Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Multiple C Class IP Host

Discussion in 'Hosting' started by Pete99, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete99

Pete99 Member

Can anyone recommend a host where you can host multiple websites, each on
    a different C Class IP address?

For example 10 websites hosted on 10 different IP addresses.

Thanks. :)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. jimm United Kingdom

jimm Active Member

You do know CIDR has been used since 1993?

But technicalities aside, why do you need to use individual IPs for your sites?

4. Pete99

Pete99 Member

No, but I just read about it here.

For SEO purposes, I'd prefer not to have multiple sites on the same IP, in case it leaves a footprint.

5. DarrenTSO United Kingdom

DarrenTSO Active Member

Classless based routing means that inspecting the third octet of an IP address tells you very little about where or how it is hosted.

Google, being an internet based company are aware of CIDR, and as such you would be better to host your sites with separate hosting providers - who will have their own network (AS#) and nameservers.

Whether or not there is any value to doing the above is a point of much contention. If you are creating sites that just link to each other, Google's web spam team will almost certainly cotton on eventually.

6. Pete99

Pete99 Member

Sounds good, and this would leave less of a footprint (but hosting 10 different sites each with a different host may be an admin. nightmare).

The sites will not be linked to each other.

7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

If there's no link, why the concern over IP? I can understand the need for different IP's if you intend to build link networks.

8. Pete99

Pete99 Member

It's for a blog network, which will not be linked. I am creating this as part of an experiment/test.

If the blogs are on the same IP address and/or are linked, it will leave a footprint for search engines.

9. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Pete I'm yet to find a host which does what you are describing - Krystal (afaik) can offer 2/3

The only way I've gotten round it is to have a central system which powers sites remotley - I use lots of different hosts/hosting accounts

10. Pete99

Pete99 Member

Thanks Nick.

I know people who have used anything from seohosting/com (part of Hostgator) to cclassiphosting/com, with v. mixed reviews.

Any recommendations/good experiences welcome!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  11. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

Still don't understand the need if the sites are not linked unless you plan to link in the future.

Our hosting servers sit within 4 class C's, so we're not much help on this occasion. Might be worth asking some of the bigger players if they would do you accounts over a range of their older and newer servers, this would get you a range of IP's as IP's generally tend to be allocated to servers in blocks and new ranges requested over time.

I did some work for a client and I think they were using hostgator (I think - from memory), this had the facility to select which server you created an account on so you could create by location rather than IP range (although I suspect different locations would have locally issued IP ranges to make routing tables easier to manage.) The only issue I had with this was that the WHM API was not exposed so you had to use their tools for account management.

12. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

I completely agree - don't abuse the system (too much interlinking same IP) and worst case keep same IP links on-topic & under say 10, you'll be fine and save hassle/£

13. Pete99

Pete99 Member

As mentioned, the sites will not be interlinked (i.e. not linked to each other), but used for an SEO experiment.

Yes, I've already done this; some hosts have custom hosting packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.