Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Scam ?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Scams' started by Slater, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

Received a letter today with a hand written envelope and 2nd class stamp.

Inside was a letter with someone saying they are interested in one of my domains names, the guys name looks African although the address at the top of the letter is a London residential address.

The letter starts "Dear Friend", English is bad with phrases like "I am interesting to buy your domain name "and "I am webmaster for company base in London", gives mobile contact number (complete with 0044 prefix) and a hotmail email address (with a comma instead of a full stop).

My address and the domain name appears in a different font and text size as rest of letter as if had been badly mail merged, also paper has scribble over the back of it.

Anyone else had this kind of letter ?

Mark.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. deconstruction United Kingdom

deconstruction Well-Known Member

4. dhscott

dhscott Active Member

If they have left a postcode or a whole address even, check out the royal mail's site, it has a postcode / address lookup. It should tell you if the address / postcode match.

Do a google search for the email address too, it might be around.

5. fred United Kingdom

fred Active Member

You can also do a search on the bt directory enquiries site. Look up the name to the address to see if there is a match - no result doesn't necisarily proove anything, but a match will confirm that at least the name fits the address (and give you a landline number!)

6. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

Have emailed the guy, given him a ball park figure and asked him to make a bid on Sedo if he's interested. If it's genuine I might lose some commision to Sedo but at least he'll have to pay upfront.

Thanks for the advice guys, doesn't feel right to me but maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised.

Mark.

7. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

No reply back, looks like a scam.

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I've had about a letter a week lately, unless they put an email address (which you think anyone would) I don't bother replying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.