20i Domains

Charity Sale

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by simonb, Oct 28, 2021.

1. simonb

simonb Active Member

I used to own a company which was a single dictionary word and I traded under the .co.uk. It closed down several years ago and I have no plans to resurrect it. I started to get lots of email from individuals to the domain with attachments of passports / driving licenses and utility bills on a regular basis and found out it was from a charity who use the .org.uk.

Long story short I told them about it and now they want the domain. First they expressed an interest in buying it and now the FD has asked if I would donate it. The charity has over £2m in income and spent 250k on fund raising last year so I don't feel like it's something I should give away. I'm not sure how to price it or whether to give it a discount.

Thoughts?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

I'd stop incoming emails as that's a horror legal story waiting to happen.

Depending on the charity it actually was for, I'd meet half way. Discuss a price which you both agree on and then when it comes to raising the invoice, give them a 50% discount. If it was a charity you felt you wanted to support, give it to them for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

Charities are not charities anymore. They are mostly gravy trains for parasites to enrich themselves. Sadly the days of the real charities who donate their time for no salary are gone, or at least they never get a look in.

I'd sell it to this charity for all you can get, then if you are that way inclined, donate the money you got to a much smaller charity in the same field. One that doesn't pay the directors £100k a year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2