Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Home Audio Sound System

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by CatchDrop, Dec 9, 2018.

1. CatchDrop

CatchDrop Active Member

Thought this might be a good place to pose a technology related question, keen to reclaim space from hifi separates and using phono leads to play music from my phone but I don't know what technology is about nowadays, here's my wishlist.

Considering a new sound system, for radio and spotify/mp3's or any other suggestions for music streamng thats better value.

Either controlled by laptop/phone or tablet if possible.

Nothing that expensive,

Would like it to suit some decent speakers with some bass, preferably nothing requiring charging or batteries.

My TV has a relatively good soundbar and subwoofer which has a hdmi port I could use.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

The Sonos stuff is great, although you really need to their software to use (ie you cant just select it as an audio output in i tunes for example) It plays well with spotify though and gets seen as an audio out option. Its also expandable and can work as a one speaker, or you can multiples for stereo/multi room etc.

If you just need bluetooth as an option on your current hi fi thats also very easy.

https://amzn.to/2PtEots

29 quid. You just plug phonos into current hifi and you can play via bluetooth from phone/laptop whatever. Simples.All you'll need is current amplifier and speakers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CatchDrop

CatchDrop Active Member

Thanks Dee, Sonos looks ideal for spotify and radio.

One of those gadgets for bluetooth to my tv soundbar could also work if it exists, i cant see it does.

Prefer to declutter and lose the hifi, unsure how the sonos would compare though.

5. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

The sonos are remarkably pokey, and I have an older unit. They certainly are more than loud enough for most applications. Bottom end (you mentioned) is also a non issue on the play units. In fact ive used subtractive eq on mine as it's a bit much of a trouser flapper.

If you're desperate to use your soundbar, you could do with one of those bluetooth modules. Just google " hdmi audio embedder " Plug the bluetooth box into it and use a hdmi input as your audio source. Probably better off just buying a dedicated unit by the time youve done that though.

6. CatchDrop

CatchDrop Active Member

Thanks Dee

A Sonos Play or the Sonos TV Soundbar perhaps, looking into either

Can possibly also use the £29 gadget into my TV to therefore use existing soundbar. Also not desperate to keep it, it's quite big and with a large seperate subwoofer. Lots of space to gain losing it along with the hifi.

7. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Well-Known Member

I too would recommend the Sonos kit. Works brilliantly, great sound and alexa integration too.