20i Domains

The investment of the future

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Murray, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I just stumbled across - https://www.nbatopshot.com/

It's like collecting baseball or pokemon cards, you buy packs but you open clips; people then trade rare clips with each other

It's blockchain technology so you're buying the block/token the clip is on I guess, because obviously the value of a clip everyone can watch is zero unless you have the rights to the actual footage

I guess somehow attaching it to the unique block gives it value..
    A guy just paid a record $100k for a clip https://twitter.com/JerLevine/status/1353407121547661313

Someone else bought one for $35k and explained it here - https://luckymaverick.substack.com/p/nft

My initial reaction was how stupid but it seems like it's catching on

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Yeah, NFT's are big business. I have some wall art all authenticated via the blockchain, very cool.

4. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Oh is this already a very popular thing in a lot of genres?

Edit> I've registered Digital Collectibles just in case

5. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

Ohh god not another crypto based ponzi scheme ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member Full Member

I'd never heard of this before, and know nothing at all about basketball, which would mean reading up on the subject a fair bit, if you wanted to get involved with it seriously.

As far as I can see, you buy packs of clips, 3 clips per pack, and if you get lucky, your pack might contain a sought after clip, a bit like in the old days with Panini football cards/stickers.

I might throw £100 at buying a few packs to see if the odd one is worth anything. I did look at their page where you buy the packs, but they only release new sets of clips on Mondays and Thursdays.

Of the back of this topic, I regged topshots.uk

7. boxerdog

boxerdog Well-Known Member

I`d rather spend £100 on scratch cards.

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Yes I'm not into Basketball either

I'm more interested how this will develop generally, I'm sure the premier league will have something similar if it works out well for the NBA

https://ufc.onflow.org/ the UFC already have something in development

Then what next? will people be buying popular clips of tv shows and movies

And Ian said above they're already doing things with art - https://news.bitcoin.com/rick-and-m...t-art-collection-for-over-1-million-in-ether/

9. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Another thought about blockchain and ownership

Say there's a famous painting, antique, memorabilia etc that's out of reach for most people

What if the ownership was put into blockchain contract and you could buy fractions of ownership and hold it like crypto? similar to shares in a company

The piece itself could be held by a custodian in a vault or displayed on loan to a museum

10. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Sounds like an over-complication just to involve blockchain somewhere within a transaction process.

11. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Hadn't seen this, but having a look it's quite interesting.

So this seems like the start of stuff that blockchain is actually really good for. This is part of flow/dapper network who are also partnered with crypto kitties / ufc and moving forward Universal Music ( who own the music world mostly) Just from the music angle, if they build a decent smart contract system on the back of this that automatically pays out to music rights holders then this has the potential to be pretty huge. It's exactly what blockchain is perfect for.

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Not so much in the transaction process

I'm thinking it opens up the idea of group ownership in things that aren't physically divisible and would usually be out of reach to invest in for a regular person

Dee brings up music, what about owning a token to a % of a popular song? and you get your percent of royalties to that song when it's used commercially

What would a fan pay to own a piece of a Beatles song? and earn dividends

13. dee

Yep... although again, Universal and Hipgnosis have been buying up large back catalogues of rights for a while now for large sums of money. One good reason they would want to push for a decent way to get paid for those rights. If rather than having to chase for every 0.001 cents for every stream everywhere via a collection agency, it just turned up, then I suspect they would get a return exponentially quicker. I think they just paid 400 million for Dylans rights alone... so its not small change.

The movie industry has been crying out for this for years aswell....even more so than music. Music and video industry are getting decimated by piracy.

14. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand how this would prevent piracy? All the time that digital media is compiled (packaged as an audio or video file), it can be decompiled, downloaded and re-distributed illegally. Moving the "ownership" of the medium to blockchain will make no difference to that.

Not unless network (internet) access is also somehow piped through a blockchain of sorts, in order to attribute file sharing to a unique ID. But I'm sure this would somehow violate privacy laws.

15. dee

Sorry... yes.... that was a slight tangent. In my head I knew what i meant : ) You're right in terms of piracy of stuff just being copied. But it also exists in terms of public performance through legitimate channels. So say for instance how many pubs and clubs are using spotify to stream in public venues and not paying appropriate fees. It would need some working out, but heading in right direction. Maybe a tally system on the file itself that has to check in occasionally..... dont know.

My thoughts were mostly based on the fact that rights holders can get paid properly and immediately if a decent system implemented that requires public facing broadcasters etc to connect to the blockchain. It currently can take literally years to revenue from places like South America for example, and even then it's no where near what it should be, i mean single digit percentages of what it should be.

16. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I'm way behind things

A percent of an Andy Warhol piece was tokenised and sold in 2018 - the auction raised US$1.7m for 31.5% of the artwork at a valuation of US$5.6m.

https://www.realwire.com/releases/First-ever-multi-million-dollar-artwork-tokenised-and-sold-on-blockchain#:~:text=Maecenas tokenised 14 Small Electric,a cryptocurrency created for Maecenas.

17. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. dee

Really ? Wow. Beeple as in does lots of VJ stuff aswell ? Love his stuff.

I think NFT is going to be huge.....Well, already is . I mentioned on another thread one NFT project that looks interesting. Earth 2. They are essentially mapping and recreating the the earth and selling land for a game world yet to be decided.. Theres been a huge land grab.

19. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Yup, that's him. Over at https://www.beeple-crap.com/vjloops

I've never understood crypto-*, but that just means I will miss out on early benefits and value, I guess.
    But nobody can say crypto is worthless or it has no value. Look at the real tangible money that has been thrown into its various platforms?!

What YOU define as value does not make it so.

20. dee

True.There are plenty of opportunities out there at the moment for early adopters.

21. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Those that bemoan it having no intrinsic value either are bitter for not getting in earlier, or just don't understand how the traditional monetary system works. I liked this comment made recently on a BBC article:

"No intrinsic value
    Open to manipulation
    Instrumental in fraud and crime
    No proof of work
    Technically unlimited supply...

But that's enough about fiat currency"

• Funny Funny x 4