20i Reseller Hosting

Price difference: unhyphenated v hyphenated ?

Discussion in 'Domain Traffic / Keyword Research' started by Lucky Luke, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Hi All,

I was just wondering what value a two word hyphenated domain (.co.uk or .com) has compared to its unhyphenated sibling?

Is it as much as a half? or a quarter? or a fifth? Clearly it's not a precise fraction, but in ball park terms?

I'd be grateful for views as I have just bought the unhyphenated and now I am after the hyphenated.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

I say that the market value at present of somewhere around 1/10, ie that a hyphenated .co.uk commands the same sort of money as an org.uk domain.

I'm not saying that they have 10% of the value wrt SEO or anything else, just that generally speaking historic figures indicate this relationship in terms of aftermarket prices achieved.

As another rider, no generalised rules could ever account for every domain name, so the name you're referring to could be more of less than this, eg I think that Hi-Fi.co.uk is worth a lot more than 10% of the value of HiFi.co.uk.

4. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I have make-up.org.uk which also suits the hyphenated. I'm sure there are a few more that suit it ...

DomainPrices.co.uk could benefit from a hyphenated category, I just searched on "test" and found:

IQ-test.co.uk £ 3,300 £ 3,300 Sedo September 2007

Rgds

5. Lucky Luke United Kingdom

Lucky Luke Active Member

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the posts.

The two-worder I have unhyphenated is better unhyphenated than hyphenated, but I agree that some words can carry the hyphen without a problem.

I thought around 10% too for this situation, but it appears that the hyphenated seller may think otherwise. (It may be that I picked up the unhyphenated one cheap, but I don't think I'm that 'lucky'.)

I'll plug on anyhow.

Cheers, Luke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.