20i Domains

I see GBnews are using their .uk on twitter

Discussion in 'Domain Name News' started by 3gmedia, Jun 13, 2021.

1. MooUn United Kingdom

MooUn Member

I think they used the .uk because the .co.uk wouldn't fit into the space available on-screen without being even teeny-tinier.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with any of this, but the unfortunate reality is that it just results in contortions of reality of other political perspectives too, rather than some grand truth. GBNews is likely to just be the equivalent of click bait, using controversy and misrepresentation of truth for impact and view(er)s. Just like its sad political opposites. It's certainly not an advancement; just the right form of propaganda for those wishing to snort the heady political line of their choice.

4. sigh

sigh Active Member

I disagree. That is like saying the opposite of censorship is censorship of the opposing view. I don't see controversy and misrepresentation in stating facts, regardless of who they 'offend', as opposed to stifling information (the current setup) if it doesn't conform to a certain view. I wonder why so many people are so concerned at *all* information being released and talked candidly about rather than just one side. I guess we'll see. However as said earlier in this thread people have the *choice* to watch or not. But as usual that is not enough - some people don't want anyone else to have a choice that they disagree with.

5. webber

webber Active Member

I only tuned in a few times to see for myself before jumping to any conclusions.
    Every time there were discussions (talk show format) with one or two guests, people I never heard of but at least one was a retired medical doctor, albeit from a field that has nothing to do with epidemiology – the topic at hand.
    One guest was so bad (incoherent speaker, often contradicting himself) that any other broadcaster would have cut the interview short. This was a clear failure of the producer to properly screen the guest.
    Every time I tuned in, everything discussed was opinion, sometimes clearly presented as such. No facts or data were brought or referenced. "A study" or "research" was occasionally brought up but never properly named. These opinions were clearly different to the mainstream, if not diametrically opposing.
    Once I tuned in, there were two guests via video link and, contrary to long-established balance formats, they both held the same views and were supporting each other instead of debating the topic from opposite corners.
    In one show there was a small panel putting questions to a single guest (again, strange unbalanced format) and there were some attempts to be/appear impartial, unlike the moderator who frequently expressed his personal views.
    I never got to see one of their news bulletins (after all it's in their name) so maybe those are different and more balanced and impartial.
    Separate to all this, the quality of their studios, lighting, graphics packages sound mixing, etc, was well bellow any other broadcaster. These could very well be due to a rushed launch and might improve over time.
    I worked in tv broadcast for many years and know a thing or two about these things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Edit: Getting involved with a discussion that I really don't want to (again).

Removing myself from the conversation - again.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  7. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

The idea that GBNews is set to be an oracle of truth compared to the status quo, gifting an avalanche of hidden and unvarnished facts to the British public, may well be their pushed angle, but a cursory watch doesn't really see that bourne out. If anything they are likely to be intentionally rather cavalier with the truth on account that the primary way the channel can or will gain a foothold is through controversy. I'm personally more than fine with them doing so (even if some aren't), but to me it's all as much an angle as any other channel, and they are just as likely to freeze out views and takes that don't match their brand.

Just my take. I appreciate that many will see things differently, so will leave it at that!

• Agree Agree x 1