20i Domains

Windows 10?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Edwin, Jul 29, 2015.

?

Windows 10 upgrade?

1. Yes, immediately

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. Yes, later

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Ugh, no!

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. What?

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

Google is also an operating system - ever heard of Chromebooks?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. mbignell United Kingdom

mbignell Active Member

I won't be changing anytime soon, Nowt wrong with the computer i've got, P4 3 gig suits my needs as does XP, I never tried 7 / 8 and won't be trying 10, I don't believe in being forced to upgrade and i'm a skint / tight old git :)

4. UncleBob United Kingdom

UncleBob Active Member

the answer to "which is the best / superior smart phone" is always "the one which does exactly what you want or need it to". same applies to OS, i believe.

as much as i like Windows 7, i do miss XP, which as you say does pretty much any job you could ask of it.

5. noonoo1

noonoo1 Retired Member

There is a small glitch with windows 10!

Outlook emails will not send on some computers.

Here's the solution to fix this problem:

This issue seems to be common for some specific configurations although the actual cause isn’t clear at this point. It can happen with any version of Outlook.

However, recovering from this is relatively easy but of course still annoying.

Windows Resource Checker – sfc /scannow
    To recover from the issue, you must run the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker tool, also know as “System File Checker” or “sfc”. This tool scans and verifies the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct versions.

Right click on the Start button of Windows and choose: Command Prompt (Admin).
    If you don’t see this, instead choose: Windows PowerShell (Admin)
    Behind the prompt type: sfc /scannow
    (note the space in the command)
    Wait until the process completes. This usually doesn’t take longer than 20 minutes with a regular hard disk and takes much shorter when you have a fast SSD drive.
    Restart your computer.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  6. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Given the complete lack of a security updates for the system now that seems a bit mad.
    Hope you don't do any online banking or similar via the computer as your ripe for being added to some Russians botnet.

PS They have give windows 10 away free to most people. I don't know what other specs your system has but if its as slow one I was asked to look at the other day your probably wasting hours of productivity waiting for the outdated system to load programs etc.

7. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

Just upgrading my "support" PC now, upgrade screen is pants black with "Upgrading Windows" in white, must be the most boring upgrade to watch in years :(

I've run Win 10 pre-release on a virtualbox device for a while so not expecting anything major in surprise.

8. mbignell United Kingdom

mbignell Active Member

I still get security updates, Nope nothing worth nicking from this PC besides i also run Zonealarm, Actually this system is lightning fast compared to my IBM XT 5160 with a humongous 640k Ram and 256 Mb CF hard drive, Now that is a tad slow :D

9. ian

ian Well-Known Member

I'm on Windows 7 and it started downloading 10 this morning automatically (as with all updates). I have it set to download but request to install. It keeps trying to install, prompting me to save my work for installation now, or schedule for installation (only dates available are the next 3 days!). Such a pain!!!

10. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I don't like spending the time or taking the risk to upgrade my present computer, but I do want Windows 10. I guess I'll just have to buy another computer.

11. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

FYI Microsoft doesn't issue XP security patches any more, not for ages. And since July it won't even patch Security Essentials...
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/15/xp_antimalware_support_axed/

12. mbignell United Kingdom

mbignell Active Member

13. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Some will know I use alienware systems (last one now, brand has gone to hell) there is an issue either with nvidia+windows 10, or windows 10 directly where its killing the Displays or Graphics cards. It seems specific to the 18.4 Screens by Samsung and some company I have never heard of and nvidia cards.

My 18" alienware is toast so doesn't affect me, but will be interesting to see who gets the blame dropped on them, as it hits the stupid expensive MSI 18" and the Alienware 18" quite hard.

A good reason why I won't be updating any laptops, and would buy a new laptop with it pre-installed. Upgrading laptops sucks!

14. ian

ian Well-Known Member

My PC has an upgrade version downloaded, but how do I get a full copy which I can install on a new SSD, and will that work along side my W7 version whilst I test it; and how do I create a boot USB from the new version as I don't have a DVD reader in my PC.

15. mat

mat Well-Known Member

You can get the fully copy ISO here to put on DVD or USB stick

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Basically you can only clean install it onto a computer which has had the upgrade done. When you upgrade they link your computer/hardware to a license key, so any reinstall or clean install in the future will not require you to put it in.

16. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Thanks Mat, yeah, spotted that. Means I won't be able to install fresh on a new SSD whilst retaining W7 on my existing SSD until I'm confident all the software/drivers I require are full functioning. I suspect my only option in that instance would be to buy a new license, or install W7 on the new SSD, then upgrade it, but then I'd question what will happen with my existing SSD if I continue to run on W7?!?!

17. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

18. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

Can't you just copy the image of 7 onto the new ssd and then upgrade win 7 and test it. If all ok and you want new ssd in, just copy new image to ssd and swap.

19. SF

SF Well-Known Member

If installed windows 10 would that remove 7 and all the years worth of updates and free up hard drive space, you can imigine after a few years all the updates and space required for them?

20. Retired_member41

Retired_member41 Retired Member

You would just have to delete the windows.old file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.