Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet forms

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by murph, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

I am just a little :confused: about the process! I read Admin's useful thread on the selling a .co.uk on sedo, but just needed clarification...

Is it just a case of sending the form (1 page) to Nominet with the relevant buyers name/address and my cc details for payment? Is that it?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member6

retired_member6 Banned

You email or phone nominet for the form, they send the form. It's A3 folded, you fill out your details with cover letter, then send it to the buyer, they fill out their details with cover letter, then send it to Nominet, then they do the rest.

4. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Thanks Lee. I actually downloaded the remittence advice form, and thought that was it!! Nothings ever that easy! :rolleyes:

Ok i understand...it is a little confusing on the nominet site, as it sounds like each party has to fill out a seperate transfer form...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  5. retired_member11

retired_member11 Retired Member

Fax page one and two to the seller. They complete and sign and fax back to you with confirmatory letter. You complete and sign page three and four. Fax all four pages, two confirmatory letters and remittance form to 01865 332288. Then phone to check that all seven pages of the fax have been received. Wait two working days, then check whois for completion of transfer , then contact existing Tag holder and politely request that they move domain to Tag of your choice. If they refuse, which happened to me this week, use words like "obstructive" and "unreasonable" and point out that as each day passes without the change loss of revenue is being incurred by your business. Once Tag has changed use 'modify' operation to change nameservers.

6. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Great explanation, thanks! Only problem with this buyer...no fax!!!

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Do Nominet release their transfer forms to the buyer? I never thought of this but surely that's a security risk? (and the whole point of their paper based system is apparently for better security over transfers).

Do they accept faxed forms?

8. retired_member11

Yes Nominet accepts faxed transfer forms and confirmatory letters. I then file away the originals somewhere safe.

Interesting point about Nominet sending transfer forms to buyers. Nominet will do this and without ever informing the registrant that a transfer form has been requested by another party. I sometimes do this myself in anticipation that a registrant will agree to sell to me (I make them an offer they can't refuse- gulp). It does raise the possibility of fraud and so I personally always keep an eye on my registrations, although nothing has ever happened...as yet.

I did suggest to Nominet that they send an auto email to the registrant when a transfer form is issued to another party but they were not enthusiastic about the idea.

9. meinthecorner

meinthecorner Active Member

On the Sedo instructions I received for a domain I was getting for my employers they stated that you could send the forms by Fax, however, Nominets instructions only say post, nothing about faxing a form.

After going through this process a few months back, I cant understand why this whole process can't be done by a online key system. Surely something could be developed based on a secure key system that both the buyer and seller must enter to transfer the domain?

10. retired_member11

Scan/ email?

No fax is troublesome. I've never come across that so far.

11. murph United Kingdom

murph Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! Anyway, the scan/email option is good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.