Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Save Nom-Steer!

Discussion in 'Nominet Tag Holders' started by Whois-Search, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

There are 4 days left on the "Introducing a web-based forum in place of nom-steer" consultation:
    http://www.nic.uk/policy/consultations/forum/

Many people have already expressed concern at the take it or leave it approach, moderation problems and accessibility (email v web) issues.

I'm actually in favour of a web based forum to help improve member participation. However this shouldn't replace the traditional mailing list and we know from our own forum how moderation can cause problems.

I therefore urge all Nominet members to click "Stay as it is" before the 29th September.

I have also asked Nominet to list the consultation responses!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Rubbish - let's have a nice forum with a nice Web 2.0 template.

You mailing list laggards will have to sharpen your pencils :mrgreen:

Vote FORUM people - it's the future.

4. rob

rob Founding Member

Do you have further information on these pencils? ie. colour red? :)

5. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

I voted for a forum, that mailing list is so hard to follow - snippets of other peoples emails all over the place - and it's a totally alien format to most internet users.

Most forums allow you to subscribe to threads and can send new posts to you by email anyway.

Vote forum :)

Grant

6. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

This whole consultation is not about giving people a shiny new web 2.0 forum.

This is about giving Nominet an "edit" button.

For example would Sean's comment of "Why don't nominet fix there current systems before they keep making pointless changes all the time" - stay on any Nominet forum?

At least email can't be changed - once it's gone it's gone - you can also read it whilst on a train to London.

Maybe the answer lies in both email and forum:
    http://www.discusware.com/products/professional.html

7. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

8. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

But they look so nice! All those cool colours and wavey lines. Not to menton all that jazzy CSS/AJAX stuff :-D

I don't think it's about that at all. Sure there may be an edit button, as with any forum, but I don't think they'd use it like Laskos does :)

I trust Nominet to keep a good open forum.

9. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

I could live with that. I voted against the web forum because it didn't allow the option of email for those who like it that way. As I do when collecting mail via a mobile connection (at snail-speed) when travelling.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  10. mishmash

mishmash Active Member

It looks as if the form is accepting responses from non-members.

If members get a forum, I would like one for non members too and have submitted a response to that effect.

How Nominet works affects almost everyone in the UK and everyone, perhaps via, democratically elected representatives should have a say in how it is run.

11. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Thanks Andrew and your prob right... although if I posted and it went I would keep complaining as Hazel pointed out to me, everyone has the right to voice there concern weather its good or bad.

But I really belive the forum would be better as emails do get lost and to see them all in one place would be better with topics. I would post alot more as emailing can be painfull sometimes as fred said keeping up with whats said.

12. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Of course it needs to be a 'random access' forum -- not a sequential list -- where are these dinosuars from? Let's move on -- a 15-year leap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.