20i Domains

Windows Vista typo

Discussion in 'Archive UK Domains For Sale' started by gunpowda, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunpowda

gunpowda Member

Microsoft recently announced that the latest incarnation of Windows will be called Windows Vista.

They've registered most of the relevant domain names well in advance, predictably, and people have grabbed most of the remaining permutations, some of which are already on eBay!

I managed to get windows c ista . com - c for v is a very common typo. In time I believe this will be raking in the traffic.

Just wondering if people are interested (offers by pm), or if anyone has other acquisition stories to share.

Cheers!

/Edit: now on eBay.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. rob

rob Founding Member

I had a nose around yesterday and most of what was free has been taken today.

They will probably end up doing the same as the registrants of leoblair.co.uk
    londonblasts.co.uk 7july.co.uk etc. Currently I am 'up' about fifty quid in passing them over for registration more than can be said for the owners of those ;)

Possibly the most amusing one was when the Hutton enquiry used the-hutton-inquiry.org.uk and then the Butler enquiry had yet to register the-butler-inquiry.org.uk ... that could have been fun :)

4. gunpowda

gunpowda Member

I think registering 7july is definitely beyond the limits of acceptable taste, and that's probably why it's lying untouched.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

??

7july.co.uk has been registered (on the date of the bombings)
    The owner has done it anonymously in effect

6. Godfrey United Kingdom

Godfrey Active Member

msoftvista.com & mswindows-vista.com are still availble if anyone is interested! :smile:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  7. aquanuke

aquanuke Well-Known Member

That looks bad for 123-reg, someone might think 123 are trying to sell hosting of that domain. :)

8. gunpowda

gunpowda Member

Admin, sorry, should have made that clearer.

By untouched I just meant a parking page that's not doing anything - 'This domain name has been successfully registered'.

9. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

If you register Windows Vista related domain names, won't you face legal action from Microsoft??

Cheers

accelerator

10. Godfrey United Kingdom

Godfrey Active Member

not unless you are an official Microsoft agent or legally selling microsoft products. Not sure about that one. Maybe I'm wrong and you are open to some kind of legal scutiny. :?

11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Registering and attempting to sell any trade mark domain is a high risk strategy, particularly when it is a company like Microsoft with endless funds and an army of top lawyers.

Going to a DRS case would be peanuts to them and they may even take it further than that.

Blatant TM domains are best avoided IMO.

12. James United Kingdom

James Active Member

I don't know why you said that most of the good ones were taken. I think I managed to reg some of the better ones yesterday (all .com)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005
  13. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

Well without going in to details, yes wholeheartedly agree
    with that statement.

DG

14. retired member 1

retired member 1 Retired Member

I think there is a fine line, i've owned some quite blatent TM domains in the past, if it's worth milking whilst you can then fair enough.

I think it depends a lot on the company, I know Google took some of their typos back as they were registered in bad faith. The guy was landed with a hefty fine to boot.

I have registered one .com typo of the said MS domain, I think it could be a good one, but if it's not then i'll leave it dormant and let it expire...I think a lot of it comes down to what you use it for, many will park I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.