20i Domains

My first published fiction for nearly 20 years...

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Edwin, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I'm really excited that my short story is going to be published in the scifi anthology "Existence is Elsewhen" which is available to pre-order now, and will come out in ebook form on 18 March (25 March for the dead tree version)

http://elsewhen.alnpetepress.co.uk/index.php/catalogue/title/existence-is-elsewhen/

It's the first thing I've had "officially" published since 1996-1997 (and most of that was non-fiction for a newspaper in Tokyo)

Any other aspiring scribes around?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Good luck with this.

I quite like writing but it always seems to be the last thing on my To Do list.

4. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

Congratulations! I will buy and read with interest.

As for me, some journalist work (mostly CD / film reviews for a paper), once wrote a novel that got publishers excited but became too lazy / bored to re-edit, etc. A few poems scattered over anthologies here and there, but for the most part I love reading what others have done rather than try to do it myself!

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Brill. Thank you. Love some feedback when the time comes...

Looking only at the published stuff, I had about a dozen features about stuff to do in Tokyo ("Rainy Days", "Halloween", "For Free", that kind of thing), website reviews (did a few hundred of these back around 1996 - very short capsule stuff, that was translated and published in Japanese), some flash fiction (in a magazine for Japanese learners of English, of all the inappropriate venues), a column about aspects of life in Britain (ditto), plus a couple of poems and a short story back in uni days.

And now this :)

On the work very much in progress front, I've got bits of 6 or 7 novels on the go, but only in the sense that "a steering wheel is a bit of a car" i.e. there's very little to most of them so far. Some have seen movement this year, others this millennium...

6. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Ambrosia? Named after the Devon custard I presume? ;-)

Good luck with it and if you happen to do an audio book version let us know.

7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Just to mention that the ebook edition has gone "live"...

8. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

Good luck

Good luck just got the e-book from Amazon

Top of my reading list on my Easter break

Stephen

9. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

cheers for reminder - i'll pick up from one of the sites with it on offer and have a read soonest!

10. redbird United Kingdom

redbird Well-Known Member

I bought from Amazon (kindle version) today. Tried to do it when you first posted it but wouldn't let me do pre orders with a gift card balance, so had to wait until today as pointless paying by card when I have a gift balance.

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Cool. I'm working through my own copy as I'd not seen anyone else's story until now...

12. looks United Kingdom

looks Active Member

Well done Edwin, will buy and let you know what i thought :)

13. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

Hi - just found enough space in the weekend to read your story, Edwin. For my £3 or so I will be going back and reading the rest.

In the mean time, well done squire - really interesting story with a free flowing style that makes it a joy to read. I quite liked a few phrases, but am reluctant to reveal spoilers.

On that note, how do I put this - I didn't see your end coming, but I am quite a fan of the Sci-Fi masterpiece with a similar ending that you've either accidentally echoed or given a very smart update to :)

14. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Thanks, and I appreciate you keeping your comment spoiler-free :)

15. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

Was it that the band of geeks formed an alliance called Corn-A to battle the evil villainous rulers at Inet-Nom?
    Did they combine their voting power to throw out previous Corn-A member called Destructible, who went to the darkside after being elected into Inet-nom, to act on Corn-A's behalf?
    Then, in the final scenes, did Ed Win (unlikely hero name I know) battle the forces of Couk and its little brother called Uk? Everytime Ed lands a punch, did coins come flying out in a manner like 'Sonic The Hedgehog' with Inet-noms executive crawling around on their hands and knees collecting up as many as they possibly can?

Ok, sorry, it's Monday afternoon and I'm BORED :)

All names, stories and locations are totally made up, and have no representation to the real life world :)

16. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

no, sorry, i think i must have missed those scenes. was there a director's cut or special edition you saw? :grin:

17. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

18. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member