20i Domains

Expired Domains Update - 14/10/20

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by gregfindley, Oct 14, 2020.

1. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

Thought it might be useful to create a thread on todays zoom call with the slides.

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 10.04.58.png Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 10.06.22.png Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 10.09.33.png Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 10.12.56.png Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 10.15.51.png

• Informative Informative x 8
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. ian

ian Well-Known Member

I suggested in the meeting that they should revert to an RoR drop initially rather than them testing a system at great expense to us (what did Nick say, "just got to try it and proof is in the pudding"). That removes the need for DAC and the potential 'pooling' of resource, and allows Nominet to only having to focus on securing the EPP against exploits rather than charging us for the pleasure of finding out. I'm not against 'pay to play', but only if fair to all; if Nominet cannot fix current issues, they'll remain afterwards too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DJ Wood United Kingdom

DJ Wood Active Member

I was advised it will be at least a £1,000 annual fee when I recently joined. They were initially considering £600 but they felt it wasn't high enough to deter misuse. They were/are also considering increasing the annual fee above £1,000.

5. Sirbigman

Sirbigman Active Member

Isn't this same thing as now but more expensive? Can't this be exploited by using multiple tags?

6. Fred Steven Cyprus

Fred Steven Member

Yes, but I presume a lot of tags won't pay the £1000, so multiple tags will be now more efficient :)

7. Sirbigman

Sirbigman Active Member

So it’s futile

8. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

This to me seems to only benefit and reward the people that were abusing the system?

They would have plenty of money for memberships due to grabbing all the best domains, yet will now have less competition.

They're going to scoop up even more domains.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sirbigman

Sirbigman Active Member

Yes, perfect point.
    I was pretty shocked to see that this is the best method Nominet can come up with.

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Maximum EPP connections is the problem here; if you limit it, multi-taggers will just load them all up (if profitable to do so, then spawn more). Nominet need to rethink their strategy here, if catching multi-taggers is next to impossible, they need to just roll out the RoR style drop system so DAC isn't a factor, and away goes any possible DAC pooling; allowing them to focus purely on securing the EPP; everything else can have a 100ms delay.

Graeme makes some valid points here, https://www.greywing.uk/the-blog/nominet-washes-hands-drop-system.

I would urge everyone that cares about drop catching to reach out to Leanne on engagement@nominet.uk who has said they'll welcome feedback (in light of no further consultations), and encourage them not to go down the route of pay-to-play unless they lift the limits and at least give all members a single connection so those 'hobby' domainers at least still have a chance of luck. I'd suggest they need to reduce their areas of focus first by rolling out RoR drops to stamp out DAC abuse, and from there can see how they might tackle the rest.

If we are stuck with a pay model, then £100 per connection with no maximum is surely a more sensible approach; the first connection being 'free' as part of your annual renewal.

• Like Like x 3
  11. sigh Malta

sigh Member

If they impose *any* limits on tags they will encourage people to multitag.
    Your idea sounds the best to me but then a lot of people will be unhappy because they won't want to pay more to have better chances. However it would be far more profitable for nominet in the long run, reduce the amount of tags, whilst maintaining (or increasing) revenue.
    I think nominet really need to decide who they're trying to appeal to. Hobbyists or businesses. Your £100 per connection would appeal to both.

• Like Like x 2
  12. webber

webber Active Member

Definitely do that!