20i Reseller Hosting

Historic UK Domain Sale Prices

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by seemly, Mar 26, 2017.

1. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

As some of you may be aware from other threads, I have a database of historic UK domain sale prices found here:

http://seemly.co.uk/domains/prices

For some time, it just sat there requiring some development, but still very much functional.
    Recently, I have spent some time optimising this app, and generally making it more useful.

Some recent feature implementations were:
    • Limit and paginate initial results
    • Implement search functionality
    • Responsive table layout for mobile
    • Optimise load times (remove javascript filtering and limiting results as mentioned above)
    • Order results based on sale completion date
    More recently, I have;
    • Spent some time fixing display order of domains based on date. This was due to how the date was being stored - mainly on legacy data gathered years ago. This has now been fixed.
    • Search functionality;
      • If you only enter 1 character into the search field, this will return all domains starting with that character.
      • If more than 1 character is entered, domains are returned based on containing that character combination.
    • Keyboard shortcuts (lowercase chars)
      • Press 'L' for next page
      • Press 'K' for previous page
      • Press 'S' for search field to gain focus
      • Press 'P' for pagination dropdown to gain focus
    If you preferred previous functionality of javascript column search and column ordering, the "View All" button will implement this for you. (But probably not for much longer)

Yet to implement:
    • Ordering of columns by DESC/ASC
    • Multi-column ordering
    • Search by column
    • Add functionality to auto-update results with sales from other sources (sedo, etc)
    If you have any additional functionality that could be interesting and/or useful, add your suggestions to this thread.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention above, but you can also view historic domain sale trends on the following URL;

http://seemly.co.uk/domains/trends

This page shows a breakdown of sale trends across month, year, character length, etc.

I am happy to add more graphs if you feel that something may be of interest or use.
    Again, just add your comments and suggestions below.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

If anybody is aware of other UK based domain sale RSS feeds or newsletters than can be used for more data harvesting, if you could post or send me the URL that would really help, too!

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

UK domain auctions from Sedo now added automatically.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I tried scraping dnjournal and some others but the code (on their site) is messy, putting dates to them is random if not impossible. If your regex is better than mine (a trained monkey may actually be better) maybe worth a go.

• Like Like x 1
  7. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I would want to go to those lengths to get historic records.
    Maybe I could in future, but it seems more hassle than it's worth. Maybe I'll stick it on some kind of low priority todo list, so I can avoid that horrible job.

I also realised yesterday that the Sedo RSS feed is bullshit for the domains that exist on it currently as they do not display the sale date, but the publication date of the RSS feed (today).
    This will be fine for all domains in the feed moving forward as my DB will update daily via cron, so any updates to the RSS feed would be the correct(?) sale date.
    It's just shit on Sedos behalf - though I'm not sure they could care less.

I was thinking about creating a public web form for UK domain sale submissions? Not sure what the feedback on this would be like, though.
    I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone would submit any domain sales in the first instance, but to also provide some sort of evidence of sale completion so I can verify prior to publishing is highly unlikely.

8. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

A much better approach would be to email Ron Jackson and ask his permission to include sales first reported in DNJournal. Perhaps with the incentive of a link back to his site (or even to the appropriate sales report page from his site, which would serve his visitors and yours even better) next to domain sales reports sourced from there. I assume he's got all the historic data in a spreadsheet or database or similar.

And if you get him to agree, you could then approach Denys at DomainLore once the DNJournal listings were up and running, and show him how the links would appear. Might encourage him to do the same deal for his backlog of data. And then go to Sedo and show them how the DNJ and DL listings look, and ask them if they'd share too (it doesn't matter which order you approach them, but you're more likely to get agreement with live examples to show them).

It's always going to be better to work with the primary data sources rather than borrow their sales stats since it strongly reinforces the credibility of your own site. If the "cost" is a link for each domain sale they tell you about, it seems like a price worth paying...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Potentially a good shout, Edwin.

