20i Domains

DomainSalesHistory.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by seemly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. webber

webber Active Member

Just ran a quick test and this seems to work now. It was only affecting [Tag = FAIRY], might be worth checking the logs.
    It would be nice if the status would show Suspended too, it only shows registered at the moment.
    Sorting by column would make it so much more useful.

Great work!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Ahh, registration status - another great spot. Thank you!
    I just fixed this and uploaded the changes.

Regarding sorting columns - are there any specific columns you would want to sort by? Or just all of them?

4. webber

webber Active Member

Sorting by column on all columns throughout the site would make most sense from UX perspective.
    As a user, once you see you can sort a column, you expect to be able to do that everywhere.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Quite right, but both completely different use cases.

Sorting bulk whois; I'll be honest and say I've never needed to use bulk whois anyway, hence why I missed the registration status, and tag issues.

This is also why I don't know what users would want to sort by, especially as export to CSV functionality exists and users can import to excel in order to sort and filter however they like.

Also the implementation here would be via javascript only, to avoid additional or duplicate queries.

Sorting sales: You can currently sort by Price or Sale Date, using search fields.

Sorting columns by table headings is on the todo list, but can be bumped up the priority list if deemed that useful.

6. webber

webber Active Member

In my case I have my own script that can export bulk whois to a csv, but I have to generate an input file, run the script, open the csv in Excel... a lot of hassle if I only want to do a few quick checks.
    Your bulk whois would simply offer an easier option, always on hand no matter what computer I use, and with a nicer GUI (I absolutely hate MS Excel)

You are right about sorting sales results, the option is available already and adding it to the table headings might just confuse things.
    Though personally I would still use it once a results per page option gets implemented since I would probably opt for 100+ results per page and sorting by a different column within those results would still be useful.

To be clear what I am suggesting is a simple javascript to perform a client side sorting, not a reload of the page.
    Some time ago I had a Chrome plugin that would add sorting functionality to any correctly formatted html table on any website.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely loving the feedback, so thank you for taking the time!

I hear you, and I will look to implement sorting by table headings when I'm next doing some coding.

• Like Like x 1
  8. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Latest Update: Table Sorting

At the suggestion and request of @webber, table sorting has now been applied throughout.
    I haven't added any visual clues that this functionality exists yet, but will do in future for improved user experience.

The only place I have noticed it doesn't work very well is when a cell is malformed, and the only instance I found of this was on the home page in the 7/30 day sales price column.

If you come across any other issues, please let me know!

Edit: I am aware the row background colour isn't updated when sorting, and this is something that I am willing to live with for now. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. webber

webber Active Member

Sorting works like a charm – perfect!
    The new Start button in the bulk whois is confusing... I actually didn't see it first time and launched an incognito window to test again.
    If there is a technical reason for that then maybe place it on the left so it is more obvious, if not I would just loose it tbh.
    But otherwise great stuff!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Latest Update: Search Banner

I have now created a quick search banner on the home page.

The sales details page also shows the banner, with different wording.
    Contents may change over time, but the functionality seems like an improvement for now.

screely-1611699351477.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. webber

webber Active Member

The other day I made a quick mockup of the homepage banner how I thought it should incorporate search, but I didn't like it so I binned it. Just for a lough here's what I did:
    Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 19.46.10.png

You did a much better job, well done – a simple search field is much easier to use and looks much better!
    The only thing I would tweak around that is to give it rounded corners to match the style throughout, and to reduce the top and bottom padding so that you bring more of the stats in the first fold:
    Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 09.25.24.png

Then, when you perform a search from the home page, automatically translate that into an advanced search.
    For example, searching for "pay" on the home page takes you to https://domainsaleshistory.uk/sales/pay which for some reason only shows 10 results and still has the simplified search banner at the top.
    In my view a search from the homepage should take you to https://domainsaleshistory.uk/sales?domain=pay with full results and the advanced search at the top in order to refine your search.

Just my two cents...

12. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I think that's valid feedback, and i've implemented most of it.
    Thanks again, @webber

For sure there are some tweaks I can implement, and I will do to try and refine the process over the coming days.

One thing I don't like is the jarring nature of home page (has banner) > sales page (no banner) > domain page (has banner).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. webber

webber Active Member

You're right, it's inconsistent. I didn't notice that.
    It would make sense to remove the search banner from the sales page entirely.
    It's probably safe to assume that when reaching that page the user will make use of the browser back button to navigate back and forth from search results and sales details.
    And for those users ending up on a sales page from an external source, then there is the related sales table for them to continue their journey.

Another thing I just noticed while accessing the site from my mobile is that the advanced search takes an awful lot of vertical space at mobile resolution. Maybe it should be collapsed - only fields that have been filled in should be visible with an option to reveal the rest.

14. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

The reason I may be inclined to keep it on the sales page is for streamlined research. I could reduce the height dramatically for this page specifically.

One way around the vertical issue on mobile would be to determine the primary search fields of the advanced search form, and hide the others until the link "advanced search" is clicked, which then displays all available search fields.

This way the same search banner can be used throughout, and the UX consistent.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  15. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Latest Update: Random Sales Fact Banner

Nothing too much to report, just a fun banner that displays a domain name, times it has been sold, and accumulative sales price. This banner currently only appears on the home page.

Only domains that have been sold more than once will appear, with a button to view more details.

screely-1612200467691.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. webber

webber Active Member

In my opinion, this gamification is unnecessary and is not appropriate for the professional target audience.
    Might make sense if the domain showcased is currently for sale, but then it's advertising and you should get an affiliate link with it (sedo has an api I think).

PS: Add a donate/buy me a beer button

17. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Look what I got :p

upload_2021-2-1_18-34-55.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

I would advise against wearing second hand underwear...

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Unfortunately(?) this is actually one of the very reasons I did start to collate historic data in the first place. Maybe not this banner or method specifically, but to try and make the data more interesting, to highlight repetition, common patterns, and/or trends.

If feedback is generally negative towards it, I could potentially add a configurable setting for signed up users to turn this kind of feature off?

Thanks for the suggestion! For now, I added a ko-fi button in the header.
    Or if you're on mobile it can be found in the mobile navigation.

I don't expect people to support my work, but it certainly does help keep the motivation going!

• Like Like x 3
  20. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

A quick shout out to @lazarus and @webber for testing out the donate button! Very much appreciated! :)

21. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Unfortunately access to the ukbackorder.com sales feed seems to have been revoked, so it will no longer feature on the home page.
    All existing sales records from ukbackorder.com remain searchable.

The "Last 7 days" and "Last 30 days" panels now only displays current and previous time period sales data for: Domainlore, Flip, and Sedo.

dashboard-last-x-days.png