Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

cPanel Inc. announce massive price increase

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Ben Thomas, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Not sure if anybody here will use cPanel, it's likely though. They have just announced a 500% price increase literally overnight a week or so ago. I've never seen anything like it and the industry is in uproar. cPanel's reviews have gone right down in the past week. I think this is what business suicide looks like.

https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/announcing-account-based-pricing.656071/

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. RobM

RobM Retired Member

I used cpanel a lot in the past. They were great but really tied you into upgrades. Now if I must use a panel I use centos webpanel. It's free but less friendly. I advise people to throw off the cpanel chains, look into free alternatives, and learn about your servers. Really if cpanel is doing stuff and you don't *know* how to perform the same action then you shouldn't be maintaining a server for the public. Time saving is one thing - replacing knowledge is another. This is why so many servers are insecure and easily hacked by script kiddies... also if a customer wants to run wordpress or phpnuke or any plethora of those awful overbloated. insecure, third party scripts run a mile :p Cpanel have probably done the industry a favour here (at their own expense of course).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ben Thomas

I've used cPanel for years Rob, I really like how easy it makes everything. Tasks that normally take up much valued time in the terminal are much easier through cPanel, it's always been really nicely put together and the support has always been great. That being said, I agree with you and people should learn how to manage and secure a server before using a management panel like this. However, I'm going to miss using it when I fuck them off for pulling the rug from underneath me. I guess this is what happens when good companies get bought by bad corporations.

5. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Seems a lot of people are going to Direct Admin.

6. Ben Thomas

Never been a fan of DA. Saying that, I've not touched it for about 10 years it has likely improved lol.

7. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Yeah it was announce last week sometime, it's not to bad for end users as a VPS with less than 5 accounts on it would only increase $5, but when you have 20+ VPS, half of which have more than 5 accounts which means a $15 increase on those servers, the costs mount up. With the hike in dedicated server licences and them being capped at 100 accounts is a lesser cost increase, but still a hit which it will be difficult not to pass on to clients in some way or another.

It's understandable to be fair though and probably expected to a degree, certainly not suiside for cpanel. It will scare some people off, i suspect until they realise there isn;t really a well supported alternative to serve client based businesses at scale, because uiltimately cpanel saves us more time than dealing with the problem other panels face, not because of the technicalities or the quality of the panel but because of the time taken and support available...time is money more than anything else.

You have to think that cpanel licencing was equipt for the days of dedicated servers and VPS with large shared allocations, with the now popularity of performance cloud VPS everyone can have performance at a reasonable cost and that hike in usage has probably resulted in more problems and more expense at Cpanels end which needs to be covered somehow.

8. RobM

RobM Retired Member

In the cut throat webhosting industry this will make a lot of pricing structures inviable. A lot of people will have to move off cpanel or close.

9. Ryan Ewen

Ryan Ewen Active Member

Plesk

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

I agree, primarily those that offer dirt cheap unlimited hosting with little margin and rely on quantity rather than quality I suspect. These plans look to price out those which cram as many clients on to a server at minimal cost.

11. Ryan Ewen

Ryan Ewen Active Member

I think that the industry has changed. Years ago people wanted hosting. Now with cloud offerings people want speed & performance etc

12. lazarus

lazarus Super Moderator Staff Member

Whoever made this decision wont be getting a Christmas bonus this year..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

People still use cPanel!? I honestly thought it died out years ago. Was always crap.

If you don't know how to manage servers directly you shouldn't be doing server management. If you really know your stuff the terminal is going to be faster for you for most things than the likes of cPanel ever will.

14. lazarus

lazarus Super Moderator Staff Member

I always install and use ISPconfig on my Debian boxes but that would not be ideal for jim bob that just wants to start a wordpress site. Cpanel has it's place when offering hosting and does the Job extremely well. It is just a shame they have committed financial suicide.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  15. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

All well and good for your own servers or offering completely managed client hosting, not viable for the majority of business models which allow some form of client self management where a panel of any kind is cost and time effective. Different target markets and business models all have their merits, it has nothing to do with being able to manage a server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. untagged United Kingdom

untagged Active Member

+1 Vote for Virtualmin / Webmin ... Its free

• Like Like x 1
  17. dog

dog Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ben Thomas

I did like Webmin the small times I have used it, setting it up for clients etc. Personally, I'll be taking the price rise on the chin, for now at least. But for peoples informaton, Plesk is also owned by Oakley Capital (cPanel owners) and cPanel appears to be adopting Plesk's pricing structure.

Sentora is also good.

@DaveP cPanel and WHM has always been for companies wanting to host other clients. It's not always been crap, I heard it was really buggy and useless when it first launched (what isn't?) but it's quite refined these days. It's the panel of choice for web hosting businesses. Luckily for me web hosting isn't that big of a deal for me right now, I'm just glad I didn't invest more time into going down that route like I had planned at the start of this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. dog

dog Active Member

You have used it?

20. Ben Thomas

Before setting up my own company I worked for a different company (through a friend) and then we both went on to leave and I helped him set up his own company. Sentora was his panel of choice, as was the panel at our previous job because we were the tech guys there and managed the whole server infra.

21. Ben Thomas

There is little to no difference between hosting and "cloud offerings", people want hosting. It's been in the "cloud" since the internet began. This whole terminology of "cloud" has been hammered. Nothing has changed, people started using the word cloud and charging more. Real cloud hosting, is simply content served fro CDN. Irrespective of the term used, people still need to manage their hosting, and quite frankly cPanel does a great job for the end user.

• Agree Agree x 2