20i Domains

Invoice issue

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Ben Thomas, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

So, I went to clear a few unpaid invoices, including DAC for the next year. However, I couldn't remember the CVV no. so just guessed it. Of course, it was wrong, it declined. But then immediately afterwards, the charge went through anyway lol.

Of course, the invoices weren't marked as paid, but the money has gone out anyway.

Anybody else had this issue? I've emailed Nominet, but no doubt I won't receive a reply until Monday. But, isn't this a bit of a security risk?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. donton United Kingdom

donton Active Member

I can’t advise on this specific scenario, but on our ecom sites, if the CVV is incorrect but all other card info correct, the money shows as taken and/or authorised, but the charge will usually drop off after 3-5 days because the bank doesn’t honour the transaction.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

Similar on a eCommerce site I run.

This is because technically a payment can be taken without a CVV. It's only a requirement if the payment processor is setup to require it for the payment to process.

So the bank is in theory honouring the payment, but the payment processor doesn't end up processing it. It will drop off your bank statement.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Thanks, both. I assumed as much, but just thought it might be worth a mention as we know Nominet like to cut corners.

6. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

I had issues with billing recently too, so possibly funky things going on over at old Nom.