20i Reseller Hosting

Here is how not to do it

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by mikins31, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

I had guy contacting me today on Ebay stating:

Hi,

I was looking at purchasing one of your domains and was wondering how it works with transferring

Kind Regards

So I replied explaining, about hand over details, option between free push or transfer via Nominet and everything else I could think of.

I also checked items he then had for sale, which was 4 items completely irrelevant to domain names at all.

Now I went back to his profile by mistake just after rugby match finished and noticed he suddenly has 10 items for sale. Fair enough, maybe guy is looking to start out shifting domains and get the feel for it. But what really caught my attention was:

Seems like he went on to create few listing with domain names for sale, without actually registering them at all, except for one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221889955809

Which seem to be registred by someone else on 15-september-2015 as seller is stating domain is at GoDaddy. Doing quick search you will see it's actually located at 123-reg
    http://www.whois.com/whois/kiddiekingdom.co.uk

Unless there is some terrible glitch, I personally haven't seen before when all the domains not only come up as available at Whois.com, but also at all registrars I checked, this guys is certainly coming up with way 'how not to do it'

Here is the sellers profile in case if you want to have a look at all the listings:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/magicmansupplies

I didn't gave him any advice on how to sell domain names and certainly not to try to sell something you don't even own :D

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

When transferring a .uk domain name, a "free push" is not a legitimate transfer option. Changes of Registrant always have to be done through Nominet one way or another.

4. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

How weird is that? Selling stuff that's free to reg.

Who pays the reg fee? Who pays the transfer? Who pays the ebay fee?

odd.

5. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

Perhaps he has .com and .uk names for sale.

6. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

You can actually push .co.uk domains between GoDaddy accounts for free! Sold many names that way with no problems ;) Heard from many people confirming it with GD customer service too..
    Obviously still use Nominet, if buyer wishes to receive name at other registrar.

It was discussed here on acorns some time a go too!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  7. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

I would think he's planning to find buyer, then quickly hand register domain himself and just push it over.. IMO

I mean it could work in theory. I have sold and pushed names to other GD account only hours after registering them before, but not gone about it the way he is!

8. suggs United Kingdom

suggs Retired Member

This is correct.

I tried this after hearing it somewhere and within 10 minutes of transferring it to another godaddy account the whois had updated to the new registrant details.

9. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Accredited Registrars can do free transfers on behalf of their customers and that is what GoDaddy offer, but it's not always the case - as many believe - that pushing a .uk (as you would a dotcom) transfers registration. That is what I was pointing out.

http://www.nominet.uk/uk-domain-names/manage-your-domain/transfer

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Are you 100% sure that a Godaddy push also changes the primary email address associated with the domain name? (you can't see that listed in a Whois lookup)

If not, I imagine that could be a security issue in that the old owner still has some association with the domain name.

11. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Agreed, We've had this said a couple of times after i brought it up a couple of months ago, doing a registrar transfer doesnt change the email in the Whois in most cases ( not checked on godaddy ) . Namecheap i tested it with and it keeps the original details after pushed.

On 123 reg however you can change the email and the address of the registrant but not the name, so you can move it to a completely different nominet account but you'd still need to pay to change the name on the whois via a Nominet transfer.

12. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

Few names I have received from other GoDaddy accounts, I had no problems whatsoever with, changing all details including e-mail contact address. Here is example of last domain currently left in my portfolio, which I purchased for few pounds and received as a push via GoDaddy.
    WineEvenings.co.uk

Whenever I received any name from other members, once I change details whois.com info usually updates within hours, as well as name automatically transfers into my Nominet account. All the domain related notifications comes straight to my e-mail as well, so I don't think there are any problems there.

Haven't had any problems so far when selling names and just pushing to buyers via GD, although you do have to remind buyers to remember to change contact details manually once name is accepted in their account.

Worth mentioning use to have problems with domains either jumping back and forward from my Nominet account to buyers Nominet account and whois info not updating as it should. Wasn't great when you know you usually have to get in touch with both Nominet and GoDaddy customers services, sometimes even few times just to complete each transfer.

I don't have a problem with paying Nominet transfer fee, but if that's often creates even more confusion, Why make process more complicated?

13. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

There is no way of seeing from the Whois output whether the email address is correctly updated at Nominet's end or not.

NOTE: I am not suggesting that the email address is incorrectly updated through Godaddy - I have no idea if that's the case or not. But historically the only way to be 100% sure that every field changed correctly during a transfer was to go via Nominet. Perhaps that situation has changed due to the Accredited Registrar programme though.

14. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

Thanks for your input Edwin and other guys..

I know that Transferring names via Nominet is the way to ensure it's done 100% correct. As mentioned, I still transfer names via Nominet when buyer wishes to receive name at other register, or choose to pay £12 even when keeping name at GoDaddy. After explaining how it works to best of my abilities most buyers choose to go with free push option though. Same as I am doing when picking up UK domain registered at GD.

Here is example of domain I mentioned WineEvenings.co.uk in my Nominet account with all the details, including my e-mail which always has updated automatically when names received from other GoDaddy accounts via push. Plus all the notifications from both Nominet and GoDaddy always fallows true to my e-mail after acquiring domains

[​IMG]

15. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

LOL.. But wouldnt the ebay guy be out of pocket if he did sell one of those domains for £4.99 ? or is that Godaddy doing a loss leader ?

16. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

I was thinking same thing :D But co.uk names at GoDaddy are actually for £3.49 when you pick it up for one year. Then, if you choose to renew further it's £7 a year ;)

So he makes +/- 50p after reg fee, ebay and PayPal fees on that name..

17. humble pie United Kingdom

humble pie Banned

when I hear anything 'push' to do with a domain (especially .uk) it almost makes me feel physically sick because there's nearly always a retarded domain sale taking place by two incompetents.

18. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Quiet a few big companies are starting to use the .uk...

The Ordnance Survey now simply has "os.uk" printed on its maps.

In time, the .uk will gain a strong foothold, imho.

19. mikins31 Latvia

mikins31 Active Member

Of course, you got every right to express your opinion! If I understand your comment correctly though I learnt not to take you serious at all, based on few other of your comments on this forum. Probably one of the infamous double (troll) profiles, so whatever..

It's easy to do that on-line hiding behind the screen. We all know that :D Works Ok for entertainment purposes too!

What's your definition of retarded? Last time I checked It's certainly not something that has always worked out just fine from point I'm looking.. If you had mixed experiences lets hope it goes better for you in the future!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.