20i Domains

Notice of EGM — we need your help to secure a stable future for Nominet

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Pedigree, Feb 22, 2021.

1. cav United Kingdom

cav Active Member

On publicbenefit, the number of domains on my tag is understated by 35. Is anyone else's incorrect? Will this effect the number of my votes??

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

The data is "paid-for domains" based for the voting rights for last year's AGM, which was at midday on the 21st August 2020. See my other post regarding billing and expired domains:
    https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/threads/maximise-your-voting-rights.171177/

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Arguably worked in our favour, really. I know it did mine. In Aug 2020 my portfolio was probably still over 250 domains. Currently it’s just under 150 I think.

5. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

£360k is still a shockingly high figure.

6. Jiblob United Kingdom

Jiblob Active Member

That's the last email that I have from them too. This concerns me, how many others didn't get the email??

7. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

Great summary of reasons why one company - Big Wet Fish Hosting - is voting YES for Resolution 1, part of a longer and really fair article they've published on their site. The whole of it (of which the section below is a part) is worth reading (click on the small moving button beneath the coffee cup handle!). Sums up why 372 members have now signed up to vote YES:

"Why have we decided to vote yes?

If you had called me two weeks ago I would have told you that as a company we generally do not get involved in politics surrounding the governance of UK domain names but having done a lot of research we changed our minds and feel this campaign is strong and worth our voting YES. Some of the many reasons are listed below:

• We felt the letter from Nominet after the campaign was started was too little too late. Members forums that have been stopped in recent times and a drastic reduction in donations for the Public Benefit element of Nominet are two examples. We are left wondering had this Public Benefit Campaign not happened would the concessions from the Board have happened? We suspect not…
    • Nominet in the official voting website state VOTE NO with no reference to the other side of the argument. They make no reference to the significant number of members who feel differently or that you can appoint another proxy other than the chair to vote on your behalf. We have appointed Simon Blackler the CEO of Krystal Hosting as our proxy to vote Yes on our behalf at the EGM.
    • We’re all for fair elections and will accept the result but you do not walk into a Polling Station at the General Election to be told Vote Conservatives inside the polling station! Campaigning takes place outside the polling station. The same principle should be true here. If you think about it logging into the official Civica Election Services Voting Portal to be presented with VOTE NO video on the front page when there is not even one single link to the Public Benefit Campaign website is just wrong on all levels.
    • Nominet have sent letters, emails and made phone calls in an effort to tell us why they feel we should vote no. They are entitled to do that but there no reference to the fact there are a growing number of members who feel differently. Their communication is very biased and suggest the company faces a threat to its independence if we vote yes.
    • Nominet sent the Public Benefit campaign Member addresses in paper format (how petty is that?) and we welcomed receiving a letter telling the other side of the story. From what we believe they did not send phone numbers or email addresses. Yet they are using the same member database to phone and email members with their side of the story suggesting we vote no. That’s not fair in our view. If they only provided postal addresses to the Public Benefit Campaign they should only have used Royal Mail to communicate with members. We have received 2 phone calls to date from Nominet HQ in Oxford.
    • Nominet are spending money on Google Adverts. What a waste of money telling members to vote no. If you Google ‘Nominet EGM’ that advert appears at the top of the page. From a member lead company who are supposed to invest their profits for Public Benefit this is an absolute waste of cash.
    • Despite rules that clearly must allow this to happen, we do not feel that it is right for the Chair of the Board who is subject to the resolution to remove him from office should chair this EGM and to ask people to allow him to vote on their behalf. That’s not right surely? We’re not suggesting in any way the Chair would do anything underhand but common sense would suggest if you are the subject of the vote to remove you then you do not chair that same meeting and ask members to allow you to be their proxy.
    • Nominet claim if the board members are removed the company will not be stable. They fail to mention that their ISO 22301:2019 certification requires them to have robust continuity plans in place. Public Benefit Campaign have nominated 2 people with immense experience who they want put on the board immediately following the vote until an AGM can be called to make a permanent decision.
    I would invite you to browse all websites at the top of this blog post to get both sites of the story and we hope that our small number of votes combined with the hundreds of other members who have chosen to Vote Yes will help “Restore Nominet’s Purpose” as you can read here: https://publicbenefit.uk/

The Public Benefit Campaign is being run by stalwards from the hosting indistry who have been in business longer than us. We feel it is just simply untrue for Nominet to suggest that if less than half their board are removed the organisation will effectively fall apart. The scaremongering tactics are just petty in our view."

8. webber

webber Active Member

They do not come in separate emails!

Look for an email from: "takepart@cesvotes.com"
    Subject: "Notice of EGM — we need your help to secure a stable future for Nominet"

Towards the bottom of that email you will find a How to Vote section with a personalised link that will allow you to vote via a proxy.

In the same email there is a link to a form to register to attend the meeting, but this is the same for everyone:
    https://surveys.nominet.org.uk/s/nominetegm/

If you didn't receive that email you can request your voting security codes again here:
    https://secure.cesvotes.com/V3-1-0/nominetEGM21/en/login

Ideally vote as early as possible via proxy so you don't risk not being able to cast your vote during the EGM due to wrong credentials or technical problems.
    Ideally nominate "Simon Blackler" as proxy and not the Chair. It should look like this:
    View attachment 3186

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

As the number of people signed up to vote YES to the removal of leading Board directors hits 381 members, with 20% of all voting rights, and representing 67% of the 50 largest members...

And bearing in mind that only 2 members have spoken publicly against the Resolution (apart from those directors themselves)...

And that the majority of members do not vote at Nominet general meetings...

Then notwithstanding the disgracefully biased voting form, which contravenes normal democratic protocols that the voting booth should be impartial...

It would seem, if Nominet leaders genuinely care about the stability of the company, that they must prepare for orderly transition.

