20i Domains

New domain expiry process and droplists for .uk

Discussion in 'Nominet Tag Holders' started by webber, Jun 14, 2022.

1. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Again, i may just not be getting this, but the traceroute from Australia is gonna be zipping around all over the place, through many routes,compounding errors and timing. Thats different to having a server in the same building isnt it ??

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. dee

okay. I guess im not understanding the tech side. Guess thats a good thing. Although also a good reason to have multiple tags with different settings maybe .. possibly ?

4. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

If you know the time it takes to get from point A to point B then you can just send the request that much ahead of time.

5. webber

webber Active Member

Depends how many hops your route takes. You could be plugged into a tier1 network in Australia and be just a few hops away, albeit still 200ms latency. I wouldn't recommend it, but it could/should work :)

6. dee

But doesn't change more dramatically every time the further away you are ? If your one hop its a lot more consistent

I know you guys are a lot more capabe than me on the programming side. I'll get my coat.

7. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Can do I guess but thats an extreme example. It would still be good to be close as possible I guess. In the real world the difference from Mythic Beasts or Digital Ocean may be only 1ms or less so you could tweak it based on your own specifics at that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

This is (partly) why I've relinquished my membership this year.

I heard Netwise House is a good place to get into. Krystal Hosting should be a good shout.

9. JamesTuplin Germany

JamesTuplin Active Member

But we didn't overwhelming support drop lists with EXACT drop times meaning complete re-writes to drop catching systems. I cannot ever remember agreeing to this, nor would I ever have agreed to it. I cannot see how publishing exact drop times is going to make this situation better for anyone. Unless Nominet can tell me how greater competition (more people catching domains) is better for my business. There's more incentive now than ever to become a member and collude.

Perhaps if more time had been spent to clarify collusion. Is it:

• 1 member with multiple sub members (family members, friends, milkman) catching domains to benefit a single person?
    • Public drop catchers using your DAC allowance to query domains for others without your permission?
    • Forced to sell domain(s). Sign up for platform 123, but you cannot keep the domain, you must sell it?
    And then re-write the terms and conditions with clearly defined repercussions to deter others from doing so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  10. Ben Thomas

The only voices I hear that are happy with anything Nominet is doing currently, have some affiliation with Nominet. It's a sh*t show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. webber

webber Active Member

Maybe you didn't or you don't remember, but 89% of respondents did.
    If you have any issues with how that consultation was conducted, let Nominet know.
    I didn't post about this here to start a heated discussion or to defend Nominet, I just wanted to inform those who maybe didn't receive the notification because they opted out of email communication from Nominet.
    I highly recommend you enable those because Nominet will not knock on your door to ask for your opinion. You will get an email like everyone else, if you haven't opt out. GDPR and all...

Personally I think this new system will actually work in your favour and anyone who catches a large number of domains each day. You will no longer have to split your fixed daily quota over the number of domains you wish to catch. You should have an equal change at catching a highly disputed domain AND 20 or 30 undisputed SEO/traffic domains.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ben Thomas

Forgive me if this is obvious, but how will 20/30 SEO domains be undisputed? The only way we'd be looking at winning anything here is if several high-value names drop at the same minute. How often will that happen? Otherwise Mr Fast with 90 Nominet tags at 2:15 will get LL.co.uk and at 2:16 will get reallygoodseodomain.co.uk etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JamesTuplin Germany

Like: https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/threads/nominet-uk-rdap.173119/ you mean?

Sounds like a typical Nominet response. Im sorry. I know you are doing your best here @webber and to be fair I commend you for being the only person to keep everyone updated, but I feel like we have been sold down the river. Time will prove that I am right.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. JamesTuplin Germany

Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to shake themselves silly and sit the corner of the room, alone.

15. Ben Thomas

It just seems to me that Nominet has gone "Hmmm, look at this mini-economy pie our members have created. Let's get our fingers stuck into that."

16. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  17. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

For me, the issue has always been less about what drop system is used and more about Nominet's inability or unwillingness to enforce its own rules.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Ben Thomas

That's because they only care about one thing. And usually, enforcing their own policies actually isn't what suits them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rob

rob Founding Member

Would agree with this, and it has been an historical issue that undermines confidence in what Nom do. If the argument against it is that it is perception only, then communication is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. JamesTuplin Germany

The roundtable was from the end of 2021 and my opinion hasn’t changed since then. I would have expected a similar roundtable before a final decision was made. Given UKRAC minutes are behind a login and more often than not have a summary of what has been discussed rather than the detail, I don’t see how all members could have ever been properly informed.