20i Domains

Notice of EGM — we need your help to secure a stable future for Nominet

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Pedigree, Feb 22, 2021.

1. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

If that's what they're telling members, then I hope they can support it with facts.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

They're gambling on being able to support it with facts after the vote.

4. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

"But guys, we at Nominet welcome democracy... and don't worry, I will make sure everything is sorted out."

democracy_palpatine.jpg

5. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

But the Force was with a man who fought for freedom...

democracy_blackler.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

This issue was raised by Simon Blackler / Public Benefit today in an email to Mark Wood, the present Nominet Chair:

"At this juncture, I would be grateful if you could confirm the following important points of protocol: (1) That it is not appropriate for the Board to encourage or allow Nominet’s Customer Support Team to make misleading statements to members about the success of its own campaign to defeat the resolution;"

The rest of his message is worth reading as well.

7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Whilst I'm in support of two key changes; be that removal of existing board members that have shown contempt for members and practice; plus the removal of contributions for charities which ultimately has meant a more profitable Nominet for its board of directors (wages and bonuses!!!!!). I have raised a point of contention to Krystal but had no reply, and that is if Michael Lyons and Axel Pawlik were to take up their position on the board, exactly what numeration would they receive for their 12 month contract? All it states is "A capped annual fee in line with the daily rate for corporate advisers" which to be honest, could be any amount. I can't recall how much Russell Haworth is paid, but if ML and AP see the same return for their respective positions, that would be one of my main reasons to vote diminished. I'm sure I'm just looking at it wrong, as I've not fully reviewed it all yet, but the lack of reply from Krystal hasn't helped.

8. xdnet

xdnet Member

I took the liberty of pinging Simon about this, he doesn't seem to have got your message but suggested getting in contact via contact [at] publicbenefit.uk ;) - He's very open with taking the time to talk so I'm sure he'll be happy to have a chat about any queries.

Quick google, if it's inline with Glassdoor, it'd be less than 1/10th what the CEO is currently paid though: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/corporate-advisor-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm

Even if it went back to the previous CEOs salary it'd be less than half what the current CEO is earning...

• Like Like x 1
  9. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

Even if it was the same salary, the No Bonuses clause would still amount to a significant saving.

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Simon has replied. He doesn't know, but would base it on Nominet's typical day rate for corporate advisors, so we might be looking at £360k a year. As said, without bonuses, that would be a significant saving regardless.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Jiblob United Kingdom

Jiblob Active Member

I've had emails from CES in the past, but I haven't received the email about the current vote. I had a call today from Nominet asking me to vote. They didn't try to persuade me either way to be honest.

12. webber

webber Active Member

Look for an email from: "takepart@cesvotes.com"
    Subject: "Notice of EGM — we need your help to secure a stable future for Nominet"

Towards the bottom of that email you will find a How to Vote section with a personalised link that will allow you to vote:
    https://secure.cesvotes.com/V3-1-0/nominetEGM21/en/login

You may choose "the person named below" and enter "Simon Blackler" if you don't trust the Chair to vote YES on your behalf. Should look like this: View attachment 3186

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Jiblob United Kingdom

Jiblob Active Member

Thank you so much. I was unable to find the email but I have been able to request the voting details on that page by clicking "Don't know your Security Code?".

After entering my details I was sent an email with the correct details so that I can cast my vote.

Nominet asked me today if I had received the email and I said yes after checking my emails whilst on the phone because I found the Nominet email, cause I didn't fully understand from what they said that it should have originated from someone other than Nominet. I saw the general EGM email from Nominet but not CESvotes and I said I had received it.

I wonder how many people didn't get the email :eek:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  14. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

I have an email, but the link just takes me to this page: https://secure.cesvotes.com/vbi_help.html?aspxerrorpath=/V3-0-0/nominet2020/en/home.

I didn't choose a proxy though, I intend to attend. Does that make a difference?

Edit: Nevermind, the emails with links to vote are from January. The only one I've had for the EGM has a link to register to attend, which I've done. I'm guessing that means I won't get a separate mail asking for my vote?

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  15. webber

webber Active Member

Voting on the day is possible, but there's a risk of technical problems, credentials not working, or simply forgetting about the EGM.
    Appointing a proxy now guarantees the vote is cast. You can still attend the egm

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

Can a proxy still be nominated if one wasn't selected during registration?

17. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Who would chair the EGM? In the event of the chair being removed by the end of the EGM?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  18. cav United Kingdom

cav Active Member

If most of the top 10 abstain (like Google), how does that affect the 50% required? Is it 50% of those that actually vote??

19. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

Yes of those who vote, be that by proxy or on the day.

Turnout for past AGMs has been quite low, I think around 8-10% typically, so for the Public Benefit campaign to have the backing of nearly 20% is substantial.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Does anyone know...

Who delivers the result on the day?
    CES or Nominet?

Does any party have insight into the voting before the voting period is closed?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  21. webber

webber Active Member

• Like Like x 1