20i Domains

Flip UK Auction Guns.co.uk

Discussion in 'Domain Name Auctions' started by Trauiner, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Paullas

Paullas Moderator Staff Member

What is the reserve on it :)

4. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Interesting how all the decent domains on flip mostly have a reserve and DL they don't but surely it's 99% of the same people looking anyway.

5. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

You don't see reserves on DL because the owner actively discourages. If you put an auction on DL with a reserve, you have to pay 10% of the starting or reserve price (whichever is larger), if the domain doesn't sell.

So if a reserve was £10k for example and the domain didn't sell, you would owe DL £1,000.

If I remember correctly, the owner said it's done to discourage reserve auctions as most people put unrealistic domain reserves. I do feel there should be an exception for certain domains on that rule, but the way he does it seems to work for him.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  6. JMI

Thanks but I disagree with your hypotheses because having looked at DL auction data and the quality of domains over the last 10 years, theres nearly never been a reserve set by owners. So for some reason people are happy to send to DL auction, off the bat "premium" domains worth "thousands" with no reserve but not on flip.. but its fundamentally the same group of people on both sides.

7. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

It seems pretty straight forward to me?

On flip it's 'free' protection for the seller. On DL, it's expensive protection for the seller.

If DL offered 'free' protection, I'm pretty sure you'd see loads of reserve auctions going up. The problem then is you would see lots of auctions not selling; which is why DL does it.

8. JMI

I'm quite thick so bear with me.. but what your saying still does not make any sense because people are prepared to send names with no reserve on DL but not Flip and your saying the only reason for this is because of the Flip free 'protection'. So if it's the same people, why are they prepared to risk selling on DL.

9. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

I'm not sure how to explain it any more. It's just because it's part of the flow process for each specific site of submitting a domain.

If DL offered to do reserves with no cost attached to it, you'd see more auctions with a reserve there.

You can't treat site behaviour as interchangeable though, which you are doing.

As otherwise you could say why does anyone bother listing on DL and pay a commission when you can sell it on flip, for no cost at all. (If the same customers are on each.)

People use different sites, differently. Even if they offer the same sort of service.

10. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

This ends tomorrow.