20i Reseller Hosting

Do Geo's make revenue...

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by namealot, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Systreg Ireland

Systreg Well-Known Member

Hi Mal,

Sorry about calling you Philip, got mixed up with the geos of Mr orchard and the Geo in your user name.

Yes, good point, there will always be the chance of errors in what people from outside an area may write, but I'll go through articles after I receive them and check details to try and make sure they are still current/correct, and once I'm living there and doing the writing myself, it'll be spot on anyway.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. retired_member34

retired_member34 Retired Member

Ha no worries, when I look at his geos I sometimes wish I was Phil. Good luck with your geo, I find them more interesting than most websites I've developed.

4. RSK3000 United Kingdom

RSK3000 Active Member

Namealot, this is an area I have been looking into for years. The big problem is that if you dont have the .com of the place you are at a big disadvantage.

You can get over this with regularly updated compelling content. A good example is the success of the hyperlocal news site WestSeattleBlog.com. The owners have discussed their business in a variety of places, and their site now provides a full time living for them. I cite this blog because the owners have freely explained their business model in some detail over the last few years. For example, here is a good video where the site owner basically explains in some detail how they developed and monetised their site. http://multimedia.journalism.berkeley.edu/presentations/249/
    Its about 70 minutes long, but valuable if you want to go down the content rich hyperlocal route, as opposed to the business directory route followed by DomainKing.

5. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Thanks I’ll have a look... I’ve had different tld's and cctld even .tel ???? geo’s and they were more business directory type some com's were usa locations and they did a little better I wondered if it was because yanks were more used to looking “regional” even the smallest places seamed to have local radio, newspapers, TV stations etc the ones offered are uk and co.uk

6. wb

wb Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Forgot to comment on this earlier in the thread, but I do definitely think there is money to be made with geo domains. Exactly how much will depend on how you plan to monetise them and how popular the location is.

How big are the towns/cities in terms of population? Do they appeal to tourists or only locals? I imagine if they are tourist locations then hotel bookings could be ideal for generating revenue, or if for locals then a directory style may be better suited.

7. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that, 45mins in so far.

It's a good video to watch but it does seem to me she isn't entirely happy with what she has created and has made it into a bit of a ball and chain.

It's interesting that going forward her plans were to change the design of the very dated wordpress theme and also change the domain name to remove the word 'blog'. That was over two years ago and today the site is still exactly the same.

My local site does a mix of everything http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/ - it's a family run business and they have gone from living in a flat to a nice house and driving a Bentley. They also offer other services though, for example they design and build a lot of sites for local businesses.

8. retired_member34

Good video. Another one that blogs on the hows and whys of hyperlocal success is Howard Owens of The Batavian. See Howard's Five Rules of Hyperlocal Advertising.

Wow, I've missed this one, thanks for the link. Judging by the number of profiles and sponsored listsings that is making a nice revenue stream, if they stick to their rate card.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jwm United Kingdom

jwm Active Member

Looking at the footer of the Rochdale site, it is part of a franchise model http://www.asklocal.co.uk/

10. boxfish United Kingdom

boxfish Well-Known Member

They own the franchise, look at the whois.

They are very clever, they have monetised every aspect it seems.

11. retired_member34

A want to be franchise perhaps? There seems to be a lot of cross ownership of the sites and the franchise site itself. Only Rochdaleonline seems to have any significant advertising.

12. domainking

domainking Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.