The remaining issue is not whether the named Board Directors will be removed (which now appears almost inevitable if the vote is allowed to go ahead)...

But whether the 'remnant' Board members will respect the democratic wish of the members (who have also advocated that Sir Michael and Axel be appointed as Directors) or will choose to plunge the company into a second EGM, where the removal of the remaining Directors will then be inevitable.

If the 'remnant' Board cares about the democratic will of the Company's members, and if it cares about stability rather than forcing yet another EGM, they will comply with the request in (the blocked) Resolution 2, and appoint the 2 new directors.

To this end, Mark and Russell, at this time, should be facilitating smooth transition and orderly change, and making it clear to their colleagues that any remaining Board must recognise the writing on the wall, and comply with the members who in the case of several directors elected them as their representatives.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 3gmedia

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

11. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Hi Martin-S...

You still think :p

https://www.theregister.com/2021/03/02/nominet_board_vote/

See para 15 or 16 where it starts "Only Nominet has the results of the voting so far....."

So thanks to WEBBER we all :

Look for an email from: "takepart@cesvotes.com"
    Subject: "Notice of EGM — we need your help to secure a stable future for Nominet"

Towards the bottom of that email you will find a How to Vote section with a personalised link that will allow you to vote via a proxy.

In the same email there is a link to a form to register to attend the meeting, but this is the same for everyone:
    https://surveys.nominet.org.uk/s/nominetegm/

If you didn't receive that email you can request your voting security codes again here:
    https://secure.cesvotes.com/V3-1-0/nominetEGM21/en/login

Ideally vote as early as possible via proxy so you don't risk not being able to cast your vote during the EGM due to wrong credentials or technical problems.
    Ideally nominate "Simon Blackler" as proxy and NOT the Chair. It should look like this:

View attachment 3186

• Like Like x 2
  12. martin-s United Kingdom

Another day, another propaganda email

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. sigh Malta

sigh Active Member

Amazing how they can send every email without mentioning who is proposing the resolution.

14. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

15. Pedigree United Kingdom

Pedigree Active Member Acorn Supporter

I am fully expecting the next email to be:

"VOTE NO or THE WORLD WILL END"

When it should be:

"VOTE NO or WE WILL HAVE TO GET OFF THE GRAVY TRAIN"

• Like Like x 1
  16. martin-s United Kingdom

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. sigh Malta

sigh Active Member

'That constitutes about 15% of Nominet’s full membership. While we are naturally eager to address their concerns, we must also respect the membership as a whole and cannot ignore the remaining 85%.'

This is a common tactic used by vote losers. If the other 85% don't vote then they have no concerns that need addressing. I hope if this is successful there is another EGM demanded to actually FIRE Russell and Mark as opposed to just removing them from the board. They clearly have nothing to offer the company and no intention of behaving maturely and with dignity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  18. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

Mark alleges that numbers of supporters are actually going down.

Even factoring in the possibility that a handful - 5? 10? - may have been sweet-talked over the phone by Nominet staff, Mark was referring to the 350 members who supported the EGM Resolution. There are now 381 signed up, and the number keeps on rising. Mark seems to be doing a King Canute, but the tide keeps coming in.

He also complains about Simon's "tone". What sort of tone was set by the voting form, with it's video advocating 'NO', totally lacking in impartiality. That was a shocking breach of normal democratic protocol. You don't go into the voting booth at a General Election, to find that there is an advert for just one party ON the voting slip. It was really disrespectful to the members.

And members may also recall the disgusting way a 'show of power' was melodramatically displayed right in the full flow of the AGM, with the simultaneous deletion of the members' forum. Again, that was total disrespect.

What we have is a leadership which has lost the trust and confidence of members. But notwithstanding things Mark says in his email about recruiting directors, members have a right, by requisition, to remove the whole Board if they have to, and at that point power passes to the members to appoint new Directors. Hopefully that won't be necessary, if the directors comply with what the members want.

The issue is that the TRUST is gone, and members will effectively be passing a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE in the present leadership.

They want a new leadership, and people they feel they can trust.

Finally, it's sad when Mark misrepresents what Simon says. Simon was *not* equating the contingency plans with terror or disaster. He was simply pointing out that Nominet has a duty to plan for orderly transition in a case like this. And that is perfectly possible to do.

19. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

Exactly. The tangible crisis is their own imminent removal. The company can function perfectly well under new leadership, and will. Leadership that people trust.

It reminds me of the days at the end of the old Soviet Union and its satellites. Citizens were actually challenging the right of the 'rulers' to rule. They didn't want those leaders anymore. And yet some of the old national leaders were in denial as opposition grew and grew. That's how this feels. I feel like Mark is in denial, and he's faced with a democratic tide, and soon his only card left will be (metaphorically) to send in the tanks, and I doubt that will save his position.

Trust is seeping away, week by week.

21. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

I would like to add, though, that as far as I'm concerned this isn't personal about Mark. Things just need to be said about the UK namespace being run in the interests of the nation, not as an ever expanding company with vanity projects and inflated executive salaries. As far as Mark himself is concerned. I've had private video conversation with him, I find him affable, and personally I think he's taking the rap for a CEO whose management style seems to me to be... regrettable, and faux-pas ridden. On a purely personal level, outside of the work context, I suspect Mark is a well-meaning person. I could get on with him, although I'm not sure, because of my views and criticisms, he would want to get on with me. But I wanted to make these more personal comments for balance. At a personal level I am probably soft, but when you're confronting corporate mentality (and all its spin) you have to be ruthless. I hate that, but it's sometimes necessary. This is a critical time in Nominet's history and it is necessary. The executive style has alienated too many people. 383 members calling for the leadership's removal is not a minor misunderstanding.