20i Domains

The Manifest Threat to Nominet’s Reputation & Stability

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

You have to be careful in assuming why companies are voting. Just because they pledge, doesn't automatically mean they actually care or think things are run bad etc.

They could theoretically be voting purely for one of the goals only... to try and keep wholesale pricing down on .uk domains?

It could be a power play by companies too.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

You could be right. Everyone has their reasons and motives. I know nothing about Namecheap's outlook, but I believe that Stephan has backed critics of the Nominet regime before. Anyway... 452 members calling for change is clearly more than just a fringe of malcontents. And it's good to have them on board.

4. jmcc Ireland

jmcc Active Member

Namecheap's model is geared towards lower pricing but that's part of the business. Other players have other business models. The danger with ccTLDs is when they are being increasingly overpriced in traditionally low price market. Getting the pricing right with ccTLDs is a very tricky thing. The reality is that the .UK completely dominates the UK domain name market and the legacy gTLDs have been declining in market share. If .UK was to be priced higher than alternatives like .COM, then there is a risk of a kind of flight to other TLDs. The other factor is that .UK has a kind of ubiquity in that people in the UK think of it as *their* TLD and more specifically that a new site targeting the market would use a .co.uk. The frog boiling effect of increasing prices plays out over years on a TLD but it is dependent on registrants for whom the switching costs will be too high to keep renewing their domain names. The speculative element of registrations are often the first to disappear but this happens long before the public notices the effects.

The votes thing is still a bit confusing but the latest is that there are 1.8 million votes to get rid of the board members. Is this enough to ensure that the motion passes and how many are undecided? That video clip posted on another thread was quite horrifying in the way that the .UK ccTLD was being presented as an opportunity to make money rather than a national asset.

Regards...jmcc

• Like Like x 2
  5. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

TUCOWS say they will vote YES.

I have had correspondence with Elliot Noss in recent weeks, and I knew he was looking at the situation closely. I think Simon put the case to him and the company have responded here.

This is a major blow for the Chair and CEO who portrayed the campaign as a small group of troublemakers.

Tucows is not small.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jmcc Ireland

jmcc Active Member

Tucows is a serious player in the outsourced registrations as a service market. If Tucows votes yes then it may have an impact on some of the other North American registrars who are also Nominet members.

Regards...jmcc

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jmcc Ireland

jmcc Active Member

It also puts the number of votes over 2 million. That's a great angle for any journalists covering this story. Maybe ElReg will run another piece on it.

Regards...jmcc

8. webber

webber Active Member

Kieren McCarthy has been absolutely amazing over the years in his coverage of these otherwise boring niche problems with Nominet.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jmcc Ireland

jmcc Active Member

Yep. He's very good on domain name issues and also previously worked for ICANN. His book on what happened to Sex.com is definitely worth reading.

Regards...jmcc

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

"The registry should have a narrow and focused mandate." (Tucows)

This is very much what the campaign has been saying, in the context of Nominet's hunger for expansion into other ventures.

"As a public asset, surplus funds from the operation of a registry should be delivered to thoughtful and relevant public benefit initiatives, while also containing and reducing costs for the millions of businesses and consumers that use and rely on the domain names." (Tucows)

Yes, a reduction in executive pay would help as well. So would a reduction in domain name costs. When you look at the implications of .uk, which Aaron highlighted earlier this week, costs have risen inexcusably, and what should really be a public asset has been used as a basis for (failed) investment in... automated cars, investments like Cyglass which have still cost the company more than they have earned, and not to forget a £30million black hole over back-end contracts at knock down, loss leader prices, in newTLDs which has been papered over with language like 'suspended profit'. To the lay reader, that's 'profit which isn't there'.

No. Just run the UK's ccTLD.

11. jmcc Ireland

jmcc Active Member

The .uk thing seemed to be an attempt to jump on the new gTLD bandwagon. The problem was that many of the new gTLDs were an attempt to fix the artificial shortage of "good" domain names caused by Domain Tasting over 2005 to 2007. By 2009, most of the large-scale domain tasting was gone from the gTLDs but the industry was locked into the new gTLDs as being a solution for a problem that was already solved. The new gTLDs did not turn out like ICANN and Nominet expected and some of the geo-gTLDs like .LONDON/WALES/SCOT/CYMRU are still quite small. I can understand Nominet wanting to protect brands and localities but there seemed to be a lack of a clue as to how the industry was developing.

Regards...jmcc

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Latest email says "Please support the company and vote NO."

Shouldn't it say please support the current board/leadership and vote no?

Voting yes isn't not supporting the company

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

Couldn't agree more. That's absolutely the point isn't it?

When the EGM was called, Mark and Russell portrayed the action as a small group of troublemakers (or words to that effect) using words like 'ringleaders' more applicable to a gang of bandits.

But actually it is 470 of the most engaged members, who care about Nominet, who rely on Nominet, and who are criticising the leadership as opposed to the company.

The way this Resolution vote and EGM has been handled is a disgrace, and illustrates why members have issues with the leadership.

The voting page had a video by the Chairman, with no balancing video (or even mention) of the campaign proposing the resolution. Electoral process is supposed to be impartial.

And at the EGM, when members can ask questions about the Resolution, the Chairman and Board can answer questions, but Simon Blackler who actually proposed this Resolution is not allowed to be asked questions or answer questions.

The leadership seem to think that without them, the company is nothing. They couldn't be further from the truth.

14. webber

webber Active Member

More like: Please support the "reasonable" directors' salary and vote NO.

15. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

I sent back a polite enough email :

---------

Thank you for your unbiased approach to reminding me.

I have already placed my vote.

Regards
    --------

Obviously didn't put quite what I wanted to put.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. max_rk

max_rk Active Member

3 times this week tried to get an email with details on how to vote. Despite the best efforts by Nominet, I did not get that email so I did NOT vote. I don't have any proof, but it's very possible that it has happened on purpose.

17. webber

webber Active Member

Get on the phone with them on Monday morning and don't hang up until you either have a link to vote by proxy (technically voting by proxy will be closed by then, but it's their screwup so they should make an exception) or you get a link for participating at the EGM at 15:00 and you will be able to vote during the EGM.
    Put some real pressure on them, this is unacceptable

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Can you check your server mail? Mine first one was there in the junk box on the server - so didn't even make it to my mail client... was lucky I check each week. You still have 30 mins for nominating a proxy no?

19. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Weird. I've had 3 phone calls this week and emails reminding me. The original mail was 22nd feb.

The email was sent from Civica Election Services (CEStakepart@cesvotes.com)

20. max_rk

max_rk Active Member

Now expecting to vote during EGM

• Like Like x 2
  21. sigh

sigh Active Member

Anyone know why Simon has refused to speak?