20i Domains

Looking to buy a NN.co.uk domain and need advice

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Stu Holly, Jan 29, 2021.

1. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Ironic really (this is just one example I don't want to waste to much of my time on this) of how useless the data is on domainsaleshistory.uk because gold .co.uk data is incomplete and it was sold through here first and then somewhere else (I know because I was bidding on it when it first came up for sale) there are countless other examples so data is incomplete for many important sales, might as well stick all that data in notepad text file and spend some more time gardening.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

From what I have found, gold.co.uk was originally sold in 2011 as a package deal, so I wouldn't be able to define a sale price specific to that domain.

https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/news/64227/gold-co-uk-domain-packages-sold-for-400k/

But you're correct. The entire sales data is incomplete. I don't include original registration fees, dates, etc. Do you know why? Because it doesn't really matter. It's just a website I build in my spare time.

Find it useful? Great, I'm pleased!

Hate it, and want to be a dick about it? That's fine. You can do that too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

You are obviously entitled to your opinion. But from what I can see, it is not of the general community.

When I am scoping out a domain that has been sold once or even twice, It helps me decide my starting offer and top end. I use it several times per week to look at past sales if I am in researching mode. It is one of the biggest tools in my tool box. I'd even subscribe to such a resource.

I am really struggling to understand your arguments against actual raw sales data when at the same time you are promoting a domain estimation bot. I'd prefer cold hard factual data all day long vs something that is basically made up by an algorithm. In my opinion, sites like estibot are notoriously used by newbies to domain investing and definitely should not be taken seriously. Imagine a stock trader that does not make use of historic data to influence their trading.

You knew exactly by using your choice of words against someone's personal project would only set out to provoke and attack on a personal level. You could have said what you wanted to say in a constructive, civil and friendly way.

But... Lets all agree to disagree and not derail the OP's thread any longer...

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  5. Stewart United Kingdom

Stewart Active Member

I have a NN.org.uk for sale less than £2000. Pm if interested.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. WalkinDude United Kingdom

WalkinDude Well-Known Member

Value to buyer is a function of how confident you are of your intended project.
    Value to seller is what can I do with the money I get for the domain.

This is the final point after all the usual considerations. Its actually incredibly difficult to 'overpay' for a domain name. If you pay and project fails doesn't mean you overpaid for the domain, doesn't mean it's the domain's fault, it means project failed. If project succeeds it doesn't mean you underpaid for the domain, it just means the project succeeded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Can I just say @seemly, your new website is looking pretty sick. I especially love the statistical analysis and trends such as sales past 7 days vs 7 days previous etc.

Also - on-topic: I think JMI has a point, but I also think previous sales are especially relevant to domain names that have already sold once before. But I think the "human" can't be measured with previous sales, trends or statistics. Someone may have bought a domain name for a company, or for their daughter or for their dog ... (guilty :D).

• Like Like x 1
  8. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ben. I appreciate that.
    It will always be a work in progress when I get the motivation or desire.

Oh, for sure! I never argued that the site or the data is anything other than historical fact.

The price of a domain can be due to either a business or an emotive decision, but the sale price is still written in stone, and in that transaction the domain was decided to be worth £x.

Use that information as part of your evaluation tool set, or don't. Use the site to keep up to date with the latest published UK domain sales, or don't. It makes no odds to me.

I'm not charging for access to the data, so it's not as if I'm even benefiting from its existence. I'm not even spamming visitors with adverts or sponsorship.

I originally built it for me and my interests in UK domain sales. I just shared it in case others found it as interesting as me. It's clear that Julian doesn't find it interesting, but he seems to think I give a shit. :)

• Agree Agree x 1