Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

first page on google.

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by mally, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Hello all

One of my domains has hit the first page of google today. Hurray! :p

The problem is though when I've had a look at the description, its from my old index page design which I changed a 2 days ago. The google cache says the 4th November!

Should I change my site to how it was?

Mally

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. uglygit

uglygit Active Member

I know how you feel Mally, I've changed the description and the keywords on my domain but the indexed data with the old keywords & desc has gone to page 2 (fourth from the top) and I'm contemplating on changing it back.

4. mally United Kingdom

mally Well-Known Member

Any seo experts on here able to give advice please, the longer I leave it the harder it will be for me to remember what to change back lol

5. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

How much did you change?

If the content of the page is largely the same, and the new design (?) is'nt optimised any less than the original you should be fine.

The description meta tag is'nt all that important. Did you change the title tag?

If you tell me the URL i'll take a quick look for you.

6. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

You say first page but for what phrase?
    Add a town to it for example does it still come top?

e.g. My site comes top for "low cost website design and hosting" it doesn't its just an example.

Add a town or county it and it disappears. or remove one word like "cost" again gone with out a trace.

So I find it hard to understand when people say i'm on page 1 of Google.

The way I do it, is to try and get into customers heads and what they would type and the longer the better.
    Long tail searches are the ones that will bring you visitors that buy not the person that types "HOSTING" (plus you try and get on page 1 for the word "HOSTING" LOL) it will be the guy that types "low cost 0800 hosting with asp support in Yorkshire"

Hope people agree with me here ;)

Make a list of say 50 key word phases use software or just search Google and see where you come in it's rankings for each phrase.

And enter it into a spread sheet, make small changes and sit back at least for a week to see results.

Then repeat the spread sheet process . add more words to do with the phases you choose and cross referencing them against stats for your site what people are searching for. You should see your site climb slowly but steadily up to page one and keep there with a tweak here and there.

I did it with a Treatments Abroad network of sites and got very good results.

Did i make sense just then ? typing as i was thinking :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

Yes and no.

Long tail searches like those you mention often 'convert' better but people who search generic terms still convert well.

Its really a matter of analysing what works best, if you don't have a budget don't waste time / money targetting seo for the term hosting.

Equally make sure you target a term that actually has traffic!

8. golddiggerguy United Kingdom

golddiggerguy Well-Known Member

Sorry forgot to mention http://www.google.com/trends this shows what people are typing (usually only shows very heavly searched terms) but can help you decide.

See this link
    "Cheap hosting" comes out on top.

Not trying to prove a point or say I know it all because i'm far from it ;)
    Just trying to help others :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

Not doubting it.

A few hints from me to try and easily attract some longtail traffic is to use conjunctive words within your site structure / template.

IE. Incorporating words such as buy, cheap, bargain, reviews within your template or page text will often find you ranking for numerous (but (semi?) targetted) long tail traffic.

10. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

You only appear in google for a search term if those words appear on your page - better if in same phrase

OR

if they appear in a link pointing at your page (this is why you should get numerous different links pointing at your page including terms that don't appear on your site).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.