a game sorted?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Adam H

Thanks guys, after doing a bit of research I think im either going with the Ping G410 - G700 or Taylormade M6, Apparently all of those clubs/irons are more forgiving for a novice than the Taylormade M3 ranges.

Our local Pro is a good guy and actually recommended the PING G models to me the other week so spoke to him last night he said he'd be happy to take me out with a few different models to try and find a fit for me. For my height he's already said I fit into the regular length and probably a regular flex as well but he'll tell me more once he's seen me swing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Adam H

Had a little play with 4 sets at the weekend, The Callaway APX, Ping G410, Taylormade M6 and the Cobra F9's. Taylormade M6, Ping and Callaway we're very close but ended up getting the Taylormade M6 Irons as they suited my swing much better. Was hitting them further with less effort, more accurately and more consistant.

Compared to my old Irons i should have got some new ones along time ago, yesterday I was hitting an accurate 7 Iron with a 190 - 210 carry, where my old set i was doing around 160 - 170.

18. pugyrob United Kingdom

pugyrob Well-Known Member

If you are hitting an accurate 7 iron 190-210 carry you are a beast. I am 6ft4 and used to teach golf (still play) and carry a 7 iron about 170!

19. Adam H

Certainly no beast, skinny lightweight ( 12 stone ) 6 foot bang on. I am a beginner though and my local pro has said before that my distances could be associated with incorrect swinging, probably using my arms to much instead of rotating, will find out on the 13th when Ive got a lesson booked with these new irons lol

20. pugyrob United Kingdom

pugyrob Well-Known Member

Yeah think something weird is going on, maybe hooding the club, tiger hits a 7 iron up to likely 190

https://golftips.golfweek.com/far-can-tiger-woods-hit-golf-ball-1763.html

21. Adam H

Quite possibly as according to google the avarage distance for a 9 Iron is 120 yards for a man, but Ive been hitting 150+ yard with a 9 comfortably from the ground (not off a tee), Id imagine im getting under the ball to much or putting too much into my arms. I'm sure the PGA pro im seeing will have a field day trying to get my bad habits out of me :D