20i Domains

Restoring Nominet’s Purpose: Public Benefit

Discussion in 'Nominet Tag Holders' started by webber, Jan 31, 2021.

1. webber

webber Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. webber

webber Active Member

4. webber

webber Active Member

Interesting points in PublicBenefit.uk newsletter tonight:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  5. webber

webber Active Member

Last chance to sign the EGM notice PublicBenefit.uk before it is being submitted.
    But you can still sign it after that to show your support and get updates from the campaign.

• Like Like x 1
  6. webber

webber Active Member

Very interesting...
    Personally I would suggest if they do call you to listen to what they say, but record the call as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

I don’t think it is wise posting the email updates on a public forum, the less Nominet know the better.

8. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

To be honest, super, I think the first thing they will have done is get a shill to sign up and receive all the info sent to signatories.

I think it's academic. I think they have lost.

Even with ten of the really largest registrars called into action, based on an 80,000 cap, they can't outvote the numbers of smaller registrars that have signed up for change.

And bear in mind that Tucows (for example) have a policy of not voting in Nominet votes. They have a pretty liberal management team who have historically combated ICANN's shenanigans, and believe in Simon's set of values, and I've already touched base with Elliot Noss about the problems we're having here. I respect the guy from years gone by.

But where there are tactical plans, obviously those would remain need-to-know, rather than blanket email. But will Nominet be clandestinely receiving the general updates - of course.

It's obvious the Board is in trouble and know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CreativeMix United Kingdom

CreativeMix Active Member

I’d personally keep the public discussion to a minimum. No matter how well intentioned, we have a long history of shooting ourselves in the foot and we don’t want to risk an off the cuff remark being seized upon and spun against us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member

It's time for change and I'm hopeful the new board (assuming they succeed) will inject a bit of love to the .uk namespace. For me (and our business) the .uk rollout, against the wishes of most on here but with the backing of the largest registrars, has significantly affected our business since Nominet first announced it in 2012. As if that wasn't enough, they then significantly increased registration fees. Many individuals and businesses have also faced increased renewal fees, having to double up the fee if they registered the corresponding .uk. Some businesses have seen the .uk registered by someone else. To see Nominet directors pay themselves more and more, whilst the .uk namespace suffered has been a little galling. The present board have pursued many other ventures (including administering other extensions) using the .uk cashcow, and have, in my opinion, done very little to market the .uk namespace. Of course it's a difficult dilemma - do you market the .co.uk or the .uk? So it's going to be a difficult job for the new board, but let's hope they reduce wholesale fees, encouraging more domains to be registered, perhaps re-introducing 2 yr discounts. Hopefully the .uk aftermarket will improve and we can all look forward to a time of renewal and growth and confidence in the new board.

If anyone is wavering (and I doubt that many are) you need to remind yourself of the significant pay/bonus rises since that .uk consultation was announced. Nominet's directors were already, in my opinion, very well remunerated. Here is the relevant page. The top 3 directors' pay/bonus/other benefits in 2013 totalled £625k and rose to £1,317k in 2020!

This is after all a 'non-profit', virtual monopoly, with a relatively small workforce and a fairly stable renewable income.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

Just posted this in reply on Twitter to their statement, thought I may as well post here too.

I know it's very obvious, but they've said they want debate and member engagement, so I thought it would be good to spell out my opinions as clearly as I could at this time of night.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. jasman United Kingdom

jasman Active Member

Thanks for organising this. Just signed. We need to get back to 1 vote per member. I've been saying that since they hoodwinked us into giving it up. Ever since then Nominet have acted autocratically. 1 vote per member would get Nominet working for the benefit of the membership and hence the industry again, rather than for themselves.

I didn't know about this EGM until just now, it's luck that I logged in. I haven't been checking into Acorn all that often lately. I wonder how many other members there are out there with big portfolios who don't know about it? Does anyone know if any of the big portfolio holders who signed the petition on agm.uk last year (to oppose Nominet's plans to profit from dropping domains) have not pledged support for this EGM? If there are any, there's a good chance they don't know about it but would support it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. sigh Malta

sigh Active Member

The big registrars made a killing from the current nominet board. Firstly they got a new extension introduced forcing their customers (so they thought) to spend more money registering uk equivalents of their domains. They of course had a markup on those so that was free money as it didn't entail new customers/support. Then they got a price hike which they publicly grumbled about but it meant they could put their prices up far disproportionately to the actual increase and then claim they had no choice. There is no reason for them to want a different setup. They won't be giving their support. Not sure I agree with 1 member 1 vote though. I don't know how it would be worked but I don't think someone with a million domains and costs/infrastructure/business should only have the same voting weight as Fred in the shed with 5 domains. I think there should be no links between board members and registrar boards though. One or the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. super-whois United Kingdom

The current articles do allow different subscription levels, and the voting rights they have. Arguably, the biggest members should be paying more for their membership, and the voting rights should reflect the additional subscription charge.

15. DesD

DesD Active Member

Tricked us all, this one. Shameful.

From publicbenefit.uk.

upload_2021-2-5_10-57-18.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. webber

webber Active Member

I had similar experience with Phil. Maybe because I didn't vote for him...
    Anne Taylor also seems AWOL

• Like Like x 1
  17. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

If you think members are annoyed at him for ignoring contact, imagine how annoyed the board must be at him. He could have got wind of what was happening 3-4 months ago, instead, thanks to Phil the board only found out about it on Thursday.

• Like Like x 2
  18. super-whois United Kingdom

Don't blame one, when all four elected NEDs sort of did the same! Maybe the elected NEDs are outnumbered by the others, and have given up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

The board must have known something was likely on the way, I imagine the organisation and proposed new directors of PublicBenefit.uk has been a surprise however.

A quote from my email to the CEO 23/09/20:
    "It feels like an own goal, to close the forum without discussion, it's only served to antagonise members who were involved further. No doubt there will be a collective effort from members to come together and have their voices heard."

In fairness Russell did reply, and we exchanged several emails, ultimately the answer was as I expected - please get involved with our other member engagement channels. I know I wasn't the only member to contact them saying something along these lines though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Amen to that! I still can't believe this is allowed to happen.

Yep, Same old story. And that's what ever happens at election time. A NED candidate joins the forum and promises everything then delivers nothing and disappears once elected.

Next time, we need to get a true domainer on the Board that solely has OUR interests at heart.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  21. xdnet

xdnet Member

NEDs seem to be quite strictly bound, so there's very little they can actually say to members. They can't discuss decisions at the board, they can't commit to anything post-election because they can't then defend themselves when the board does the opposite etc etc.

And due to conflicts of interest as many are also registrars, they seem to be unable to contribute fully or vote on issues which effect registrars.

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong, but certainly seems like a poisoned chalice to me.