Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

1.2m google exact searches per month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know it may be difficult but there is a single word generic domain with this amount of searches pm, what would you value it at? It is a type of sport eg tennis.co.uk, any idea of a valuation without me giving the name away?

I offered £50k, which i thought was very generous, owner wants nearly double!

It is a type of sport eg tennis.co.uk, any idea of a valuation without me giving the name away?

£100k may not be that unreasonable...

£100k may not be that unreasonable...

Thanks for the reply. Just seemed a lot to me when i compared it to other .co.uk sales such as fly.co.uk (admittedly was 2007 i think) and other domains that had higher exact searches but were sold for £20-40k.

Be interested to hear other opinions as would like to up my offer but don't want to overpay.

I know it may be difficult but there is a single word generic domain with this amount of searches pm, what would you value it at? It is a type of sport eg tennis.co.uk, any idea of a valuation without me giving the name away?

Given that the UK's three most popular sports are supposed to be [fishing] to do, [football] to watch & [golf] for both, and all get far less than a million UK exacts monthly on average, I'd love to know what this sport is? [Tennis], [cricket], [rugby], [sports], [sport], [athletics], [basketball], [hockey], [swimming] etc etc all get 300,000 or less.

Are you 100% sure you're measuring the figures correctly? If you are, are you 100% sure that the figure is accurate - it seems far too high to me.

BTW, personally I'd expect to pay £100,000+ for a sports name that was more popular in terms of it's subject matter than Football.co.uk.

I thought underground owned them all anyway :)

Given that the UK's three most popular sports are supposed to be [fishing] to do, [football] to watch & [golf] for both, and all get far less than a million UK exacts monthly on average, I'd love to know what this sport is? [Tennis], [cricket], [rugby], [sports], [sport], [athletics], [basketball], [hockey], [swimming] etc etc all get 300,000 or less.

Are you 100% sure you're measuring the figures correctly? If you are, are you 100% sure that the figure is accurate - it seems far too high to me.

BTW, personally I'd expect to pay £100,000+ for a sports name that was more popular in terms of it's subject matter than Football.co.uk.

Hmm maybe i am doing it wrong? Football for me shows as 3.35m exacts, fishing 1.5m, tennis 1.83m, any ideas what i'm doing wrong? My search is set to UK results and i changed it to exact in the dropdown?

This sport is not anywhere near as popular as football for example, or tennis, or golf, which makes me think £100k is way too much and £50k was a very good offer.

BTW does anyone have any sale prices for sports specific domains, eg tennis.co.uk etc?

BTW does anyone have any sale prices for sports specific domains, eg tennis.co.uk etc?
Domain Prices

These are sale prices from various sources eg forum, sedo etc. However, most large private sales are rarely published and will have a NDA.

Hmm maybe i am doing it wrong? Football for me shows as 3.35m exacts, fishing 1.5m, tennis 1.83m, any ideas what i'm doing wrong? My search is set to UK results and i changed it to exact in the dropdown?

You're reading the global figures, not the UK figures. You should be looking at "Local". The UK numbers for stuff like sport are usually less than 10% of the global (unless it's UK centric), and for a UK name, the global search is not relevant.

BTW, Fly.co.uk sold for £87,500 in 2007, so I'm not sure where you got your numbers from?

Last edited:
Thanks Ty.

How do i get just the 'local' results, can't seem to figure it?

I know fly.co.uk sold for £87.5k that's what makes me think £100k for this domain is very very expensive, as i know what i'd rather have :)

Thanks Ty.

How do i get just the 'local' results, can't seem to figure it?

I know fly.co.uk sold for £87.5k that's what makes me think £100k for this domain is very very expensive, as i know what i'd rather have :)

Sorry, I thought you said that Fly.co.uk sold for £20-40k in your earlier reply??

The search tool defaults to local if it's set to "UK, English", so I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.

One thing I would say is that I think it's quite dangerous to be buying names for high £xx,xxx on the strengths of metrics like exact match search if you are have problems just generating those numbers? Fair enough if the exact is actually irrelevant of course.

(I hope I'm not offending - but it's a hell of a lot of money for a domain if you're not 100% sure of your facts and they are the basis of a business plan or traffic projection!)

Sorry, I thought you said that Fly.co.uk sold for £20-40k in your earlier reply??

The search tool defaults to local if it's set to "UK, English", so I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.

One thing I would say is that I think it's quite dangerous to be buying names for high £xx,xxx on the strengths of metrics like exact match search if you are have problems just generating those numbers? Fair enough if the exact is actually irrelevant of course.

(I hope I'm not offending - but it's a hell of a lot of money for a domain if you're not 100% sure of your facts and they are the basis of a business plan or traffic projection!)

Thanks again, can't figure out these local settings, but will work on it :)

Not buying the domain purely on searches but that goes a long way towards this guys valuation i presume.

I'm also 'in the industry' as such and know i have use for it, but the more i look into it the more i think it seems overpriced.

It's about two inches from the top where you can set country codes.

edit: that seems an awful lot for croquet co uk :)

It's not sensible to speculate on values without knowing the actual name.

Amazing that you'd be prepared to go and offer £50K for a name when you don't even know how to get a real idea of the type of search volume it gets.

Working on that basis I'm sure there are plenty of people here who'd offer you some bargains by comparison.

Amazing that you'd be prepared to go and offer £50K for a name when you don't even know how to get a real idea of the type of search volume it gets.

Working on that basis I'm sure there are plenty of people here who'd offer you some bargains by comparison.

Here here :D

Likewise search volume can be very misleading, and to a degree a £50k+ name probably trancends current stats data.

I mean those who paid £50k based on OV data might now be the ones paying £50k based on goog data.

slow and steady loses the race

i was gonna make a comment about the sense and sensibility of someone with 50k burning a hole in his pocket not knowing how to figure out fundamental stuff about the domain they're about to buy....but I won't.....it could quite easily be a Mr Terry from the London area looking to spend half a weeks wages on an great name 'in his industry!'

Thanks for the comments people, i've certainly been put in my place!

However the proposed purchase was never based on number of searches, as the domain is one of, if not the ultimate for the industry i am in. So to me it is valuable, but to 99% of people on here it would not hold the same value. I was simply interested to see what people with no connection to my industry would value it at, and a lot of the valuation i believe is based on number of searches, so that was the obvious starting point and the only way of getting a valuation without revealing the name! Obviosuly not revealing the domain has not helped, but i think i'll keep it quiet for now :D

Oh well, not decided yet anyway, £50k offer still on table and will update if there is any development!

BTW if anyone does have any premium domains they are selling, or need to sell to free up funds then let me know as i have cash waiting ;)

Football less than a million UK searches a month on Google? No chance. More like 30 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom