20i Reseller Hosting

Krystal Hosting

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Ben Thomas, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member Full Member

I have recently gone back to Krystal after spending much of 2018 and Q1,2 and 3 of 2019 running my own servers. I did this because we're changing direction on our business model, from hosting to something else. By the by - they updated their web address today and looks like they have joined the club and switched to the .uk

For those who know Krystal Hosting, you'll know what they stand for and they could easily be the biggest web hosting company out there, but they don't have the morals for it (or the lack of them).

https://krystal.uk

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I've had to deal with them recently with a client and I have to say their support for the client was very reasonable, dispite some issuses with their Onyx wordpress hosting platform blocking communication with Zenstores, which resulted in the client having to be moved from Onyx to a cpanel based managed service. Still they seemed like good guys and didnt have a problem with working with 3rd party provides such as myself and Zenstores.

• Like Like x 1
  4. philliph United Kingdom

philliph Active Member

I had a VPS at Smart Hosting a few years back, Krystal bought them out and everything went utter rubbish. Their Trustpilot went from all 5 stars to all 1 stars overnight. Assuming they sorted themselves out, but I know a lot of people who jumped ship.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ben Thomas

I too started out with Smart Hosting, I agree the service was insanely good. When Krystal bought them, the service did drop slightly (so much that I noticed it) but it has bounced back. @Adam H I've got 2 sites on Onyx and they have had noticeable problems this past month with load issues. I asked for some transparency on the issue, as they don't update the status page with enough info in my opinion and this is what I got back:

Not advertising them by the way, but if anybody does want to sign up let me know I'll get your some money off.

6. Ben Thomas

This is their comment on their switch to .uk

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

Switched to Krystal about a month ago, spot on move, no complaints here.

I imagine quite a number also switched since TSOhost went south, their service went lousy, and i starting having numerous complaints about emails no longer working. I even noticed that my employer's 365 email server was blocking anything from TSO, seemingly Microsoft blocked their servers, so many others were complaining on Twitter too. Since moving to Krystal, all is peaceful again, but noticed that they are still running the emails through the .co.uk, presumably that is much more of an issue to switch over to simply .uk?

8. Ben Thomas

Not much more than a DNS issue, but it would mean some down time whilst it propagates through the internet. Which would definitely cause more problems than it's worth.

9. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

Switched most of my stuff to them now, and also use them for work. Great support, effortless platform setup. Use Onyx, VPS and their cloud solutions.

Was with Fasthosts and TSOHost - both were as bad as each other

10. rharper83 United Kingdom

rharper83 Active Member

Another switcher here from tsohost to Krystal, mainly after shocking service from tsohost whereby they passed on my contact details to another one of their customers to contact me about a domain I had hosted with them... they didn't even seem bothered about the fact that they'd done it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I switched from Fasthosts to Krystal about 3 years ago for hosting and I have been very happy about that decision. Cheaper. Lovely ethos and responsiveness when I've needed it. Great company and decent people in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

The morals have nothing to do with it. Their big "why we are better" thing is because they say they will never sell out to a company like EIG and that they're open and transparent and will never upsell you with anything unnecessary etc.

However, they're just as dodgy/not transparent about their hosting as most other EIG companies.

Their cloud hosting packages have 'unlimited bandwidth' - Yea... right. Let me see your site using TB's of data an hour and them letting you keep the site on a £29.99 package. (Which is actually £35.99 because you have to toggle to see the accurate pricing or find out when you get to payment)

4-hourly automated backups are free on cloud packages but you have to pay £60 for that on dedicated servers. That doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying their servers are bad, that's another topic. However, they are no different to any other host when it comes to pricing, charges etc and the sneaky things they do that the average consumer doesn't understand.

13. Ben Thomas

I agree that the bandwidth thing should be more transparent. But I approached them about a long time ago and they were clear to me (I wish I still had the logs) that the bandwidth is unlimited under fair usage, if I start using terabytes, I'd expect to be limited. On shared servers, it's good to know that there's safeguards like that in place. So IMO, that's a good thing!

14. Adam H

Not knocking the reply as I agree nothing is ever black and white when you grow beyond a small team, but I can understand a couple of their offerings. For comparisons sake we mention bandwidth limits on packages we offer personally, it's not something that needs to be strictly policed. We've been hosting a couple of members of this forum for a year or two now and both of them absolutely smash their bandwidth month in, monthout. Bandwidth is pretty irrelvant providing a server isnt overloaded, the main problems/cost is diskspace and CPU usage. That's typically when you would be asked to upgrade or solve the problem with your site if there was one.

Backups again, makes total sense that there is a price difference for different setups, cloud backups can depend on where the backups are stored, how often full account backups are made, how often incremental backups and database dumps are made, and whether they are stored on the same server or on one or more external backup storage devices. In an instance such as a cloud setup they can probably offer it free because of the margin and amount of customers they can fit on to one instance allows for it.

If you are on a dedicated server, then that dediated service is dedicated to you, its needs its own backup script licence ( such as jetbackups or custom ) and also needs its own external storage allocation unless you'd settle for single point failure by storing backups on the same server, there is no shared cost so you'd take the brunt of it.

Then you've got different costs again depending on the dedicated server being full managed, or non-managed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

The point is more that they out EIG etc as being these big bad companies yet Krystal still do the same things as other companies and EIG.

- Stating a plan is unlimited bandwidth when it actually isn't... is dishonest. (I understand like you say, that usually people hit other limits first as that goes hand in hand with bandwidth generally, but they don't tell the average consumer about these limits either upfront.)

- Stating pricing is from £29.99 for example, when it isn't really for the average person.

- They call out EIG/Godaddy for being a monopolies because they buy out hosts... which gives consumers very little choice on hosts... yet they do the same. (https://krystal.uk/acquisitions) - Obviously they don't do it on the same scale but you can't call out a company for buying out competitors when you do it also.

- The backups thing. I understand your point about licenses for backup on dedicated servers, that's fine. However for 4-hourly backups it's £60 a month, so £720 a year. That's a massive markup on the license cost, when you know the actual price for the backup software. There's nothing inherently bad about massive markups... however when they describe that they started Krystal because a friends father got massively overcharged for something and they felt it's not right to exploit someone else's lack of knowledge to overcharge them...

Don't get me wrong, from what I've heard Krystal is actually a really good host. I've not heard a bad word about them personally. I just feel the company tries to pull off like it's a "good guy/hero" host when on the forward-facing side of things, they're like most other hosts to the 'average' consumer, a bit dishonest.

16. Adam H

Licence costs are mininimal, only a few quid per month per server ( if using an off the shelve backup solution ). Its the data storage that costs that mount up, unless you'd plan to store backups on the same server, which you would effectively wave any responsibility of retaining those backups at that point from your provider. You are paying for the cost of data storage and the up keep and responsibility of that data on 3rd party storage devices or servers.

At "cost" our storage boxes i believe are around £40 per month and we have more than a few for extra redundancy, granted they are not per dedicated instance but that cost also doesnt cater for up keep or responsibilty to the customer. I'd imagine Krstal is a similar senario on a much bigger scale.

17. Simple Simon

Simple Simon Active Member

I used to work on the support team on the weekends before smart hosting got bought out by Krystal.
    Still use them for a lot of my sites and haven't noticed a drop in performance or support really.

18. Ben Thomas

The drop was most noticeable during the switch. It has reverted back to normal now as it has integrated Smart Hosting completely.