Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What is more important Page Rank or Alexa Rank

Discussion in 'Social Media Marketing' started by ddwebguru, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

I want to get your feedback on this regard. Though we have to focus on getting good Page Rank and Alexa Rank which is more important? Please share your thoughts.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Is this a serious question? Looks like a templated one I see on loads of SEO forums.

If it is - I would forget both them really

Google Pagerank
    Alexa

Both are just 'rough guides' of values which aren't that important in the long run - you'll get good pagerank once you start ranking well if you are doing your SEO right

Rankings & conversions are far more important, concentrate on building good links with the right phrases to the correct page(s) - not always to your homepage! This will help your pages rank better - more visitors - more business

I'm competing for 'dining chairs' page one, and there's a competitor with a PR1 mid page - we are a PR4/5 - the values don't mean much for me - they are above us - build better links..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  4. dashu1 United Kingdom

dashu1 Well-Known Member

You beat me to it Nick. I was going to say visitors & conversions too :)

Alexa is pap - it only counts people who have the alexa toolbar installed, so if you wanted to & you had say a very big corporation, you could get all computers fitted with the alexa toolbar & get everyone to visit the website every day & skew the results.

You could do the same thing with a popular site by encouraging visitors to install the toolbar. The BNP is apparently on around 31000 most popular website in the World, which is surprising since they got about 1 million votes only.

They outrank Labour, Conservatives, and all other UK parties - so clearly alexa is poop.

Page rank doesn't really help you much either unless you're after kudos only.

5. ddwebguru

ddwebguru Active Member

How on earth I would be able to get high PR if my website start ranking well. PR of a website does not have anything to do with the ranking of that website. It depends on the quality of links, quality of content and other associated factors.

6. retired_member21

retired_member21 Retired Member

Because if you are ranking well (not just talking about appearing in the serps - talking about page 1/2 - 'WELL') you're pages are obviously well written, compliant in Google, receiving links/pagerank, and will eventually display a pagerank on the 'foolbar'

If you know so much about it, why were you asking the question in the first place? I know rankings and pagerank have nothing to do with each other - they are completley seperate algorithms. PageRank algorithm is leased from Stanford University and the Ranking/Quality algorithms use several hundred factors in their calculations which they file dozens of patents for every year to improve.

PageRank calculation has nothing to do with quality of content - it's on a completley seperate algorithm, you think it cares about your content/words etc?? It is a link graph score, but a hell of a complex one with billions of pages to calculate. It's the ranking/quality algorithms (Googlebot) that look at your content, and decide if you are duplicating, linking out to bad sites etc

The only way to get a pagerank 'high' is to achieve links from pages with either equal to, or greater than the pagerank you wish to achieve. That's the formula I've stuck to for a long time and it's proved true for me. E.g. generally speaking you'll need a link from a PR7 to get a PR6. If you want high pagerank go and get some high pagerank links! You could have a pr6 if you get a couple of pr6/pr7 links (depending on the number of outbounds) - but as you and I know, it won't help your rankings one bit as it's keyword inspecific - it doesn't look at words.

Back to your original question which was 'which is more important pagerank or alexa' - you don't need to worry about either?? Get the rankings for your site(s) a simple call to action/point of sale and you'll make money?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  7. crat3rs

crat3rs New Member

I think much important before you think how to get rank on google and alexa is to build good website with an honest and quality content on it. Once you have published a good website, choose a competitive keywords related with your product. Pagerank is a way of measuring a websites performance. The more links you get to your website, the more traffic it can drive which means much higher page ranking. I think it is much important than alexa, except if you are a webmaster and want to make money online with your blogs and website, you need alexa ranking to be accepted as publisher.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  8. ribble-valley United Kingdom

ribble-valley Active Member

I agree with some of the comments above, in particular about using 'authority' (higher PR) sites for backlinks to your lower ranking site. Download the Google foolbar and browse relevant sites to yours looking for higher PR, try and get some inbound links from those pages to your site.

Although there are lots of factors for page ranking, the important part is to populate it with relevant content and to gain relevant one-way backlinks from relevant sites with relevant keywords for your relevant content. You get the idea.... google is built on relevance, they'd be letting their customers (browsers and advertisers) down otherwise.

Stick to the rules and page ranking will look after itself. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.