Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Signature Links & long anchor text

Discussion in 'SEO Search Engine Optimisation' started by BFTUK, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

I thought i'd let you guys in on a little technique i hit upon recently.

Signature links are a very under rated part of SEO, some people still claim they have no effect on SEO but its simple enough to experiment with to see if the have any effect on search engine rankings but if your too lazy to test it! Trust me they do 'currently' have an effect with all the major search engines.

So for those of you looking to do some SEO for your sites, stick a couple of signature links in your profile on any forums you post on, now my second and related tip........

And this wil work particulary for new sites but will also work for more established sites, rather than try and target a specific phrase (in your signature links) say for example you sell 'ice cream' try using a longer and more general anchor text such as 'Vanilla, Strawberry and chocolate ice cream from xyz ice cream ltd'

If your niche is'nt too competetive you'll soon find yourself ranking well for loads of related phrases, and is a great way to bring in traffic to your site.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

which reminds me, I dont allow links to other related forums in member signatures :)

4. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

No problem i'll remove it! I must say though the domain section on that forum has about 10 posts! Hardly a competitor! :-D

5. aqls

aqls Well-Known Member

Thanks for that advice Drizzt, it goes completely against what everyone says at the moment yet it sounds like good sense to me!

-aqls-

6. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

Ha ha, no problems!

You should still aim for a keyphrase or word as a long term target, but for short term results this really works.

The way i see it is it is what brings traffic that counts.

Lets say keyword target no.1 would bring you 100 visitors a day, but by using long anchor texts you could be ranking top ten for 50 related phrases that bring a total of 150 visitors a day.

Long term target obviously you want both scenarios, but to rank well for competetive keywords you need time.

7. BFTUK United Kingdom

BFTUK Active Member

He is an example of how people found one of my sites last month, i only ever used the anchor text you can see in my signature.

The list would be alot longer but i only pulled the most popular searched terms.

Code:
    telegraph password	
    telegraph fantasy password	
    telegraph fantasy football password	
    daily telegraph fantasy football transfer password	
    daily telegraph fantasy football password	
    telegraph football password	
    daily telegraph password	
    telegraph transfer password	
    daily telegraph fantasy football	
    telegraph passwords	
    dailytelegraphfantasyfootballpassword	
    fantasy football transfer password	
    telegraph fantasy football transfer password	
    fantasy football passwords	
    daily telegraph transfer password	
    daily telegraph fantasy password

8. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Can you explain how you created the text over the link in your sig. I may be missing something simple, but I cant get it to work even when using html

thanks

9. paul

paul Well-Known Member

Try this:

HTML:
    [url=www.catherinetate.co.uk]Catherine Tate[/url]

10. retired_member16

retired_member16 Banned

Ah, the ], of course.

Thanks

11. weycresto

weycresto Active Member

Good point raised there. I'm always telling people to go for "long tail" search phrases to start. For example one of my sites ranks #14 & #15 on google.co.uk "cheap web hosting" which is quite a good term but is #1 for "cheap web hosting plesk" and various other terms.

OK much fewer search on those terms, but there is much more variety. I'd also say you get a much better chance of a conversion from a more specific search. Also finding for four word searches can get acceptable rankings within a few weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.