20i Domains

How Good Are You at DIY?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by accelerator, Jul 24, 2021.

1. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

How good are you at DIY, and do you enjoy it? If you had no skills and are now an expert, how did you get there? Personally I am getting slowly better, but I prefer computers to DIY, so I have to work at it, and watch plenty of YouTube videos.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I've never been been scared of doing DIY. I always like to give anything a try before ever contemplating getting a tradesman in.

Over the years I have:
    1. Smashed up our old, thick, ugly concrete patio by hand (sledgehammer), then laid Indian sandstone slab patio.
    2. Removed a non supporting wall in the kitchen
    3. Complete removal of old kitchen units, then built and fitted new units (flat pack).
    4. Cut to size, and fit all new kitchen worktops.
    5. Installed new kitchen sink, including plumbing.
    6. Kitchen tiling.
    7. Built and installed our garden fencing.
    8. Removed and replaced shed roofing (corrugated)
    9. Renovated master bedroom, replacing all floorboards, skirting, coving, wallpaper and painting.
    10. Built flat-pack summerhouse, then painted.
    11. Replaced summerhouse roofing (felt)
    12. Cut to size, and install 2 internal doors.
    13. Replaced all guttering on extension.
    14. Built workbench for shed.
    15. Built shelving units for shed.
    Overall I'm convinced I've saved us 10's of thousands of pounds, and gained many skills along the way.

The things I accept I cannot do:
    1. Anything electrical
    2. Plastering

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

I feel like I could turn my hand to anything. If I don't know how to do something, I will watch a YouTube video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

I'm totally crap at DIY. My wife even has to change the fuse. I have no interest in it at all.

On the other hand I'm totally practical on a cliff face, belayed to the mountain, and bringing someone up on a rope.

I'm only practical about things that interest me. Practical in the kitchen too, because... food.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  6. 3gmedia

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

I like to think i am very good at diy.

Have carried out many renovations/builds in my 36 years of adult life.

Extensions, block/brick work, plastering, barn conversions, house conversions to apartments, damp proofing, full electrical work, full fire alarm systems, plumbing, heating, underfloor heating, ground source heat pumps, gas and oil, telecoms engineer fitting pabx systems around the uk, experienced with carpentry and roofing. Most high profile work was a 3 1/2 year project on Lymm Water Tower -

In the last 18months have been converting our house next door, just building a kitchen extension, footing have been dug out by hand. Have been working on this nearly every weekend, not long to go now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

Can do pretty much anything, even fitted complete central heating system in a house once, only needed British gas to connect up the gas side.
    However the one thing that I have never mastered, as @seemly says, is plastering. I've done small repair jobs but to watch a plaster at work is unbelievable, they make it look so easy but it is far from it. Especially ceilings. I just cannot understand how easy they make it look.

I also removed a non supporting wall in kitchen once, managed to slip a disc, resulting in operation to have disc removed and 18 months off work. Might have been better to have paid someone in that instance!

Youtube is a game changer these days, everything you want. Didn't exist when I did most of my DIY in 70's 80's

• Like Like x 1
  8. 3gmedia

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

Drop me a message if you need some info.:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Exactly! For me, it's a time + result based thing. I know and accept i'm much better off paying a professional to do plastering. It's just not worth me entertaining even the thought of it.

I know nothing about electrics, so I just avoid it for my own safety...

Ouch! Not that age is always a factor, but I did ours when I was in my mid/late 20's. I'd probably break these days...

10. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  11. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

My father was electrician so picked up a lot over the years. I was late 20's when did my back in, was 30+ years ago and no real long lasting effects, just need constantly be aware of limitations

• Like Like x 1
  12. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Yeah a few years ago I learnt siliconing, from the same videos. I find it a satisfying task.