I wouldn't have thought he'd be overly interested in having to do any manual work himself though, even if he does have easy access to historical spreadsheet or database?
    That's not a knock against the suggestion though, Edwin. For the sake of just sending an email it can't hurt to ask, I suppose.

10. Edwin

If it's all in a spreadsheet, I wouldn't have thought it would take him more than a few minutes to extract just the *.uk sales reports. For potentially hundreds of links in return, that may sound like a pretty good trade-off...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I emailed Ron and didn't even get a reply. That's why I tried scraping. I wasn't looking at a public facing project (I planned a plugin) so maybe he didn't feel like it were worth the hassle.

You may get a better response with the site, but a link with each reported sale back to the relevant weeks sale could be a good lure as Edwin said.

12. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Yesterday, @keys highlighted the issue of needing the functionality of querying the data.
    (https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/threads/a-quick-favour.146848/)

Last night I made a start on improving data queries from the front-end, creating URL's with search parameters.
    So a better version of querying the data is on the way very soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

OK, so quite a large update this evening (regarding search functionality).

Please bear in mind it might not be entirely bug free - so please let me know if there are any issues that are not mentioned below:

Known issues:
    1. Some "Source" platforms do not work. This is due to me needing to update values stored in DB:
      • DN journal
      • A4U
      • Domain focus auction
    2. char count
      • It is possible that you can select a value that doesn't exist in the DB.
      • I will eventually only display unique number values in here that actually exist in DB
    3. Limited returned results
      • Currently, there is a maximum display limit of 100 rows.
      • I need to do some more work around this and get pagination working correctly with it

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  14. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Active Member Full Member

Great to see this developing, it's a really good resource so thanks for taking the time to add to it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

The issue of filtering results by 'Source' has now been fixed, after normalising all records.

• Like Like x 1
  16. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I have modified the functionality of returned results. I hope it makes sense.

Search:
    In the search form, a new field has been introduced: 'Rows'.
    You can choose how many rows should be displayed from a defined set of options.
    • All
    Results from a search will NOT be paginated. This is by design as I don't think it adds any real benefit.

Pagination:
    Pagination will only ever appear when no search has been generated/executed.
    This does mean that a maximum of 100 results will be returned at a time when viewing via pagination, but this does allow you to view rows in order of most recent sale first.

Next on the agenda:
    Column sorting / ordering.

Also...
    Though not of any importance to any of you I'm sure, I have added a Paypal Donate button to both the Domain Prices Table view, and the Domain Prices Trends view.
    This isn't intended to actually prompt any of you to donate, it's more to highlight to visitors that use Adblockers that if they find this resource useful that in order to maintain it's existence I need to cover costs.

Blocking ad's stops any chance of me generating revenue at all.
    For users who insist on blocking ad's, please consider donating via PayPal of any amount as to what you deem as fair usage.

17. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Minor new feature added:

On Domainlore, for domain auctions that have finished but are yet to be marked as 'complete' (payment of domain and transfer complete), these rows will have a status of 'incomplete' placed against them.

Domains marked with a status of 'incomplete' will be displayed as the following:

[​IMG]
    When the RSS feed is then updated (with completed sales) the rows will be updated to reflect the status.

I realise this is not much of an update, but could be interesting to see which auctions don't complete over time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  18. Edwin

I assume you'll be able to leave the incomplete ones out of any running totals, graphs and averages?

19. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Indeed. The Trends view has been updated to reflect these changes.

20. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Update - New 'Source' added: Flippa
    Flippa has now been added as a 'Source' for UK domain sales.
    Managed to get data from 2007, adding 136 domain sales.

Not a massive amount, but still relative.
    It's good to get as many platforms as possible to update the database.

Any new sales will be automatically added to the database.

• Like Like x 2
  21. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

There is now a way to order rows by price, found in the search form.
    I have only given the ability to order by price for now.

I may well add more 'order by' options but frankly, I think I will probably halt any further development on this, as it doesn't make me any money.

At least it is a usable resource now, that is mostly updated automatically.

If anyone finds any UK domains that have been sold that don't exist in the DB, please send it my way and I will try to add entries manually at some point.