Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Suspended due to Dissolved/Unknown

Discussion in 'Detagged or Suspended UK Domain Names' started by Whois-Search, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whois-Search

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

What do you call UK domains that:

- have a renewal date in the future

- are suspended

- owned by a LTD company that has been dissolved.

- or the registrant is Unknown.

Are they sold off on autionurls.co.uk or do they drop like pre-nom's ?

Examples:

innocence.co.uk
    getfinance.co.uk
    keyringshop.co.uk

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. olebean United Kingdom

olebean Well-Known Member

In theory those belong to the state...

4. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

That only happens if the name was registered before Nominet changed their T&Cs. I can't remember the date now, but the T&Cs used to say "if you're dissolved, the domain passes bona vacantia". They now say "if you're dissolved, we'll delete the domain and make it available for reregistration".

I think.

5. olebean United Kingdom

Despite Nominets T&C, the domains should revert to the treasury.

I just wonder if lyrics.co.uk was part of a dissolved company, whether the treasurey wouldn't be looking at Nominet and asking who gave them permission to take their property.

6. jalpope

jalpope Member

I am sure you wouldn't be saying that if the money was sitting in your account. You will find a number of other names went the same way. If the treasury can't pull their finger out then it's not Nominet's fault.

Not sure when this fixation with l***cs.co.uk will end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bobby sands

bobby sands Active Member

>>I just wonder if lyrics.co.uk was part of a dissolved company, whether the treasurey wouldn't be looking at Nominet and asking who gave them permission to take their property.

do i detect the faint aroma of jealousy?

not very sporting to explicitly refer to the domain name itself in a public forum is it? (IMHO)

8. olebean United Kingdom

bobby/ jalpope

I used that as an analogy purely due to the value gained. If you read the posts you should have realised it was about dissolved companies and nominet assuming rights to domains.... The determinant factor being value! unless you guys don't feel lyrics/domains have value?

9. bobby sands

bobby sands Active Member

>>I used that as an analogy purely due to the value gained.

ok, i see why you used that as an example. it is just that if i'd been involved in cunningly acquiring a piece of gold from a sleeping dragon i'd appreciate a bit of hush in case the dragon decided to wake up and come and find me... now that's an anology ;-)

>>unless you guys don't feel lyrics/domains have value?

yes, you are completely correct. i believe that domains have NO value whatsoever.

in terms of the value of 'lyrics'- i'd say that they have no monetary or intrinsic value, per se, but can often have spiritual value when used or sung appropriately... etc. etc. yadda yadda shaddap!

10. Whois-Search

innocence.co.uk dropped today

previous renewal date: 2007-09-02

dropped 531 days before the renewal date

11. Paullas

Paullas Super Moderator Staff Member

any ideas how or why ???

12. iCodes United Kingdom

iCodes Active Member

The following domains (of mine) will probably drop before the renewal date....

pcandgaming.co.uk
    allcreditcards.co.uk
    amazonstore.co.uk

The reason for this is because www.registerfly.com registered them in there own name instead of mine,, this was a bit gutting as two of them contained money making websites, they ignored all my emails and ignored the nominet dispute complaints, so unless i paid £750 to get them back i didnt have a hope in hell.

Check the whois data and you will see what i mean.

13. Whois-Search

If you look on:

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/WebCHeck/fastrack/

04084589 D INNOCENCE LIMITED Dissolved

Therefore Nominet must have suspended the name when the company was dissolved.

I thought all these names went to http://www.auctionurls.co.uk

But now it seems Nominet drop them "random".

I can find 190 of them deleting.co.uk > Advanced Search > Names suspended before renewal date > Only > search

Yes...... there are alot of registerfly.com names on there too

14. paul

paul Well-Known Member

don't know if there is a link but check out the details on these:

sportsinjuryclaims.co.uk
    sportsclaims.co.uk
    spellings.co.uk
    rentalsabroad.co.uk
    ownerloans.co.uk

Might be worth dropping Mr C.H a line to see if he is connected or can sort it out.

Paul

Local Shops Adult DVDs HPI Check Breakdown Recovery

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  15. EdPhillips

EdPhillips Active Member

You are mostly right. Under the old system domain names used to go to the Treasury Solicitor and regional equivalents. Following the changes to the terms and conditions in October 2004 domains have started simply to be cancelled where the registrant has ceased to exist. This resolved a number of unsatisfactory elements to the process where domains went to the TS.

Because of transitionary provisions, and because there are still pre-nom names being processed, there will still be some that go to the TS. In time, however, these will be phased out so that all names simply get cancelled in these cases.

Note that .com (etc) names registered to companies never went to the TS anyway.

16. olebean United Kingdom

Ed

You suggest that changes to terms and conditions in October 2004 domains have started to be cancelled...rather than going to TS

Were the changes in consultation with the Tax office / Treasury?

17. EdPhillips

EdPhillips Active Member

It was not a formal consultation as such, but we did talk to them. Why do you ask?

18. olebean United Kingdom

Ed

I only ask because I feel it is old that the treasury / tax office has not chosen / or sought to retain rights over potentially "valued" domains. Valued being that of £700 (if memory serves correct)...

All credit to you guys if as you suggest you talked to them prior to writing the rules.

The only issue I do have is, if it was an informal conversation, is there potentially a risk that should the revenue decide that they do have rights, they may demand recompense and from who or even worse reclaim the domain.

19. EdPhillips

EdPhillips Active Member

The situation was not ideal for them either - they lost in the DRS a few times, and had to disclaim some of the more difficult domains that they ended up with.

However, the legal situation was clear - that if the contract terminated when the registrant ceased to exist then there were no rights remaining to be passed to the TS. A domain name is not an item of property, after all.

20. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

Ed, you will of course be aware that a Court in Virginia ruled that indeed a Domain names IS property and as such must be treated in much the same way as any other property. I would not think it hard to persuade a Court in the UK to rule similarly.

DG

21. olebean United Kingdom

DG

A interesting suggestion, the only problem, its not in te uk.....

Both you and Ed pose interesting answers which in turn raise further questions...

1. if a domain is property should there be a relationship between TM's and domains, baring in mind a domain can or cannot represent a trademark.

As an analogy: If I puchased land lets say 1000 acres that has an identical name as a TM, would I have purchased an infringement and should I give the land to the TM holder?

2. On puchasing a domain, what company asks you to agree to nominets T&C, yet these T&C are imposed... Is there a triangluar relationship?

In my ole view it just shows how much the domain industry has to mature... Even using the eg of the Tax office losing DRS cases, smacks of the tail wagging the dog...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.