Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Ben Thomas, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Interesting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

Got the same email yesterday, where it says, We have completed some analysis and note that historically you have renewed .UK domains on the day of cancellation, I took that that to mean me personally, as they said, you.

I knew that couldn't be correct as I usually renew mine way before they're due to drop, and wondered what their analysis was, that came to that conclusion.

I guess everyone got the same email?

4. webber

webber Active Member

No, not everyone.
    I have occasionally renewed domains the day before the drop or even on the day of the drop.
    Despite this, I did not receive this notice. Clearly their "analysis" was flawed.

But most importantly, with such a big change you would expect a wider/public announcement.
    Because of this, I had to dropcatch my own domains yesterday.

It's worth noting that not only will you not be able to renew domains on the day of cancellation, but also the day before.
    I was trying to renew mine the evening before the drop and was not able to.
    If you look at the domains due to drop, they will have the following EPP codes:
    serverHold, serverRenewProhibited, serverTransferProhibited, serverUpdateProhibited

The message they send out was reactionary and definitely not proactively informing registrars of this change. It followed complaints, including from myself, of the undocumented behaviour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  5. ukbackorder

ukbackorder Active Member ukbackorder.com
    Bronze Member

I got this as well. I assume it applies to the co,org,me as well. Does this mean we won't have to waste quota chasing a domain that isn't going to drop anymore or will they still allow people to place a renew request without credit and tie up the domain? We need a system where a domain that is due to drop on a day DOES drop on that day.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

It just makes sense to know exactly which domains are actually going to drop. A 5-day Pending Delete period where the names are de-tagged or at any right can't be renewed would just seem the commonsense way to go with the present system, and I think they will introduce this either with / or in follow up to Droplists, which are under discussion at the moment.

7. ukbackorder

ukbackorder Active Member ukbackorder.com
    Bronze Member

baq.uk just got renewed today and was supposed to drop. So much for that. Either a) you *can* renew on drop day or b) you can still have a renew 'pending'.

8. webber

webber Active Member

I suspect this is transitioning period.
    Because of their failure to properly announce the change and give members time to adjust, they are probably still allowing people to call nominet and have the serverRenewProhibited removed from their domains in order to allow them to renew.
    This is what happened to me in those first few days after this came into force: I got on the live chat, the issue was escalated and they removed the epp codes and I was able to renew.
    So maybe they will continue to allow this for a period of time

9. impact

impact Active Member

And so they should they gave no warning nominet just want to always cause issues leave alone something they shouldn't be changing !

10. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member

Yep got the same email.

Wonder if Nom is following the same path as the current government. This goes something like :

(Soft) release some totally crap new "order/policy/law/way of being"
    See how many people negatively react to it
    Discuss internally/privately whether or not "said how many people" constitute a problem
    Rollback or bugger on...

Shower of $hit.

I wish Governments, Quangos (of which we should have very few) , Groups, Unions la la la ... would just use some common sense and discuss, plan, revise and then make changes based on the general consensus... it really isn't that difficult...

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

Yup. It looks like they're readying the domains to drop at around 10pm the day before they should expire.

I renewed a bunch that should should expire tomorrow at 2pm this afternoon and they went through fine. I did another bunch just before 10pm and again everything was ok. Come 10:15 al I get is -

Not renewed for Reason: V194 Operation blocked by Nominet process.

This seems to mean that the domain is in limbo. Not yet 'scheduled for deletion' but past 'domain expired'. If you give them a buzz they will remove the block and apparently other have run into this. Just thought I'd add this info in case you get the same message and wonder what the hell is going on!