20i Domains

Message from the Nominet Board

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Feb 9, 2021.

1. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Any one best mates with UK2, Iomart or any of the foreign owned hosting/registration companies? Might be good timing for another of the bigger members to add their %ge just to keep things moving along...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. webber

webber Active Member

May not be possible due to contract of employment t&c.
    But changing the EGM (if possible) or an additional EGM that would clarify that the Sir Michael Lyons and Axel Pawlik appointment would be an interim position should make it valid.

4. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Sorry I don't understand. The membership can vote to sake the current board at any point but a new board cannot be created until periodical elections take place.
    Whoever come up with this nonsensical process? BTW when is the next election?

5. isurveyor United Kingdom

isurveyor Active Member

So if we go forward with the egm and resolution 1 is passed, would the board members affected go instantly? If so surely those remaining at nominet will then have to get those positions filled ASAP. If the replacements cannot take their posts without a vote. Then we go forward with the egm and get nominet to arrange a vote as soon as possible? Yes it is not ideal to lose the strategic leadership team, but without over simplifying too much, it would enable Nominet to concentrate on business as usual, concentrating on the .UK rather than the other diversifications. When the new leadership team is formed they can look at divesting from the non core business again working closer with members and concentrating on. Uk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Johnp United Kingdom

Johnp Active Member

Obviously the plan of the current board is to fight the EGM resolution and by detaching motion 2 it gives them a plan which has worked before. It will all be about FUD of a 'bunch of loony fringe members about to mount a coup' and no-one run to the place once they have been voted out and the 'enormous risk' to the .uk internet domain space and the functioning of e-commerce. Expect an appeal to the sensibilities amongst the wider membership with the implicit threat of asking the UK government to intervene as they have done before. The 16 odd percentage voting rights currently supporting this will be spun as a minority fringe supporting this EGM.

It is all very sad and I hope the current board feel proud of themselves as to the depths they have sunk to ignore the wider truth. I am sure they or their helpers are reading all these posts so it might be more prudent for us all not to articulate too much about possible ways forward.

JohnP

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member

Wonder who gave them this legal opinion? Was it the same bunch who allowed them to introduce .uk without consulting existing registrants? - do you remember they cited the DPA and said they had been told it could be considered spam to send an email to existing registrants. Even though many of those registrants are now disadvantaged and poorer because of nominet's actions. Well their luxury ship is sinking now and support will only continue to grow for their removal asap.

8. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

[edited out]

(Deleted the comment because I changed my mind - there's a better approach, but not discussing it on public board, which as johnp said, is monitored by Nominet)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  9. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

If anything, this feels like it's designed to decrease momentum and morale. We need to double down on efforts of PublicBenefit.uk now. Simon should pop his head in here and have a discussion with us.

Perhaps Anne should step down.

10. webber

webber Active Member

Good luck reaching her. Like most NEDs, once elected they vanish.
    I tried contacting her a couple of weeks ago, but no response at all

11. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

I had a few conversations with her on LinkedIn last year, perhaps I'll reach out to her. From what you say though, it's probably unlikely she will take one for the team now that she's a "high flyer".

12. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

Poor Anne still doesn't grasp it. None of them have been able to grasp it and that's worrying. It's not that they should have been doing things better, it's that they shouldn't have been doing certain things at all.

How hard is this to comprehend?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

Mark is doing a bit of a King Canute.

Because he is inviting a nuclear option.

14. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

[meanwhile, bumping up the old scoreboard...]

351 Nominet members
    have now called for an EGM, and 1,367,599 known votes have been pledged so far.

The numbers keep on growing, because the Nominet Board and Executive have lost the TRUST of members, and this has become a vote of NO CONFIDENCE which no last-minute window dressing or promises is really going to reverse.

And the more the Board ignores the wishes of the Members, the deeper the hole they are digging for themselves - it just persuades more people to sign up.

They do understand we have the legal power to remove the whole lot of them?

This EGM is the outcome of problems that go back many years, calling into question the whole direction of the company.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

When I stood for the non-exec director position a few years ago, by the time I'd been through the whole process, I got the feeling that the position these days was really just a token position to hand out to one of the big registrars staff as a reward and excuse for jollies as long as you agreed to what the board wanted to do. I guess that's how they got into this situation by bringing in compliant people onto the board instead of people who'd ask questions.

A domain registry looks after the domain lists, not playing with cars, IOT or other ventures. Do any other country's domain registries venture into these other areas or is it just Nominet?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

They have received 2 motions to be put to members at an EGM. If they board doesn't put them before members then they have to prove that they were right not to, otherwise they could all be banned as Directors. The whole thing flips to one of them proving their innocence.

If I was on that board, I'd be urgently seeking my own legal advice asap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

https://www.nominet.uk/egm/

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

So the board have sent out a false (Without 2nd Resolution) EGM notice?

The independent QC never once said that the 2nd resolution could not be put to members as far as I can see.

It's the Chairman playing games. The Chairman has chosen not to put a path forward for Nominet on the EGM. That's disgraceful, all involved in that should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

My opinions:

"Nominet delivers services depended on... That work is at risk." FALSEHOOD and SCARE TACTIC.

"Removes half the board, without a workable alternative." FALSEHOOD and SCARE TACTIC. There IS a workable alternative.

"Confidence in Nominet and .UK, built over 25 years, is threatened." NO, members have lost confidence already in this leadership. The TRUST is gone.

"The proposed resolution would create instability at the heart of .UK." Why? Don't you have confidence in your workforce unless the great 'YOU' are in charge?

"The proposed resolution would make it harder to retain and recruit staff." SCARE TACTIC.

"We've listened to members..." RISIBLE. That's precisely what you are not doing. You are defying them.

"Drastic action unnecessary." Isn't that for members to decide? It may seem drastic to YOU with its existential threat to your disproportionate pay.

"Launching a registry advisory council." No, imposing it. Why not let members decide how they want to be represented? For example at the EGM...

"Improving membership engagement." RISIBLE again. You are defying the membership. You are trying to save yourselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fred Steven Cyprus

Fred Steven Member

I presume if a director has been ousted from a company by an EGM that is pretty much your career over with ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. webber

webber Active Member

Which is why it would make sense to concede and have a smooth and planned transition which will not look as you've been handed your P45 for failing to do your job

• Agree Agree x 2