20i Domains

Historic UK Domain Sale Prices

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by seemly, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I tried that a few times. The sticking point was getting anything by way of a date to match up, and prices was sketchy.

To say my regex skills are basic, would be understatement of the century, you will probably be able to do better. I was basically trying to just search for a table, then seach for ".uk" then read what's to the left of it if its alphanumeric, log it, and look for date, and look for a price.

There are lots and lots of sales listed which aren't inside the tables, stuff which gets honoury mention, or isn't high enough to make the league but decent prices, this stuff I tried to log using the above method, only I logged the URL of the page I found it on, so I could manually check.

You may do well to simply use the post time rather than anything else.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

If people paid to make their domains private on DomainLore, I don't think it's very fair that you scraped the data elsewhere and combined it to reveal the prices that people paid good money to hide. Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

More broadly, your tool is a fantastic resource. Thanks for putting it together, and continuing to refine it.

4. ian

ian Well-Known Member

But the price data remains available in other places, like here in the RSS feed, so why can't seemly use it too? I agree though, if someone has paid for privacy, then it should be as such, but that is hard to control in an auction style purchase where transparency is required. Clearly some are ok with this privacy 'leak', otherwise they wouldn't keep paying DL.

5. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I'm not purposely trying to work around any kind of Privacy flag. Currently I am still just trying to accurately locate and store as much historical sales data as I can.

As a buyer on Domainlore, I can pay to have the Privacy status updated at seemingly any time.
    But I will not be periodically checking Domainlore auction details pages to check whether Privacy status (or any other status) has been updated.

Maybe this is one way in which I can monetise my application in future, but is not a priority to automate this process currently.
    Although, saying that; If anybody does have an auction that appears in my application that they DO want persistent privacy, I can arrange this manually for a fee.

Thanks, @Edwin. Appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  6. Skinner

How are you dealing with names which have multiple sales, such as Raj.co.uk currently on there.

Have you allowed for this in the Database ? if not now is the time ;)

This could also account for some of the missing revenue.

7. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

How do you mean?
    Duplicate rows? Or domains that have been sold on multiple occasions?

If the latter, this isn't an issue with storage - assuming the sale wasn't made in the same month & year, and the price isn't exactly the same.

8. Skinner

I was thinking the latter, I initially set domain as unique which meant when an item was re-sold, it would trigger an update query rather than log a new sale.

9. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Nah, it's all good. Thanks for bearing me in mind, though.

I am going to update the table at some point soon though, so I can display a count when a domain has been sold on multiple occasions.
    Eventually, I also want to implement a domain view page that will display details of;
    • The domains multiple sales,
    • Similar domain sales (based on price, char length, dictionary words, etc).
    • Inbound link analysis
    • Plus a few other ideas...

• Like Like x 2
  10. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Latest update: UK Bulk Whois

Having recently read the thread reporting that @grantw bulk whois tool is no more (currently), I decided to apply for Nominet whois2 access and build a UK bulk whois tool.

http://seemly.co.uk/domains/whois

CSV export will be added in due course.
    If you have any feature requests, give me a shout.

Yet another huge thanks goes to @Skinner for helping me out big time with this tool!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  11. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 7
  12. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Reading through my previous posts in this thread and touting future feature implementations, the bulk whois tool does indeed have CSV export ability.

http://seemly.co.uk/domains/whois

This isn't a new feature, but is something that you might not be aware of.

Probably limit yourself to something like 100 domains at a time, otherwise you risk timing out. I can improve this in future, but it's not high on the priority list.