Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

La La Land

Discussion in 'Sold Domains' started by texidriver, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texidriver United States

texidriver Active Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. laura

laura Well-Known Member

Bid4It.co.uk £3,000

mmmmmm I am with you...

Regards,

Laura

4. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

It's one of those "lottery ticket" branding domains i.e. one which has a verrrry small chance of being worth anything at all, but if it just happens to exactly match somebody's requirements (i.e. is a WINNING ticket) then the payoff can be ok.

Can't really build a business around such domains any more than you could around buying lottery tickets, though some companies do fairly well by having pockets deep enough to buy up hundreds of thousands of speculative domains and holding out for very high prices on the (relatively very few) sales they close.

5. FC Domains

FC Domains Well-Known Member

There do seem to be a lot of sales at high prices on Sedo, where the domain then just sits there and the buyer does nothing with it, or it's just used for a simple PPC page.

There must be some way that this is making money, but I can't see it.

6. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

The only domain to date i have sold via sedo was then put back on sedo at $200 more.

7. charlie United Kingdom

charlie Well-Known Member

i think this has long been a mystery on sedo - they seem to shift a lot of domains that no one on here knows much about.

personally i've sold a couple for good money on sedo but i also have offers that never go anywhere.

8. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

There are 54,000 web pages containing bid4it!! Looks like an online auction site in other countries that's maybe looking to spread into the UK?

The key maybe to buy domains that are big in other countries in the hope they spill over to the UK?

9. FC Domains

Are the prices that get published a bit similar to the estate agents signs that say SOLD and then in very small print 'subject to contract'?
    Or are they actually completed sales, at that price, with all fees paid and the domain transferred.

10. rob

rob Founding Member

All completed sales AFAIK

11. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

Business fraud/ money laundering?

12. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

Like I said before, someone has developed a brand with bid4it and to buy the UK domain (if they're looking to expand) for 3k seems cheap!

3k is not alot of money to a business and like has been said before the fact it's publicised will be like an advert and an added bonus!

People are too concerned with how much is earnt from ppc ads rather than valuing as an actual business opportunity.

Recently we've bought

debtconsolidation.co.uk
    debtfree.co.uk
    oneadvice.com
    iva.biz
    iva.uk.com
    debtmap.co.uk
    wwwdebtfree.co.uk
    debt-forum.com

and debtconsolidation.co.uk wasn't our most expensive one!

13. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

What it also shows is all the prices everyone gets excited about are only half the story.

There must be loads of purchases that never get onto the domain sales lists!

It amazes me that people think the prices are bogus, subject to contract etc. Prime retail space is worth a fortune!

14. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Yes, it's easy enough to have a standard instruction put in place that Sedo NEVER publish details of one's own sales. Just ask them. I'm sure many people must take advantage of that.

15. texidriver United States

texidriver Active Member

16. FC Domains

Smoke, mirrors, snake oil and wolf tickets.

I mostly see domain names being traded back and forth, for unlikely sums of money, but not actually being used by end users. So long as this continues people will treat the trade with suspicion and it's a bubble waiting to burst.

17. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Looking at my last 5 sales, 3 buyers are using the generic names to point to targeted "mini-sites" within their existing business sites i.e. a series of pages on the exact topic of the domain, 1 has created a brand new site around the name and one hasn't got around to doing anything yet (but we are talking only a matter of a few weeks).

Perhaps it's only speculators selling to other speculators who are willing to have their sales appear on Sedo, and that's why it looks like nothing much is happening to the domains. Those selling to end users may be staying under the radar (from experience, most end user buyers would run a mile if they thought the specifics of their purchase would be made public).

18. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

19. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

20. paymatters United Kingdom

paymatters Active Member

It's actually says huntforit in the article! That's the problem with for or 4 always need both! Anyone got bidforit!

21. texidriver United States

texidriver Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.