20i Domains

DomainSalesHistory.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by seemly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. webber

webber Active Member

I think the blog is a great addition but it risks being forgotten/ignored if not promoted more and make it all feel joined up.
    I would suggest better integrating the blog with the main website to the point that they are indistinguishable visually, even if they are different systems.
    It's never a good idea (old style of doing things) to have a blog as subdomain. I understand it is easier to set it up this way , but it's not a whole lot more difficult to install WP at https://domainsaleshistory.uk/blog
    Then I would say it is important to at least make the top menu the same across the main site and the blog.
    This way navigating between sections doesn't give the impression of navigating to a different site.
    Just my two cents... since I was the only one using $ last month ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Thanks as ever for the feedback, @webber. Always appreciated.

Aesthetics

A very valid point, and one that I will address in the coming weeks/months.

As I've become more experienced I've realised that in order to get things started you need to remove obstacles.
    This means launching MVP's (minimum viable products). I can always modify it over time. If I wait it to be "perfect" then it will never get launched.

Subdomain V.S Folder:
    At the most basic technical perspective you're correct, but I am treating these as 2 separate projects - from both a code and content perspective.

From the code perspective and development environments both local and live, I want them in 2 physically separate directories. That means I need to implement rewrites and redirects.
    The other thing to acknowledge is URL structure:

/root
    /root/blog
    /root/blog/default-post-category = https://domainsaleshistory.uk/blog/blog

That's another weird rewrite (obstacle) that I would need to overcome and implement. Not huge, but something I don't want to have to immediately concern myself with.

TLDR
    At this stage I just want to get something live and be able to get into the habit of writing regular half-decent content (which will be a challenge in itself).

• Like Like x 1
  4. webber

webber Active Member

Wp can be installed in a subdirectory without any issues, though url rewrites should be given some careful consideration.
    Calling the default category "Blog" on a blogging platform is redundant ;)
    Apart from that I agree with everything you said.

5. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I know it can be installed in a subdirectory, but I don't want to be modifying my script automations for deployments or having to play around with GIT submodules when changes are made to either the main app, or the Wordpress theme.

I agree, and even having a category of "blog" on a subdomain named "blog" is redundant, the Wordpress default category is "uncategorised" which is more shit than having "blog" as the default category. :D

Although it is hosted on a subdomain named ".blog", I personally want to treat it as a completely separate entity being used solely as a CMS that uses data collated from the main app to help generate Blog posts and Sales Reports.
    Eventually I could convert to use Wordpress as a headless CMS, with articles appearing on the main app - but again, these are obstacles that can be addressed at a later date.

More importantly, I want to highlight that I do genuinely appreciate the feedback. For the interim at least this is the best solution for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Latest Update:

Nothing for you guys to see, but plenty going on in the background.

Currently working on implementing an improved admin interface for myself, along with creating a public API. This will allow me to start building things more freely and accessibly. I'm thinking:
    1. User domain sale submissions.
    2. Improved search and filter functionality.
    3. Dynamic components I can use in the blog.
    4. Browser extension(s).
    The public API won't be open to all, but I will be able to assign authorisation tokens to selected users if there is any interest (there probably won't be).

7. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Latest Update:

As mentioned in the last update, most of the changes I've been working on have been behind the scenes creating an admin interface, as well as slowly working on a public API.

It's been much of the same for the last week or so, with only the following really being worthy mentions:
    1. Sales report admin dashboard.
    2. Highlighting domains with prior sales.

Sales Report Admin Dashboard

I built an admin dashboard for myself that gathers all the data I would like to display in the monthly sales reports. I wanted to prioritise this as I will need to write this months sales report soon.

Anything that can make this process easier has got to be a good thing (for me).

Highlighting Domains With Prior Sales:

Nothing major, but with the work I have been doing to the sales report dashboard means I made it easier to highlight domains that have prior sales history.

Hovering on the star tells you how many times the domain name has sold before. This is a feature restricted to members only, so you will only see this if you have an account and are signed in.

new-feature-highlighting-prior-sales-history.png

• Like Like x 1